Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?

Go down 
+17
mizzy
Birdman
golfool2009
G_Man
asahi
zhenxua
slinger
Lee36328
wilkang
alvin7379
JGoh
Roystonnn
duffader
DGman
sunny
Wu Song
pocketace
21 posters
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  Empty
PostSubject: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:30 am

Folks
have you experienced this? It you are face with a 8 footer for birdie, you inevitably leave it short for a gimme par. But if you are faced with the [/b]same[/b] 8 footer for par, you will ram it into the cup

funny thing is I've probably made more par and bogey putts which are longer than birdie putt. It's not the equipment, perhaps technique, but definitely the stuff between the ears.

How do you 'high hand' golfers overcome this? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Wu Song
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Wu Song

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Breathing and don't keep thinking about it. Cos the more you think, the more you feel the pressure.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Bro, the old saying is the hardest 6 inches of putting is the 6 inches between your ears
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 2:48 pm

a putt is a putt. no different if its eagle or double bogey. to do so, you just need to focus on the task of making a good stroke to send the ball to the hole.

when you think its a must make birdie, you are just getting yourself worked up and focus on making on a -1 score but forgot about sending the ball to the hole. In short you are focus on the result and not on the task. unless you have exceptional will, it usually is counter productive.

there are lots of techniques to "quiet oneself", "stay in the zone", "clear one's mind" or even and "wait to pull the trigger". when you putt you should enjoy the response from the ball rolling off the face of the putter and not fear the outcome. only then can you attain predictable results from your putt.

Hope its useful...as to how all the above can be achieved, i will not write about them here. those who have visited the Den have gotten some form of instructions, tips, drills...call it whatever...if you have bothered to note down the points and add your own preference, you will improve by leaps and bounds in both your putting and short game.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 2:57 pm

I just keep telling myself... $15, $15,$15..... Then miss... Next will be Printed circuit board, follow by, dun miss, dun miss, dun miss.... Smile
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks all. I'll internalize these pointers. With better outcome hopefully!
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 3:17 pm

So true... Today i got 8 birdie putts, rangin frm 5ft to 10ft.. 5 turned out bogey.. Wat the heck..

I tink too much self pressure for birdie..
grip gets tense, take away not natural.. Bla bla bla..
Next time jus treat it as bogey putt..
Back to top Go down
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Every time you get a birdie putt, tell your mates "bet 10 to 1 that i miss, how?". When you lose long enough, you will get used to the pressure.. and overcome it in no time.. why do you think the pro don't miss their eagles? They missed it enough, cost them enough... now it's no pressure to them... it's call <歪理>
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:16 pm

I think I more stress when I trying not to 3 putt for the final BIG SNAKE..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:19 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
I think I more stress when I trying not to 3 putt for the final BIG SNAKE..... Laughing

Ayyy..King Snake charmer...When will you be free to drink ah??
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:21 pm

wilkang wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

Ayyy..King Snake charmer...When will you be free to drink ah??
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Haizz.... visa are hard to come by these days u know...

Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Imagine walking on a plank on the ground, 4 inches wide, keeping your feet on the plank, without losing your balance or touching the ground.

No problem, right?

Now, imagine you are walking that same plank, except the plank is suspended in mid air, 50 meters above ground, no safety net.

Is the feeling the same? Is the mindset the same? Definitely different right?

The brain goes into panic mode, the famous fright fight or flight mode. You can barely stand up, never mind walk the plank.

Fight or Flight Response

What happens to the body during a fight or flight response?

Hormones flood the body to prepare it for violent muscular action. These include the following:
  • Acceleration of heart and lung action (you breath heavily, and your heart rate goes up)
  • Liberation of nutrients (particularly fat and glucose) for muscular action
  • Dilation of blood vessels for muscles
  • Dilation of pupil (mydriasis)
  • Relaxation of bladder
  • Auditory exclusion (loss of hearing)
  • Tunnel vision (loss of peripheral vision)
  • Acceleration of instantaneous reflexes
  • Shaking

See how almost every single point above is bad for putting?

Our body is now prepared to fight for our lives, or run for our lives. The muscles are pumped and primed for a violent trigger-reaction. With all that going on, when we try to execute a delicate movement like a putt, is it any wonder that we miss?

Solution? Unfortunately, it's easier said than done because that's how we are wired. Try to reduce the attachment to what's at stake. If you think about what's at stake, a birdie, a bet, winning the round, or winning a tournament, chances are, you'll miss the putt. Make that putt like it doesn't matter, and chances are, it will go in.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 6:05 pm

alvin7379 wrote:

psst..... tell u secret hor

when play small/big snakes, i always club down n dun go for green....

easier to chip near n then 2 putts..... no 3 putts de

Superman
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I find the birdie putt easier to make when my wallet's almost empty ...
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm

zhenxua wrote:
I find the birdie putt easier to make when my wallet's almost empty ...

The words of a buaya... so when pocket got money, he never goes for the kill, just par and bogey can already. win 1 hole, still a win.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 9:25 pm

slinger wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

psst..... tell u secret hor

when play small/big snakes, i always club down n dun go for green....

easier to chip near n then 2 putts..... no 3 putts de

Superman

slinger 101 to winning snakes......"copying down furiously"

Noted.

lol!
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 9:49 pm

duffader wrote:
I just keep telling myself... $15, $15,$15..... Then miss... Next will be Printed circuit board, follow by, dun miss, dun miss, dun miss.... Smile

Bro. got to ask!!

why shout Printed Curcuit Board??? and pls hor... $15 is below you....

anyway... for those that dont know... a 5 foot hard putt is called a Danny De Vito.
under 5 feet, short and ugly...
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 10:03 pm

For me, a birdie putt is no different than a par putt...they're both damn dificult to make even if it's 5 feet.....but give a me a 30ft triple break, triple tier putt for double par, and i will drain it with my eyes closed.....every single time......haha
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 10:51 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
For me, a birdie putt is no different than a par putt...they're both damn dificult to make even if it's 5 feet.....but give a me a 30ft triple break, triple tier putt for double par, and i will drain it with my eyes closed.....every single time......haha

Something else you got to drain GF, I smell compost of bovine origins wafting over from your nethers. ROFL
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 11:34 pm

why? because i kan cheong spider.. that's why..
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:42 am

I think most people think more about the score than the actual execution . most pro doesn't think of the score which mean they focus on executing the best shot/stroke they can. if you have a good routine and focusing on roling on the line you should be able to make more of those. try take you time and feel relax. and always be positive thinking. Like my coach here (australia ) say never underestimate the stairs of the mind and focus!

hope it help
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 2:33 pm

its called the "yips". I encounter it each time I need to make the putt to draw / win the hole. If I already won the hole or lose the hole, I can make the putt with my 2 eyes close. Just don't know why.
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Winston... *nosebleed* Shocked

Laughing
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 6:34 pm

LOL was going to say, if she was standing in front of me, sure make the putt one, cause not thinking about the putt at all = no pressure putt (the mind is praying hard for a gust of wind)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?    Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why does birdie putt seem harder to make than par putt?
Page 1 of 1