Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is experience important in golf ?

Go down 
+5
Bangla123
altheamann
DRGjr72
Cyp_PGA
Duval_S
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Is experience important in golf ? Empty
PostSubject: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 6:45 pm

Watched the Hsbc ladies

Is experience in handling the stress?
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Yeah , it the familiarities with the pressure and the situation . I like to take Rory Mcilroy at the master last year . is a good example as he wasn't familiar leading a major which is more heat and presure than a normal event so his normal routine wasn't as sharp as normally is .... So if a player has never been in the situation before he is in an unfamiliar zone . So he doesn't know to act . but he react to situation.This can provoke high speed swing , pre-shot and frustration as well as not so sharp visualation of everyshot and perfect planning.

you got to be familiar with the pressure to make it that it doesn't affect you . there is couple method which mental coach do with their player to make sure there are fully prepare to be able to take the maximum heat without being affected. Like relaxation ( breathing ) , or situation the player dislike a lot such noise during back swing ect.... . it's why pre-shot routine is so important . it's where there will put themselves in a confort zone and the zone of focus that nothing else matter.

If you time the pre-shot routine of a tour pro it will always the same time from behind the ball and just before hitting the ball ...
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Some handle the pressure better than others. But experience can make it a little easier.

For example. When I first started playing golf, the 1st tee was a place for some of that anxiety. It subsided with experience. When I first started playing professionally there were times in a round that were more stressful than others (when playing well or poorly), that subsided with experience. When I playing in my one an only PGA Tour event I could not even pull the trigger on the first tee...subsided as the round and days came on. Basically my point is as you are in the realm it gets easier.

I played ice hockey for 13 years prior to playing golf and I can equate this accordingly. Every time I faced a new level of competition it was harder, faster, and more challenging. But after a few weeks/months it slowed down. Slowed enough to the point where I felt I was on the same level and could compete.

It is the same in golf. If you play enough at the highest level, it slows down and you get used to the surroundings and all the hooplah. Some people adapt at an early age and can deal with it right from the get go. Some people it takes a little more time. There are many more variables at play than just the stage.

Back to top Go down
altheamann
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 am

Experience is important and so is talent and skill. That 3 goes well together.
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 pm

At a toirnament level experience matters , at an amateur level not so much unless they have trained to a pro or low handicap skill level. Thts why as most old guys with those "self taught" swings rarely shoot Lower scores as they get older
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 1:43 pm

In Golf, experience doesn't seem to be an advantage at all.

Just look Yani Tseng & R-Mac. Both are less than 25 yrs of age and are dominating the field of Golf.

IMHO, Good Basic Skills, Good Mental Attitude and sometimes Luck makes a Golfer become a winner.

Look at athletes who have nasty attitude like Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, VJ Singh, the Spanish Bull ....their success do not last long
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Let me share you this story by R-Mac

What Rory thought
Last updated: 27th February 2012

Rory McIlroy believes that the mental and physical effort it took to beat Lee Westwood in Sunday morning's semi-final ultimately cost him the WGC-Accenture Match Play title in Arizona.

Feeling somewhat drained by his drama-packed all-British battle with Westwood which he eventually won 3&1, McIlroy started sluggishly in his afternoon 18-hole final against American Hunter Mahan and fluffed chances to get in front and by the 10th found himself 4-down.

He rediscovered some of the quality golf he had used to engineer his winning comeback against Westwood after being three-down, but this time it wasn't going to be enough as a resolute Mahan held him off and went on to win 2&1.

"I was so up for that (semi-final) match this morning," the 22-year-old McIlroy said after it was all over. "It was so great to get through.

"But I said it in here (the media centre) last night that the difficult thing would be to get myself up again for this afternoon.

Seems he was right.

"I tried to do the best I could and just got off to a slow start, which was disappointing. But I felt like I played some good golf on the back nine."

"This is no disrespect to the other two guys in the other semi-finals, Hunter and Mark (Wilson) but to me it was almost like my final in a way," McIlroy said.

"That was the one I wanted all week and I got it. And that's what I got myself up for. I knew I needed to play really well to beat Lee. I knew I needed my best golf out there this morning to get through."

Had his defeat strengthened McIlroy's resolve to become world number one or had his confidence taken a knock?

The Holywood Ulsterman answered that one by saying: "I've got two events coming up, the Honda (Classic) and Doral, and I just want to keep putting good results up on the board and trying to get a few wins.

"If I can do that, then ultimately getting to the top of the world rankings is hopefully inevitable.

"But for the time being, I think I can just put it out of my head somewhat and just try and focus on winning golf tournaments."

Overall, McIlroy said he could reflect on a positive week at Dove Mountain, which ended with him recording one eagle and three birdies in his last seven holes against Westwood.

"I got through a couple of matches early on the week, which could have gone either way," he added. "I dug in there and I was able to find some good golf when I needed to. So that was a positive.

"It's a good result. Not what I was looking for, but I can look back on this week and take many positives out of it."

source page
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 2:14 pm

experience comes with games....I suppose?

