Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How important are your balls... golf balls that is...

Go down 
+11
mUAr_cHEe
jimmychoo
zhenxua
weesern
slinger
Duval_S
daveaha
wilkang
pushslice
asahi
alvin7379
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What do you look for in your ball selection
Price
How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_lcap38%How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_rcap
 38% [ 26 ]
Brand
How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_lcap9%How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 6 ]
Performance that suits you
How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_lcap49%How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_rcap
 49% [ 34 ]
Latest Technology
How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_lcap3%How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Anything and Everything
How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_lcap1%How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Others
How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_lcap0%How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 69

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

How important are your balls... golf balls that is... Empty
PostSubject: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 1:54 pm

I'm sure you have heard of the phrase " The most used equipment during a golf game, is your golf ball, but how much effort have you really put into finding and using the right ball? "

It is not uncommon to see tons of golfers rushing to grab up the $10/doz golf balls during golf fairs or hunting and searching for the cheapest & best conditioned 2nd hand ones. To be frank... I am guilty of that as well.

It would be interesting to know the golf ball selection trend of Singapore golfers... and perhaps help identify the main criteria in ball selection... and see if the ball is indeed really that important to you in your game.

And people, please choose the option that you will practically go for.. not the option that sounds 'ideal' for you. This will help make the pooling much more accurate... happy voting!

If others, please indicate in thread cheers

*Voting ends 19th Nov, Friday*
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Voted liao. Got prizes for early entries? Razz
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:01 pm

asahi wrote:
Voted liao. Got prizes for early entries? Razz

Sleep
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:07 pm

balance between price and performance i.e. whatever ball is softest and/or spinniest on wedge shots for less than S$50.

for me they translate into: TM Penta from Golfdirect, TM TP balls (if I can find them) or second hand B330s from Nemo.

But I cant resist Noodle+ Long & Soft whenever I see one. Guess $15 a dozen is really a steal.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Psst, long Alvin, what are your balls.....as in what balls you using ah?
Is that a contributing factor to your longness?
Me forgot to check your balls out when we golfed the last time.
Razz
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:13 pm

I've seriously never thought that golf ball can be a factor in one's game.
Till i got ball fitted..lol
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:22 pm

wilkang wrote:

Orhh... so now must give me 2-2 What a Face

asahi wrote:
Psst, long Alvin, what are your balls.....as in what balls you using ah?
Is that a contributing factor to your longness?
Me forgot to check your balls out when we golfed the last time.
Razz

I have not tried everything but I gotta admit that certain balls does give that extra 10-15m in your drives... could be longer carry or could be more bounce.. would like to try out more brands if have the chance.. Very Happy

Like I mentioned in my first post, I use to belong to the "use anything as long as cheap" category... but that has helped me in a way by identifying balls that are better suited to my game. Now I am using the ProVs... but they give me a heart sinking feeling when I see them charge into the water & OBs.... Laughing

Last edited by alvin7379 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:23 pm

wilkang wrote:

Indeed... Used to use capalang and extra hard balls... until I tried softball... I got my first back/side spin from a bunker couple of weeks ago in OCC.... combination of my 58deg wedge, open club face, and the soft ball - shiok !
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 2:48 pm

I am curious with the ones who voted for "brand"... care to share your views? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 3:48 pm

I guess branding will gives assurance of quality and continued line of product.
Hence my preference for TM and titleist balls.

But like yr longness, me currently experimenting with different balls to look see look see.
Recently found that Top Flite Gamer V2 quite soft also, for me.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 5:16 pm

I was told by the advert that to play to one's ability....one needs to use titleist.....
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Whao... great response for the 1st day so far... cheers

Seems like quite evenly matched between people who go for Price and Performance. That's quite what I have mentioned earlier about my views on Singapore's trend! Perhaps the people who think otherwise would like to share your views?

On a side note:
I happen to be reading up on golf ball conformance to USGA Standard and found that each model of golf ball is approved for 1 year at a time. That leads me to think of how Titleist ProVs managed to be in the market for so long? Did Titleist renew the conformance test or were there 'upgrades' on the ProVs along the years which we were unaware of?
scratch

Please continue to add to the votes and hopefully we can see the overview results based on a large pool of golfers! Cheers.. Beer
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
I'm sure you have heard of the phrase " The most used equipment during a golf game, is your golf ball, but how much effort have you really put into finding and using the right ball? "

It is not uncommon to see tons of golfers rushing to grab up the $10/doz golf balls during golf fairs or hunting and searching for the cheapest & best conditioned 2nd hand ones. To be frank... I am guilty of that as well.

It would be interesting to know the golf ball selection trend of Singapore golfers... and perhaps help identify the main criteria in ball selection... and see if the ball is indeed really that important to you in your game.

And people, please choose the option that you will practically go for.. not the option that sounds 'ideal' for you. This will help make the pooling much more accurate... happy voting!

If others, please indicate in thread cheers

*Voting ends 19th Nov, Friday*

actually i though u like to play with your opponents balls....
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 pm

slinger wrote:

actually i though u like to play with your opponents balls....

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I think you are abit misinformed about me playing others' balls thingy... Laughing
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 12:46 am

i think you will use difference type of balls at different skill level....

but important is how to be able to control different type of balls...
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Bro Weesern made a good point... control of the ball... which is also the maneuverability of each shot... apart from using the right clubs... apparently the design of the ball makes a seemingly small but huge difference.

I use to think that any ball will do because my skill level not that good to spot any difference... until I 'accidentally' hit my first backspin with a premium ball... everything changed! What a Face
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 pm

what so good abt backspin.....

if can backspin, means good enough to give ppl strokes...

i cant backspin, so twr can give me 1-1....
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 pm

slinger wrote:
what so good abt backspin.....

if can backspin, means good enough to give ppl strokes...

i cant backspin, so twr can give me 1-1....

That's y I said accidentally... hiaks... must becareful of what I post before any games... tongue
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 1:36 pm

wah, can backspin liao

must gimme 4-4 tomorrow
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 1:41 pm

backspin looks good but if dunno where to land the ball also useless
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 1:43 pm

weesern wrote:
backspin looks good but if dunno where to land the ball also useless

Yes!... see olready shiok for that 1-2 sec only... but actually ball roll out of green... %#&^%$*&
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 1:59 pm

I once did a screw tarik out of a bunker shot with a don't know what brand....Volvik or something like that. I was so happy and swear to everyone that I will use that ball only.
But after that bunker shot, I have never did a tarik again with that ball or others. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 3:15 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Bro Weesern made a good point... control of the ball... which is also the maneuverability of each shot... apart from using the right clubs... apparently the design of the ball makes a seemingly small but huge difference.

I use to think that any ball will do because my skill level not that good to spot any difference... until I 'accidentally' hit my first backspin with a premium ball... everything changed! What a Face

i can hit a backspin with a distance ball. but what use is it if u land it short of the pin and back spin? the ball mark will be in your way!!!
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:03 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

i can hit a backspin with a distance ball. but what use is it if u land it short of the pin and back spin? the ball mark will be in your way!!!

hehe... you see ah bro MC... the fact is... I have no control of whether the ball land before or after the pin... not with my current standard at least...

But to see a good wedge shot bite and backspin on the green just felt good... regardless it land before or after or it roll nearer to the hole or out of the green!
lol!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:07 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
But to see a good wedge shot bite and backspin on the green just felt good... regardless it land before or after or it roll nearer to the hole or out of the green!
lol!

I AGREED!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important are your balls... golf balls that is...   How important are your balls... golf balls that is... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How important are your balls... golf balls that is...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next