Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Has my driver shaft worn out?

Go down 
+7
slazenger
bkll
Lee36328
audi
hkhamateur
Cyp_PGA
ben tang
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

Has my driver shaft worn out? Empty
PostSubject: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Looking for some advice...

Lately, the path of my driver shots are finishing with a fade to slice flight. Have heard of shafts being worn and would need some advice if this is a sign of it being worn.

Double checked with the woods and hybrid clubs in my bag and they were performing normally - straight to slight draws.

Anyone experienced the same situation before? Is this one of the signs indicating that the driver shaft needs replacement?
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 4:38 pm

How long you have it for ? how many round did you play with it ?
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Ya...gd quest where sometime I do ask myself. Question
Apart fm knwg e no of rds u ve played w it, is there other method to indicate its worn?
Tx u. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Cyp_PGA wrote:

Lost count on the number of rounds to be honest... Shaft has been with me for about 2yrs.

Regular visits to driving range at a frequency of once a week, 200 balls per practice...

Dunno if it is because of my recent practice of hitting balls directly off mats without teeing it up...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 7:45 am

yeah i experience the same thing too. when i first bought it , i've been driving it straight. last couple of months only i felt that its fading and slicing. any advice guys?
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:39 am

ben tang wrote:
Cyp_PGA wrote:

Lost count on the number of rounds to be honest... Shaft has been with me for about 2yrs.

Regular visits to driving range at a frequency of once a week, 200 balls per practice...

Dunno if it is because of my recent practice of hitting balls directly off mats without teeing it up...

Two years on practicing driver, and being precise enough to hit it off the mat, would certainly make your swing stronger, more efficient, and possibly, outgrowing the flex in the shaft. Good job.
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 9:10 am

Thanks Lee36328, appreciate ur generous compliment. Based on ur comment, are u suggesting that it is about time to switch out my shaft?
Back to top Go down
bkll
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bkll

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:52 am

Sorry to burst your bubble. According to Tom Wishon:

Question: With Normal Use - Minus Any Outside Damage - How Long Do Golf Shafts Last?

Answer: Forever. Or rather, a whole lot longer than any of us will ever live!
Seriously, as long as a graphite shaft is not cracked and there is no sign that the layers of the graphite material are starting to delaminate (peel away), the shafts will last for as long as you have the clubs.

In steel shafts, as long as the shafts are not kinked, or badly pitted or rusted, they, too, will last forever and will never wear out.

It is a myth to think that any shaft will "wear out" or suffer from "fatigue" to the point that it no longer performs the same - so long as the shaft is not damaged or bent.

So if you take good care of your clubs and protect the shafts from damage, the lifespan of your golf shafts isn't something to worry about.
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 11:09 am

Hi bkll,

Many thanks for sharing this article. I read that some time ago as well and found it to be rather relevant too.

Nevertheless, the part where it bothers me is that, all other graphite-shafted clubs (woods & hybrids) in and outside my bag are exhibiting the usual flight path... Sigh... 烦....
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:11 pm

ben tang wrote:
Thanks Lee36328, appreciate ur generous compliment. Based on ur comment, are u suggesting that it is about time to switch out my shaft?

Sounds like a good idea to look into it.

As for why the woods and hybrid are still ok, it might be because you are swinging w a more relaxed pace with them.

My driver shaft is one flex stiffer than my wood and hybrid for that reason.

Either way, it's a good 'problem' to have.
Back to top Go down
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Lee. Looks like I've gotta spend time on the trackman to get some stats for analysis again...
Back to top Go down
slazenger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:47 pm

I recently re-shafted my driver - on the advise of my friend (says too whippy - sighed Sad ).

At the shop, I got the impression that it is not uncommon for golfers to change out the stock shaft - some even not using it even once!

why does the serious amateur does that?

Thanks

Just trying to understand this practice!
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ralphlim

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 1:55 pm

slazenger wrote:
I recently re-shafted my driver - on the advise of my friend (says too whippy - sighed Sad ).

At the shop, I got the impression that it is not uncommon for golfers to change out the stock shaft - some even not using it even once!

Thanks

well a lot of reasons why golfers do that:
1) Backside itchy
2) Hands itchy
3) Too loaded with loose $$ sitting around, market so shaky now, cannot really invest, so invest into golf
4) believe that changing the arrow will make the Indian a sharp-shooter (sometimes it does lah)
5) Stock driver shafts esp from no.1 driver maker is shi**y
6) I am sure the rest of the forum folks can make this list to 100....
Back to top Go down
HyBriD
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
HyBriD

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:10 pm

ben tang wrote:
Looking for some advice...

Lately, the path of my driver shots are finishing with a fade to slice flight. Have heard of shafts being worn and would need some advice if this is a sign of it being worn.

Double checked with the woods and hybrid clubs in my bag and they were performing normally - straight to slight draws.

Anyone experienced the same situation before? Is this one of the signs indicating that the driver shaft needs replacement?

Hey

have you tried letting your friend or a Golf Pro hit your driver?

I did that once. I thought there was something wrong with my driver.
So I let 5 guys hit my driver and 4 of them hit it straight.

So its not the shaft but my swing.

When you get a negative remark from them. specially, When you get a negative response from a Golf Pro then you surely have to replace it.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/pnchung
ben tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
ben tang

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Hybrid,

Good tip! Friends have tried my driver but most are complaining that the grip is too thick (I'm on mid-size + 2 rds of tape) or that its too boardy. As for getting a golf pro to hit it... Alas... I hv not been fortunate to be associated with one who will give me a tip or teo as yet Sad

Maybe its abt time I shd just be really thick skinned enough to crash the SSN party and get some of the seasoned guys to give some opinions..

