Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
poundpuppy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? Empty
PostSubject: My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?   My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Just to share something I learnt today.

I visited BFG with the intention of changing one of my grips. It looked hardened and shiny, and it was very smooth to touch - to me a clear sign that it needed replacement.

However, I must once again give credit to Eric for his professionalism and honesty. Forsaking the opportunity to make a few bucks from the grip, he introduced me to the grip spa:

1) Apply an anti-grease dish-washing liquid evenly over the grip
2) With water, use sandpaper or scotch-brite to scrub off oil and dirt
3) Rinse thoroughly
4) Repeat Steps 1,2,3 if necessary
5) Air dry

My grip now feels somewhat newish, and looks like it will last me another few months. Try it!
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?   My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 pm

would this work for the typical iron grips?
Back to top Go down
poundpuppy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?   My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:42 pm

It should work. Mine was a Golf Pride BCT (Cord)... but I am guessing it should work on any rubber grip that is not beyond repair.

If anything goes wrong after doing the above steps, then it is probably time to get your grip replaced anyway! Smile
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?   My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 10:49 pm

as long as it is not harden beyond the point of rejuvenation, this process can be repeated several times before you need to change the grips.

in most cases when rubber grips or cord grips have a "shiny filmy" coat, you can press the grips or use your finger nails to make an indent. if its still bouncy, its probably the chemical or grease that has harden over the grips. the spa treatment should work.

however if the grips have been installed for more than say 2 to 3 years, its probably time to change especially in our weather.

the best way to ensure your grips stays soft and tacky...wet the grips with water and wipe it iff with a clean cloth after every 2 or 3 rounds. once in 3 or 4 months, give it the spa treatment.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?   My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 6:52 pm

I clean my grips after every round.

Now with these Tour Wrap 2Gs, they are even easier. Just wet a towel on one side to give it a once over then use the dry area to wipe dry once.

13 grips done in <5min.
Back to top Go down
poundpuppy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?   My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Zen users with the Grip Master leather putter grips, do you clean your grip?

If so, how? Perhaps DGMan can also shed some light on this too.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?   My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:47 pm

use leather cleaner or just clean water...air dry, do not leave in sun and use leather oil (just a few drops) on clean towel and wipe through...

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?   My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Grip is Worn Out.... Or is it?
Page 1 of 1