Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)

Go down 
+11
Agumon
DGman
S70B
Technospaz
mUAr_cHEe
tronos
kopiO
jaketang
mervyntan
Duval_S
Salty Dog
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) Empty
PostSubject: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Do you think grip makes a big difference in your game and why?

I know that after-market shaft are much better than stock shaft, but do you think that after-market grips like Golf Pride is much better than the stock grip for irons like Mizuno?

I've heard some people actually buy a new set of irons, and immediately bring it to a club fitter to change the grip. Is this still the practise or is this a waste?

How many of you are still using the original stock grip from the irons?

Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks for putting this up......I for one will attest that the right grip is very berry important...and I am saying this not becos that after changing, I am hitting my hybrid much better and better contact.....but the overall feel when you setup ...just gives me more confident...

The right grip is not only stop at the brand...but the size of grip.....

I am soon going to change all my irons (although they are still new) to the right grip.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 10:57 pm

hey SD, long time no see..
grips are extremely important, in the sense that it is the link between your hands and the club.

i think grip size is important, as it controls alot of subconscious feedback movements that your hand makes, as well as allowing the amount of power that is transmitted through the club.

for grips, i feel that new golf pride grips do have a certain tacky feel. if the clubs that i buy do not come with golf pride grips, i will go change it as i am used to the overall configuration of the grip, with the top rough and bottom not so rough different material.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:05 pm

to me. grip is very very important....

why? let say i play left hand n at the beginning, i got prob buying glove, so many a time i play w/o glove.... so slowly my swing becomes worse..... (coz i am gripping the club harder n harder due to i have quite sweaty palms..)

then after i got my glove, i still grip the club hard... (cant remb the grip type but still abit slippery)

after playing for sometime, some how i got a chance to know some club fitter n talk to them.... they change my grip according to my palm size too n also those "rough" type (damm, i still cant remb what they call but for sweaty palms wan)...

i bring it to the range to try... the moment i hold the club, i know it wont fly out of my hand n i swing smoothly... the ball fly further then b4....but most impt, i swing more confident...
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 11:12 pm

is that you, pat? really no time no see or hear...

i think your question should be whether stock grip and aftermarket grip is of the same quality... ref stock shaft vs aftermarket shaft...

if u look carefully, the stock grips are also from golf pride or lamkin or winn... eg. mizuno ones are golf pride tour velvet, one of the most popular around...

to me, it is juz personal feel and between the two ears lah...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 am

most prefer corded grip (standard stock is rubber version). Also the sizing is standard, many have sizing preference (no of tape wrappings etc) when i hit a new driver, i got blisters as the grip is too thin on my right hand.

the stock is a Lamkin crossline, which is a good grip, just the standard sizing is not for me.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 6:24 am

SD, long time no see cyberly and physically! hope all is well.

Salty Dog wrote:
I've heard some people actually buy a new set of irons, and immediately bring it to a club fitter to change the grip. Is this still the practise or is this a waste?

thats me. neither, it is my preference.

i like to play golf pride's multi-compound or their cord grips and these hardly come in as stock grips. so i just get them changed immediately, but it is usually not a problem, becuz i change out of stock shaft too.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 6:30 am

I used to think that grip is not important but I've learned otherwise. Grip plays an important role in a good golf shot. With a good grip, you can feel the club in your hands and have more confidence in the swing. It also makes it easier for you to shape your shot (I can dream, can't I?). On the home front, I've swapped the grips of my woods and will be moving to my irons next.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 7:05 am

mervyntan wrote:
hey SD, long time no see..
grips are extremely important, in the sense that it is the link between your hands and the club.

i think grip size is important, as it controls alot of subconscious feedback movements that your hand makes, as well as allowing the amount of power that is transmitted through the club.

for grips, i feel that new golf pride grips do have a certain tacky feel. if the clubs that i buy do not come with golf pride grips, i will go change it as i am used to the overall configuration of the grip, with the top rough and bottom not so rough different material.
What he said.

To add on, grip size might affect your ball flight too so get the correct fit.

I buy my irons here in US so I will include my grip type and size to them during the ordering. Luckily, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cords here can be selected with the amount of tape that you require at no extra upcharge from all the Manufacturers.

Most important thing to do about your grips is to WASH them frequently. I do it after every 18 holes with water and dishwashing detergent. This keeps the grips tacky and prolongs their lifespan. Why do it? They come into contact with your sweaty palms, sunblock, moisturiser, insect repellant, rain, fertilizer, earthworm droppings and god-knows-what-they-use on the golf course when you put them down on the ground during hitting, chipping and putting how much of it is picked up on it?

