Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?

Go down 
+14
botak
nrafee
dmateo
enwee
jamezponk
sob
nientsu
haragolfer
peace2903
Bangla123
Aloyboy
freedrop
Slicer51
Turbo
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? Empty
PostSubject: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 am

Is improving his stance by removing impediment a violation of the golf rule? By right he can only stand firmly on the ground by perhaps digging into the ground with his feets without actually removing the impediments (leaves) with his hands. Any PRO can comment on this ruling? In the meantime, take a look what Bubba did ...

Last edited by Turbo on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? Empty
PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 10:49 am

I though removing lose impediments is allow unless ball in bunker and hazard. No ?
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 am

Rule 23-1 states, "Except when both the loose impediment and the ball lie in or touch the same hazard, any loose impediment may be removed without penalty."

He wasn't in a hazard so looks like no penalty.
Back to top Go down
Aloyboy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Aloyboy

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 am

dont think it was a penalty... ive seen almost every pro do that when they are in the woods...

saw ian poulter did something like that in Barclays Singapore Open..
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Its only cheating if he got caught or pointed out by his playing partners/referee there and then .. Now its just bad taste to bring it up.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Bangla... if read posts before you, not a penalty leh.... unless the ball moved.... sheeshh...
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 pm

after our history of shooting down pros in GR, who would still want to comment?
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 pm

peace2903 wrote:
Bangla... if read posts before you, not a penalty leh.... unless the ball moved.... sheeshh...

If you read my post clearly you would understand Im not talking about whether it is a penalty or not. I simply implied its bad taste to talk shit about someone who has worked hard to win a major golf title. Clear enough?

Hope it helps:)
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Yea. Always tot you can remove the twigs and leaves you are standing on, provided you are nots in the hazard or it does not affect the position of the ball.'

Anyway, it just occurred to me, we all play friendly, rules matter more or friendship matter more?
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 7:58 pm

haragolfer wrote:

Touché bro!
Back to top Go down
jamezponk
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
peace2903 wrote:

If you read my post clearly you would understand Im not talking about whether it is a penalty or not. I simply implied its bad taste to talk shit about someone who has worked hard to win a major golf title. Clear enough?

Hope it helps:)

Enjoy your responses Bangla!
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Thank you, I try my best .
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Actually I thought It's alright to remove loose impediments like twigs, leaves etc as long as the ball don't move. I don't think there's anything wrong about it. Unless the place where the ball was, was declared as hazard with red or yellow stakes. I certainly don't see it on TV. Perhaps when I got a chance to play there I would know better. Smile Furthermore if he had broke any rules, it's on live TV, the whole world and the official would had seen immediately.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
Its only cheating if he got caught or pointed out by his playing partners/referee there and then .. Now its just bad taste to bring it up.

could also be after... dustin johnson "sand bunker" incident was pointed out a day after ?
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 10:51 pm

dmateo wrote:
Bangla123 wrote:

could also be after... dustin johnson "sand bunker" incident was pointed out a day after ?

True that, but this is the masters we re talking about
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 10:52 pm

haragolfer wrote:

+1 Like..
Back to top Go down
botak
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
botak

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Bangla123 wrote:
dmateo wrote:
Bangla123 wrote:

Does it matter whether it's the Masters or PGA?
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 am

botak wrote:
Bangla123 wrote:
dmateo wrote:
Bangla123 wrote:

Does it matter whether it's the Masters or PGA?

Well bigger events always have bigger reactions don't you think? The fact is he played well and made a great shot to clinch the win. Was the advantage significant? Maybe that's the question. At the end of the day slamming him just undermines his win .. Unless you think he has absoloutely no right in winning the tournament. Rules are rules.. But being so picky to a t just kills the magic of the sport don't you think?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 11:22 am

Bangla123 wrote:

The tourney that Dustin Johnson violated the golf rule was also a major championship, it is the PGA Championship 2010. Anyway, above is a video of the incidence for reference and educational purpose.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 11:57 am

Bangla123 wrote:

Well bigger events always have bigger reactions don't you think? The fact is he played well and made a great shot to clinch the win. Was the advantage significant? Maybe that's the question. At the end of the day slamming him just undermines his win .. Unless you think he has absoloutely no right in winning the tournament. Rules are rules.. But being so picky to a t just kills the magic of the sport don't you think?

But people from the other side of the camp (that is Oosthuizen's camp) may not think that way. If Bubba really violated the rule, he gets a 2-point penalty and Oosthuizen may have forced a 3rd sudden death play off or even won the tourney without having to proceed to another playoff.

I don't quite agree with your above statement ... Well, since it is a prestigious Major championship, all the more the rules must be even stricter and that also suggest why all Major championships are played in very tough courses.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 12:36 pm

That's the problem when ppl dun think there's a need To follow the rules, rules r there for a reason....
Back to top Go down
JL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JL

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Zzzzz.. Bubba won. Relax peeps.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 2:05 pm

JL wrote:
Zzzzz.. Bubba won. Relax peeps.

Dun get us wrong, we are not arguing whether Bubba won the Master albeit he violated the rule or not but we are merely discussing out of educational purpose and for our general knowledge. Unless you're clear, you dun bring it up, you would be forever living in the dark and never improve. Agree? Smile
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 2:08 pm

why argue? just write to USGA or R&A see if they replied.

Dustin Johnson's case was he grounded the club in the bunker. IMHO, this is the local rule, just like many years ago in Laguna.
Back to top Go down
JL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JL

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Ummm.. As far as I know. Improving stance in hazards are not allowed. U cannot improve the lie of the ball but as far as being in the trees it's not considered as hazards. U can remove the twigs n stuff as long as the ball doesn't move.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?   OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

OMG! Did Bubba actually violated the rule of golf to win the Master @ Augusta 2012?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next