As such, someone who play more should be more experience
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 pm

HyBriD wrote:

Just look Yani Tseng & R-Mac. Both are less than 25 yrs of age and are dominating the field of Golf.

IMHO, Good Basic Skills, Good Mental Attitude and sometimes Luck makes a Golfer become a winner.

Look at athletes who have nasty attitude like Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, VJ Singh, the Spanish Bull ....their success do not last long

This reply is in no way a disrespect to your post (but I like a good debate), as I agree that the people you listed do indeed have poor attitudes for the most part or at least poor ones portrayed by the media, but I have to disagree that they did not have success.

I am also curious as to what long term success is based on given the examples you provided??

Patrick Ewing played 16 seasons in the NBA and is in the hall of fame.

Charles Barkley also played for 16 seasons and also is in the hall of fame. He also claimed quite famously that he is not a role model.

VJ Singh has 34 PGA Tour wins, 3 majors and was number one in the world, and in the world golf hall of fame. Also just some inside info on Vijay. A good friend of mine worked at TPC Sawgrass where Vijay practiced and he interacted with him on no less than 30 occasions and said once you got to know him he was a solid guy and he would give him some gear from time to time and even give him tips and pointers (my friend was trying to be a professional golfer as well). That seems like a pretty decent chap to me.

The Spanish Bull (guessing you mean Sergio Garcia) is the only one on the list who I would say has not had long term success due to his attitude. But he does have 7 PGA Tour victories, as well as 10 European tour victories. That may not be all that was expected of him, but winning any time on the Euro and PGA tours is very impressive, let alone 17 times. I do know however that his mental game is not what it used to be and that could be in part with an attitude problem.

Some people come across better than others. I know of a few guys on tour who "appear" to be good guys with a great attitude, but in real life away from the camera they are clearly not that at all.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Tiger Woods handled pressure very well when he was younger...now more experience...he seems to blow off once in a while, missing crucial putts etc
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am

IMHO, No doubt strong fundamental and consistence swing were important but I felt the most important is still experience .. I agreed with Duval " experience comes with more games and courses you played". I still remember my coach once told me " Do you know that mountain, seaside, flat ground golf courses. You need to know how to play them differently ?" .. just my 2 cts

Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
I still remember my coach once told me " Do you know that mountain, seaside, flat ground golf courses. You need to know how to play them differently ?" .. just my 2 cts

interesting.....

how about ktv, massage palours n health center?????

do we need to play differently??

seeking your 2 cts advise.......

flower
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 12:07 pm

slinger wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:
I still remember my coach once told me " Do you know that mountain, seaside, flat ground golf courses. You need to know how to play them differently ?" .. just my 2 cts

interesting.....

how about ktv, massage palours n health center?????

do we need to play differently??

seeking your 2 cts advise.......

flower

Bro,

You have just asked an expert questions on these areas. Ktv, massage palours and health center also need know how to play differently too hehehehe

I prefer to do demonstrate in KTV if you willing to come to Surabaya someday. drunken
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:
HyBriD wrote:

This reply is in no way a disrespect to your post (but I like a good debate), as I agree that the people you listed do indeed have poor attitudes for the most part or at least poor ones portrayed by the media, but I have to disagree that they did not have success.

I am also curious as to what long term success is based on given the examples you provided??

Patrick Ewing played 16 seasons in the NBA and is in the hall of fame.

Charles Barkley also played for 16 seasons and also is in the hall of fame. He also claimed quite famously that he is not a role model.

VJ Singh has 34 PGA Tour wins, 3 majors and was number one in the world, and in the world golf hall of fame. Also just some inside info on Vijay. A good friend of mine worked at TPC Sawgrass where Vijay practiced and he interacted with him on no less than 30 occasions and said once you got to know him he was a solid guy and he would give him some gear from time to time and even give him tips and pointers (my friend was trying to be a professional golfer as well). That seems like a pretty decent chap to me.

Bro DRGjr72,

Thank you for your insight on what I have posted.

Let me explain things based on what my friends say about these people.

They were shared to me by my friends from US of A.

Patrick Ewing was never made NY Knicks a champion team due to his.....
although he helped the US Dream Team to win in the Olympics but it was a short lived.

Sir Charles, he is my NBA idol to be honest, was always involved with bar fights and verbal tussles. They said after helping the 76ers win the championship with Moses Malone & Dr. J.

He couldnt lift his Phoenix to a dream champion. somehow all his actions outside the court brought his success downward. And even his Golf game is down and people "laugh at his swing." Poor him.

Just like Sir Charles, TW has to make a 360 degree turn on his actions so that he can be more successful continuously. If not, it will always on & off.

what I am deriving is to be successful, athletes most always maintain a clean living lifestyle. No arrogance or fist fights or womanizing.

Bobby Jones Jr. Jack Nicklaus Michael Jordan became successful becoz they were Good behaving athletes.

Wilt Chamberlain who admitted to have slept with more than a 100 women never was successful as compared to Bill Russel

A Taoist priest told me that it may take 3 years for TW to be liked he used to be if he stayed clean.

Divine Justice has a way to pull them down

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is experience important in golf ?   Is experience important in golf ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is experience important in golf ?
Page 1 of 1