Hows that curry puff or hot dog tasting now during the round? geek
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 7:09 am

I definitely agree with washing your grips. I use some washing soap powder instead of detergent. It cleans the grip and you'll be surprised how dirty it is after a game, particularly in our region where humidity and dampness are prevalent.
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 9:35 am

Hi Mervyn, KopiO, MuarChee and all the good old friends here. It's been a long time. I've been doing my "close gate" training in the mountain for a while. hehehee.

Thanks for the input and feedback. I'm more convince now to change my grip. KopiO, yes, i believe the mizuno comes with the golf pride tour velvet, but for people with sweaty palm like me, I think i need a minimum of half cord which is the Golf pride multi-compound as the mizuno grip feels quite slippery after a few hole.

MuarChee, wow... you buy new club and change away the shaft and grip and only keep the clubhead. Salute !!!! Smile

BTW, anyone uses the Golf Pride multicompound "mid-size" grip? My glove size is 26. Is "mid-size" too big for me?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 am

patrick...

while size 26 is an automatic mid size candidate, you still have to make the ultimate choice yourself. there is no rule to tie size of hand to size of the grip.

however using the right size will ensure that your fingers do not tuck inside your palm at address. also it will ensure less chances of developing trigger fingers.

always think of the grip like a hammer, if the grip of the hammer is too small, you cannot unleash the full power, if its too big...same thing...so its got to be the size that you are most comfortable with.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 am

no wonder the gals in SZ complaining.. my grip too big for their hands..hahhaha
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:10 am

DGman,

Thanks. I have sent you a PM.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:55 am

S70B wrote:

Hows that curry puff or hot dog tasting now during the round? geek

damn! no wonder it's so delicious!
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:56 am

As for me, Grip = Feel.
Hard to explain but funny is that before hitting the ball, if the feel is great...u actually can feel that you sure hit the ball well.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:47 am

nothing wrong with that peter. in fact MM is so particular about feel that he is still using the same type of grip for the last 15 or more years. golf pride do not sell those grips (victory grips) but they made them specially for tour players. there are also tour players who insist on having a rib at 90 degree angle on their wedge. i was told that padraig harrington has a very peculiar wedge grip.

some tour players can even feel a bubble in the grip...talk about feel.

we have installed the GP Victory grips for JL and S70B respectively and they are probably the few outside the tour to get them.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 11:52 am

then how come i no stock?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 12:02 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
then how come i no stock?

i think becoz u r special... Smile
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Eric,

If so many people are having good review on the multicompound which is half cord half rubber, isn't it better to go for full cord?
Back to top Go down
shaugn
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
shaugn

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 12:31 pm

I bought my current MP-52s second hand. Previous owner changed the grips to golf pride, but only the 6-9 & PW. 4-5 not changed. I suppose there is no real way to gauge if the grips are the right size for me, but are there any obvious tells? I suspect they are a little small though. Looks like a trip to BFG is in order...
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
Eric,

If so many people are having good review on the multicompound which is half cord half rubber, isn't it better to go for full cord?
I not Eric.. but kaypoh.. hahahaaa..

My "story" on this:
Initially full cords for people who prefer more "grip"; esp in humid condition. But ppl also complain; harsh, rough, tough on hands...
So grip mfgs decided to make half corded; the lower portion rubber/non-cord. Usually the hand holding the upper portion of the grip (left hand for right handers, and vice versa) will be gloved, and so less affected by the harsh cord; but the lower portion, non-gloved, so more gentle on the hands; less blisters/calluses.......so sort of "best of both worlds"...

Hahaha...albino
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 1:06 pm

A true master has spoken. Swing
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 1:59 pm

Agumon wrote:
no wonder the gals in SZ complaining.. my grip too big for their hands..hahhaha

hmmmmm....im i the only one that is thinking too much?
Back to top Go down
Salty Dog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:

My "story" on this:
Initially full cords for people who prefer more "grip"; esp in humid condition. But ppl also complain; harsh, rough, tough on hands...
So grip mfgs decided to make half corded; the lower portion rubber/non-cord. Usually the hand holding the upper portion of the grip (left hand for right handers, and vice versa) will be gloved, and so less affected by the harsh cord; but the lower portion, non-gloved, so more gentle on the hands; less blisters/calluses.......so sort of "best of both worlds"...

Hahaha...albino

Makes perfect sense. Thank you !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)   How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How important is the Grip (e.g. Golf Pride)
Page 1 of 1