Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course

Go down 
+8
Ngn52
audi
DLWL
jaketang
Gofnut
nutty88
9points
pocketace
12 posters
AuthorMessage
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course Empty
PostSubject: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm going thru lesson 2 of a batch of intermediate lessons. Working on Some adjustments to setup and work on short game to hopefully score better.

I'm a believer of periodically getting the swing and short game looked at from time to time by a teaching pro.

While I can hit it pretty close to what the coach is teaching during lessons, I find it hard to bring the new swing onto the golf course

It's a confidence thing, i reckon, probably need more practice. I'm curious, How long do you normally take to groove in a new swing before you are confident to take it on course? Do you have any tips to share? Thanks
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 pm

pocketace wrote:
I'm going thru lesson 2 of a batch of intermediate lessons. Working on Some adjustments to setup and work on short game to hopefully score better.

I'm a believer of periodically getting the swing and short game looked at from time to time by a teaching pro.

While I can hit it pretty close to what the coach is teaching during lessons, I find it hard to bring the new swing onto the golf course

It's a confidence thing, i reckon, probably need more practice. I'm curious, How long do you normally take to groove in a new swing before you are confident to take it on course? Do you have any tips to share? Thanks

Hi pocketace,

It is common when you are going through a swing change to feel this way.

Just my 2cents worth, I think the part with finding it hard to bring the new swing onto the golf course is more to the time required to TRUST the new thing you are working on and feeling COMFORTABLE with executing it, which eventually end up with the CONFIDENCE part you mentioned.

It is quite hard to put a time frame into this though I suppose it differs with every individual. Some adjust themselves pretty quickly to new changes, while some take a longer while. Well, you are getting out of your old comfort zone to get into a new one, so be patient and stick with it.

IMHO, when you are out on the course, perhaps try not to let scores effect you at all. Your scores probably gonna rocket up a lil than usual and you just gonna have to get through that part. Think bout taking a lil step back to leap further forward. Don't keep scores for the time being when you are out on the course and just focus on the things that you are working on with your coach and executing it until it come to a point where you start to feel comfortable then you start scoring again.

It may or may not work with you but at least that's how I managed to get through that stage before.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:33 pm

the hard part is trying to put a decent score so as not to lose the wager...
hmm... perhaps stop the side bets in the next few rounds?? Laughing

thanks for your thoughts on this.
I like this statement "Think bout taking a lil step back to leap further forward." Beer
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:42 pm

tough choice here for ya bro, between staying in your old comfort zone in order to have a decent chance to win the wager and getting into a new better zone, but in the process, might sacrifice some wager $$ Very Happy Very Happy haha...

but yeah, only you truly know what you want bro. One can only share some thoughts with you but the ultimate decision still on you Smile

Cheers mate and good luck with the journey...
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 4:14 pm

It is best to stop any form of wager during swing change or else you may fall back on your old style when the heat is on. Stick with the game plan and grind through it.

I have recently gone through a major change as well (3 months back?) and it is slowly and painstakingly getting there. I usually try to play on a less crowded course so that i can hit another ball if I had a bad hit. I will spend a bit more time at the range and also do air swing at home whenever I can.

As one of the bros had mentioned, at times one has to take a few steps back in order to move one step forward. Perseverance is key and I am sure you will see light at the end of the tunnel. Just pray hard it is not an oncoming train.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 4:20 pm

I believe that is exactly what Tiger Woods went/still going through. Now we see him at a stage where he trusts his swing and the rewards are evident.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 pm

took so many years for me, instead of grooving in the swing...

think i lost it all over the place... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Must learn from the taichi master. One must forget all he has learned in order to master the new skills. affraid
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 5:45 pm

nutty88 wrote:
Must learn from the taichi master. One must forget all he has learned in order to master the new skills. affraid

seems like the longer i play, the more i forgot.... the worse i played.... Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Normally when I am working on part of my game.
I'll have a game at one of the executives myself to work on the real life feel of the changes.
Once the body has experienced it on the course. I find it easier to bring it to a real life game.
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 5:51 pm

jaketang wrote:
nutty88 wrote:

seems like the longer i play, the more i forgot.... the worse i played.... Sad Sad

ah.... but you must TOTALLY forget all you have learned. lol!
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 6:43 pm

nutty88 wrote:

As one of the bros had mentioned, at times one has to take a few steps back in order to move one step forward. Perseverance is key and I am sure you will see light at the end of the tunnel. Just pray hard it is not an oncoming train.

+1 preseverance is the key to success.

i'm having major swing change also. my old swing is very very flat and i use my hip to "push" (if u know what i mean). and this cause lower back pain.
Back to top Go down
Ngn52
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Guys, in order to have the right and perfect swing, base on your body structure, I will recommend "The Golf Studio" at Aljunied. My daughter (Handicap 14) went for the swing analysis, I am impressed!! Important is my daughter improve her game now.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 8:09 pm

What new swing????

Pocketace..

You were swinging & dancing last Friday... You don't need any swing change la....

Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Chien, you mean me posing pictures with the XMM? yah that swing no need to change

seriously, I didn't realised this topic got revived. Thanks for all feedback

I want to improve, so seeing a pro and I know what needs to be done, i just need to trust it

but when it comes to playing on course, when there is a few bucks on the line, I seem to creep back to the old comfort zone.... i.e. old swing.

or I will mess up executing a new swing... how? need time to practice methinks...
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Haha.. So when you playing with Felicia ? Laughing

Sorry.. Back to your post... Just to share.. I realised I play better when I have "alone time"... There was a time when I used to do 9 holes alone at Garden every week.. Didn't realize the benefits till now... During this 2 hours, I would be fine tuning what I learn, what I wanna do, trusting my swings, learning more about myself and my body etc...

No point playing more games w/o putting in play what you learn.. You may just be wasting your $$ and time with your coach...

Of cos, we can always pay together and not having a wager... I accept defeat before the game la.. Haaaa.. cheers
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:05 pm

coaching is not waste money, I always able to get something out of each coaching. Even if not 100%, it is still some way to improving my ball striking / short game etc.

I recall when I first started seeing SH, I was 22ishhcp, cannot hit a FW to save my life. I got turned away from club fitting by Eric at the Den, FML... Embarassed
today I'm 15ish hcp. cannot always play to hcp of course, but there were good days, and those were memorable
That, said, I still got plenty of room for improvement, that is why I am keen to learn.

get Andy to fix the April game soon... cannot wait!

btw, Felicia wanted to see you, me and Andy... pronto!
Gosh... sounds kinda messy Cool
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 pm

sorry, read your post wrongly, I meant to say, I will try to perserve and put in what the coach teaches... and try to implement as much of the improvements as possible on actual game.

Cos I was able to do so bit by bit in the past... so, just going thru that process now...

The road is long.....
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Most importantly, you gotta enjoy the learning process Smile Enjoy every step of it...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 11:20 pm

I need around 6 games coz I seldom go range
Back to top Go down
TK
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TK

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 am

Started taking lessons again and trying to transition to a new swing. Quite frustrating as I keep reverting to old rhythm!
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Just wondering....

Shouldn't the question be:

"How many course sessions do you need before your swing change is grooved?"

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course   How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How long you take to groove a swing change before taking it to the course
Page 1 of 1