Or better yet, any low handicappers do range at OCC or Sembawang??

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
slazenger
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:27 pm

ralphlim wrote:
slazenger wrote:

Thanks

1) Backside itchy
2) Hands itchy
3) Too loaded with loose $$ sitting around, market so shaky now, cannot really invest, so invest into golf
4) believe that changing the arrow will make the Indian a sharp-shooter (sometimes it does lah)

many thanks for that.
i find your no 5 reason very interesting.

it begs the question - how do you choose a new shaft?
why would someone prefer brand a to brand b - if it is the same weight and flex and kickpoint?

thanks again
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ralphlim

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:55 pm

slazenger wrote:
ralphlim wrote:
slazenger wrote:

Thanks

1) Backside itchy
2) Hands itchy

many thanks for that.

why would someone prefer brand a to brand b - if it is the same weight and flex and kickpoint?

thanks again

I guess that's what makes golf or any sports interesting, the fact that you can try various equipment and see what works for you.

Each man have their own poison, hearing feedback from others also helps but nothing beat a fit and try

ultimately all sports called for a "feel" when you play it, a piece of equipment with the same specs may still feel different to 2 different person...

My TM R9 was a stock shaft, but after trying the Graman, i liked it and made the switch, has been serving me well, now i feel the Kaiji calling... so wait and see...

Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 5:40 pm

so its all about "feel" afterall. somehow it does make sense to me
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 6:07 pm

With e abv few feedback, its cme along w two ans thus far.
1) rds of balls hit
2) by feel

Bt still can't get it fr those who's changed new stock shaft to another wo even havg try yet?
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 6:24 pm

i once held a driver (very famous brand) whose shaft flex is close to whippy... really its like those training tool where the shaft is really whippy, to train your tempo.

I really doubt the shaft was that whippy off the rack. If u hold the shaft straight in front, it will bend from the weight of the head!!!!! on the surface (quick check only), it looks OK.

So i to believe a shaft can be damaged with no visible cracks outside. worn off not so sure...
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:07 am

slazenger wrote:
ralphlim wrote:
slazenger wrote:

Thanks

1) Backside itchy
2) Hands itchy

many thanks for that.

thanks again

In my case, I find it difficult to get the head I want, in the shaft I want, and the weight and flex I want.

Most distributors in Malaysia bring in clubs aimed at the mass market, which mean light, regular flex shaft, or lower end shaft to meet a lower budget.

I am picky about the weight, flex, torque and especially kick point of a shaft because I am 'spoilt' by the shafts that fit my swing just right.

Lightweight, low torque, stiff- or x-flex shafts are expensive to make, so they seldom come off the rack with the club head.

So, I try to buy just the head, or failing that, I swap out the standard shaft immediately without ever hitting a shot with it. I have a whole rack of shafts at home that I swapped out.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 9:32 am

Just wanted to share my experience about this topic.  

2009, bought cobra s2 10.5 with stock stiff shaft.    

March,2010 bacside itchy, wanted to change driver shaft after hearing that aftermarket shafts are a lot better than stock shafts. By then,I have done my research on good club fitters and decided to make an appointment with Big Fish Eric.

During the session, we talked about what I wanted and off we went to hit some balls on the trackman. After looking at my swing and the computer numbers, Eric broke the news to me. He felt that it was not the right time for me to change my driver set up as my swing was not consistent and correct enough to benefit from a shaft change.   I was disappointed but i accepted it.

He gave me a few swing tips which was very good. In fact it was so good that I actually increased my driver distance by more than 30m! However because of my preference to play on the course rather than work on the swing at the driving range, my swing is still erratic. this is still the same case today.  

After the fitting session, i have, on a daily basis, logged on to the forum to read the numerous posts and look at the WTS. Then in 2011, i bought a mint condition cobra S3 9.5 driver with an aftermarket Tour AD DI-6s shaft. Without even trying it at the range, i gamed this beautiful driver immediately on the course.

The very first hit was a tentative one which resulted in an extremely low ball flight. Subsequent hits were of mixed results, but, as most of us experienced, we always give the new equipment the benefit of doubt, what i term as "honeymoon phase",i told myself i have not gotten acquainted with it yet and should not base my judgment on just one game.   This set up was  definitely not easy to handle and after numerous games and driving range sessions,i decided that i was not ready for the 9.5 head. i swapped the tour ad shaft into my trusty S2 10.5 head to try it out. Again gave it quite anumber of games to gauge its performance. Guess what? Shorter distance, direction all over the place and have to use more effort to swing it.  

A friend of mine loaned me his Limited edition S3 10.5 driver with the Tour AD DJ6 SR flex. Again i played around with different combinations, switching the three heads and shafts to find the best combo for me.  

I finally did find the best combo....S2 10.5 with the stock stiff shaft....  I still hit bad shots but the mistakes are not as badly punished as with the other combinations.this setup is still yielding the longest drives for me without having to swing out of my comfort zone.  

From this adventure, I've learned 2 important lessons: 

1. Resist the urge to buy anything until my swing is fundamentally sound.that is when i can buy the advantages of new equipment!  

2. I know EXACTLY my swing flaw. And there are no short cuts. Work on it at the driving range. Instead of going down to the course so often and losing money, go to the driving range and eliminate the flaw. 

I have come a full circle with regards to driver shafts. I bought, tested, switched around different combos but stillwent back to my old faithful (mind you, on a good hit 280 yards no problem)   

So if you guys don't mind, what i would like to say is, work on your swing first before spending money on upgrading the equipment. A good pro to guide you and the perseverance to practice consistently AND correctly is the way to go._________________
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has my driver shaft worn out?   Has my driver shaft worn out? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has my driver shaft worn out?
Page 1 of 1