Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Taking divot during practice swing

Go down 
+11
asahi
willytan
Quest
Turbo
beehome
kyleyann
Nam Flog
flashpacker
Denmeister
enwee
chuangyee
15 posters
AuthorMessage
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Taking divot during practice swing Empty
PostSubject: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Guys

I have this habit of taking a divot during my practice swing to remind myself to hit down. I wish to know if this is ok and not violating any rule. Anyone knows? Thanks
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 5:27 pm

chuangyee wrote:
Hi Guys

I have this habit of taking a divot during my practice swing to remind myself to hit down. I wish to know if this is ok and not violating any rule. Anyone knows? Thanks
It's ok as long as your repair it after that.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 6:00 pm

There are rules and there are etiquette. 

There is no rule saying that u cannot take divot on practice swings.

However, golf etiquette frowns upon that.  Imagine a person taking 5 practice swings and creates 5 divots before taking another one during the actual swing.

Best not to divot during practice swing.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 6:18 pm

i dont think the pros take divots during practice swings, perhaps except when chipping
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Denmeister wrote:
There are rules and there are etiquette. 

There is no rule saying that u cannot take divot on practice swings.

However, golf etiquette frowns upon that.  Imagine a person taking 5 practice swings and creates 5 divots before taking another one during the actual swing.

Best not to divot during practice swing.
Completely agree.

One of my kaki takes bigger divots on practice swings than actual swing. I know cannot fault him….but just somehow I feel that it is in-appropriate.

I try to bruise the grass on practice swings.
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm one of those guilty of taking divots for practice swing. It helps me check my swing path and direction, especially on uneven lies. I think it's a useful drill, though one should repair all divots that he makes.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 12:59 am

I am one who do not take divot while practise swing. Maybe tt is y my irons are lousy. haha...
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 1:32 am

I don't create divot or ground the club when taking practise swing ... But I would graze the grass when executing a practise swing with my wedge (for out of rough shot or chipping) ...
Back to top Go down
Quest
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Quest

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 am

I was taught when I first took up the game that divots should not be taken for practice swings. Chipping is OK as no divots and only brushing against the grass.

Last edited by Quest on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 12:27 pm

If u have the habit of practice swing prior to taking a shot, make sure u do it for every shot.

I usually dun do practice swings unless the lie is not good or I m not comfortable/unsure of the situation. But I make sure that my swing will brush the ground instead of taking a divot bcos it tells me I m swinging the club smoothly instead of holding/griping too tightly.

Always have the habit of repairing ur divots as u will never know one of these days ur ball might land in a divot which might cause u a stroke or two.

That's just me.

Last edited by willytan on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Was told to show more etiquette by not taking divots during practice swings.

1 is bad/good enough for the actual swing.
Back to top Go down
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure. I have got friends who constantly break rules (feeling the grain of the grass on the green). I will surely repair the divots.
Back to top Go down
jetster
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Being a beginner I can understand, sometimes accidentally take a divot during practice swing but I think as long as we repair it, it's OK. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:01 am

I don't see any problem in taking a divot with a practice swing. But, I think folks who take lots of practice swings should be given the glare. Seriously, how many practice swings do you need? To Den's point, I'm not opposed to a person taking divots but to take 5 practice swings seems excessive.

My take is that it's usually 1-2 practice swings and if you do take divots (even 1-2), then repair them please, like how you would a normal swing.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 9:04 am

One of the best compliments that I have heard: "Wah, Sam, your golf improved alot hor! Now you don't take divot on your practice swing!" Ha ha.

It makes sense not to take divot on practice swings. This is common sense care for the course and respect for other golfers. Repairing the divot is a must but I have never enjoyed playing a shot out of a "mini bunker" so let's do what we can to keep the course beautiful.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2014 11:21 am

Nothing against taking divot during practice swing as long as its repaired.. and not like more than 1 or 2. Personally i dun take divot during practice swing, just brush the grass, its tiring enough to play 18 hole.. dun want to swing too much also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking divot during practice swing   Taking divot during practice swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taking divot during practice swing
Page 1 of 1