Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question on golf rule

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

Question on golf rule Empty
PostSubject: Question on golf rule   Question on golf rule I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:55 am

On Memorial Tournament last night, Rory rd1 hole 12 tee shot go inside the bunker, 2nd shot roll off the green into water. We went back to the tee box again to resume.

Isn't he just need to drop the ball somewhere before the water? Question Question Question scratch
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Question on golf rule   Question on golf rule I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:20 am

kenkong79 wrote:
On Memorial Tournament last night, Rory rd1 hole 12 tee shot go inside the bunker, 2nd shot roll off the green into water. We went back to the tee box again to resume.

Isn't he just need to drop the ball somewhere before the water? Question Question Question scratch

Bro,

I did not watch the above game and you did not mention the water was a water hazard or lateral water hazard.

The rule for water hazards (rule 26)

If your ball is in a water hazard (yellow stakes and / or lines) you may play the ball as it is or under penalty of one stoke

- play a ball from where you last shot was played, or
- drop a ball any distance behind the water hazard keeping a straight line between the holes, the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard and the spot on which the ball is dropped.

If you ball is in a lateral water hazard (red stakes and / or lines), in addition to the option above, under penalty of one stroke, you may drop within club lengths of, and not near the hole than:

- the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard or
- a point on the opposite side of the hazard equidistant to the hole from the point where the ball last crossed the margin.

By saying so, you are correct that Rory shall have taken the 2nd option by drop the a ball any distance behind the water hazard since he do not want to drop the ball where he last shot in bunker.

However, I did not know what situation at that time for him to drop his ball far back at the tee box.

Back to top Go down
teegem
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
teegem

PostSubject: Re: Question on golf rule   Question on golf rule I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:41 am

From pga.com

Coming off back-to-back missed cuts that cost him his No. 1 ranking and ramped up the scrutiny, McIlroy took a quadruple bogey on his third hole of the tournament when he went from the bunker to the water, back over the pond to the drop area on a forward tee, and then into another bunker. He blasted onto the green and took two putts for a 7, and there were murmurs from the crowd to see him at 4-over par so early.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Question on golf rule   Question on golf rule I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Bro Kenkong,

Now I see what you mean after watching the video below. Hole 12 is par 3 and it carry over the water harzard from the tee box. I guess Rory did made the correct decision to drop his ball back at the tee box as it is the most flat ground option he has.

http://www.pgatour.com/video/r/highlights/top_shots/2012/05/31/qt12memorialrnd112quadmcilroypga-2115022/index.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question on golf rule   Question on golf rule I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question on golf rule
Page 1 of 1