Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing

Go down 
+11
alvin7379
Muimui
watermyforrest
slinger
blee67
neutralgolfer
golf_snowman
eiji
pippin
ngjw89
lszomb
15 posters
AuthorMessage
lszomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing Empty
PostSubject: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi bros, as a fresh newbie, want to get some comments about stabilizing the golf swing. I believe the first thing I should pick up is learn how to swing. Therefore I enrolled a golf orientation course. After that I start to practice at range. Due to the nature of learning curve, I might gain muscle and distance quickly at beginning and turn to be saturated or flatted latter on which produce a consist distance for my swing. The question is how long does it take to reach this point or after strike how many balls for a typical person without gifts. The main reason for asking for this is trying to figure out when will be the best time to review my club setup if I decide to continuosly play which could save some damages for me. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 12:48 pm

i think consistency comes fairly easily, perhaps a couple of months for most people? it's whether you're doing the right or wrong thing consistently. e.g. i can hit my driver the same way many times in a row, but it's the biggest slice ever. consistent, but not in doing what i want to do (hitting it straight)
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 1:25 pm

I've been playing for sometime... still sucks at it... well... dun give up and go back to coach if need be.

Clubs matter lots tho... so start investing!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 1:28 pm

A good and honest coach not tied to any kickbacks/a sincere passionate and honest clubfitter would be the best to make the recommendation of when you have a consistent swing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:25 pm

after playing for the past few years...my swing still not consistent....sad !!!
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:31 pm

How long is very subjective, it depends on how sound is your fundamentals, how much you practice and go to the green. Every shot on the range is constant, but on the course is variable as the lie is very different every shot.

I have been playing for about 10 years, but I wouldn't say my swing is consistent as well. Still I will duff, slice and hook at times.

If you are serious and can afford, I would suggest that you engage a coach to review your swing every 3-6 months.

Typically you should focus on the fundamentals like grip, stance, back swing, ball striking and follow through, etc. When your fundamentals are good, it will give you a more consistent swing.

Golf is a long learning process. Even the PROs are getting a swing coach now and then, what do you think we should do?

Just my 2 cents. Smile
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:37 pm

golf_snowman wrote:

says one who goes round playing all over the world like a PGA player... tongue
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:43 pm

neutralgolfer wrote:

I have been playing for about 10 years, but I wouldn't say my swing is consistent as well. Still I will duff, slice and hook at times.

Just my 2 cents. Smile

at least i not so bad..... only 8 years

but still duff slice n hook as well....

seibei frustrating....
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:44 pm

blee wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:

says one who goes round playing all over the world like a PGA player... tongue

Exactly... furthermore always change gear to the latest... just like a PGA player... Razz
GS: I'm still waiting for another game with you and bro CCC
Back to top Go down
lszomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the valuable comments. Will try my best. My current clubs are good enf or more than enf which should last for long time for me. Will focus on fundamental as of now.
Back to top Go down
Muimui
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:09 pm

It depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. I had my first lesson 2 weeks ago after playing for about a year but I go to the range 5 times a week. After the first week my coach said I was doing well during my second session. I plan to see him once every 2 weeks for the first 10 lessons maybe more and get my basics right and then go at it on my own with maybe a lesson/checkup once every 3 months.

As for consistency, I don't think its a good idea to get fitted so early in the game unless you're physically very tall, short etc. Reason being you'll be going through a lot of swing changes throughout your orientation. I'll give myself as an example, during my first lesson we were addressing a bad head dip during my back swing which in turn caused me to come to steeply onto the ball during the downswing. We rectified this by having me feel that I was lifting my head by the same amount that I was dipping during the back swing. The results were that I was topping the ball which is only natural since the head dip was about 2 inches. So for the next few days I was topping the ball. My coach always says this, if you're hitting the ball solid straight away after making changes you're not doing it right. Usually it takes about 200 to 300 balls to get into the groove. Sure you'll hit some of those balls solid and see it really fly but for the most part they're going to be bad, just something to keep in mind. By the 4th and 5th basket you should be okay but by that time you might want to take your next lesson and the work continues. I've only taken 2 lessons as of now and the ball flight looks better and contact feels better but I expect the bigger improvements be felt later on maybe during the 5th or 6th lesson. Happy golfing Smile
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:14 pm

slinger wrote:

seibei frustrating....

oh please....... White Flag
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:27 pm

I know how fast I realized I can't hv decent swing
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:28 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
slinger wrote:

seibei frustrating....

He forgot to mention he also into acting for the last 6 years.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 3:28 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
slinger wrote:

seibei frustrating....

Chippy, he does that when not betting or confirm win by one hole... ROFL
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:00 am

slinger wrote:
neutralgolfer wrote:

Just my 2 cents. Smile

seibei frustrating....

Haha, you more talented than me...
Back to top Go down
jeremykoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am

Some took awhile some took a lifetime depend on who you consult ...
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Too many variable.

When to review clubs depends on the level of commitment instead of skill.
Nobody says lousy player cnt use players irons. Neither does it mean good players cnt play g.i clubs.

Many who bought new clubs at the start gave up after 3 mths.
Many who used hand me downs are still using them.

But if u cn endure the pains, joys, victories n losses. N esp if u have cash to spare.
Buying new equipment will make the game more exciting for sure.
Back to top Go down
lszomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 pm

DLWL wrote:
Too many variable.

When to review clubs depends on the level of commitment instead of skill.
Nobody says lousy player cnt use players irons. Neither does it mean good players cnt play g.i clubs.

Many who bought new clubs at the start gave up after 3 mths.
Many who used hand me downs are still using them.

But if u cn endure the pains, joys, victories n losses. N esp if u have cash to spare.
Buying new equipment will make the game more exciting for sure.

Thanks, the case for me is I want to know when shall I confirm to "downgrade" to more gi clubs as I already reach the bottleneck and I should get some helps from clubs and pros.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing   How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How long does it take to develop a consist or decent swing
Page 1 of 1