Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Water Hazards - Rule 26

Go down 
+7
sunny
scarynight
golfool2009
TDO
mengteck71
mloy
Khorkar
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Water Hazards - Rule 26 Empty
PostSubject: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:48 am

Hi,

I like to ask the bros here about water hazards, marked with Red stakes. Most ponds have contours that defines the ponds, is the boundary of hazards marked by the edges of the pond or the straight line between 2 stakes?

Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:52 am

Khorkar wrote:

Hi,

I like to ask the bros here about water hazards, marked with Red stakes. Most ponds have contours that defines the ponds, is the boundary of hazards marked by the edges of the pond or the straight line between 2 stakes?

I would think its the straight line between the 2 stakes. Same as OB stakes. That's what I was told.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 9:55 am

in the absence of a line drawn along the contours.. use a straight line between two red stakes
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 am

mengteck71 wrote:
in the absence of a line drawn along the contours.. use a straight line between two red stakes

That's what I thought too, until I enter into a dispute with one of my kakis. Anyway, to spoil a game over 1 stroke and friendship is not worth the argument. So I carried on with the 1 stroke penalty. Guess what, I won that hole despite the penalty. Made bogey and he double bogey. Smile
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:31 am

It should be a straight line between the stakes.....

A ball is considered in the hazard when it lies within the hazard or when any part of it touches the hazard (remember, stakes and lines are themselves part of the hazard).

But for OB, the entire ball must be beyond the OB line....
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:40 am

golfool2009 wrote:

A ball is considered in the hazard when it lies within the hazard or when any part of it touches the hazard (remember, stakes and lines are themselves part of the hazard).

Thanks for clarification bro. Smile
Back to top Go down
scarynight
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 12:17 pm

TDO wrote:
mengteck71 wrote:

That's what I thought too, until I enter into a dispute with one of my kakis. Anyway, to spoil a game over 1 stroke and friendship is not worth the argument. So I carried on with the 1 stroke penalty. Guess what, I won that hole despite the penalty. Made bogey and he double bogey. Smile

Sorry ah... but why did you have to take a 1 stroke penalty?
I thought if you think its playable you can still play and don't need to take penalty?

Anyone can clarify?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 12:40 pm

"Sorry ah... but why did you have to take a 1 stroke penalty?
I thought if you think its playable you can still play and don't need to take penalty?"

Cannot stand properly. Half the leg in water. Can we take free lift if it's not in hazard?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

scarynight wrote:
TDO wrote:
mengteck71 wrote:

Sorry ah... but why did you have to take a 1 stroke penalty?
I thought if you think its playable you can still play and don't need to take penalty?

Anyone can clarify?

Thanks.

If there is so much dispute, it is probably cos the ball can be played easily. Normal hazard rules apply. No grounding club, practice swing cannot touch any part of the hazard(eg grass etc). No penalty to play from hazard unless you choose to drop ball
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 1:51 pm

TDO wrote:
"Sorry ah... but why did you have to take a 1 stroke penalty?
I thought if you think its playable you can still play and don't need to take penalty?"

Cannot stand properly. Half the leg in water. Can we take free lift if it's not in hazard?

From what I know, if a hazard interferes with your stance, there is no relief whether or not the ball is in the hazard or not.

Unless the water in question is casual water, however, from your earlier posts you mentioned red stakes, so I am guessing not.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 4:29 pm

You can declare the ball unplayable but then no free lift.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 4:33 pm

sunny wrote:
You can declare the ball unplayable but then no free lift.
Yep. did that, done it and still won the hole.
Back to top Go down
sly21498
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Guys just for your info:

When the margin of a lateral water hazard is defined by stakes, the stakes are inside the lateral water hazard, and the margin of the hazard is defined by the nearest outside points of the stakes at ground level.

Stakes used to define the margin of or identify a water hazard are obstructions and may be removed. Note that whilst the Rules permit easily movable stakes to be moved, some course committees introduce a Local Rule defining them as immovable Obstructions.

Cheers!!
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 6:59 pm

golfool2009 wrote:

I thought that as long touches OB line considered OB.
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 7:08 pm

http://golf.about.com/cs/rulesofgolf/g/rules_outofboun.htm

When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds. The out of bounds line extends vertically upward and downward. A ball is out of bounds when all of it lies out of bounds.

After reading above, I.still confused.

Sorry OB.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:54 pm

On a similar line of subject and assuming that the ball is infact NOT in lateral hazards, the person in question practices the his strokes and therefore is allow to ground his clubs.

But what if during his practice strokes, he accidentally use his clubs and touches the area where its deemed as lateral hazards. Is then, the person is subjected to penalties?
Back to top Go down
sly21498
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 12:51 am

This is my view:

As long as your ball is not in a hazard. And you are deemed not to Improve your Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play or in order to test the condition of the hazard or any similar hazard . You will not be penalised.

I will definitely not make any practice swing near to any hazard, unless I have the intention to do the above. Same thing as to avoid any incidental stroke especially on the putting green.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi, anyone else agree or disagree with the Sly's comments?

Just wanted to know if there is any other opinions on this.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 8:10 pm

If your ball is not in the hazard, then you can take your practice swing wherever you like...

The rules care about where your ball is.... Beer
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water Hazards - Rule 26   Water Hazards - Rule 26 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water Hazards - Rule 26
Page 1 of 1