Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does it contravene any rule

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

Does it contravene any rule Empty
PostSubject: Does it contravene any rule   Does it contravene any rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 1:24 am

Can a Laser Rangefinder be used during a golf tournament?
Does it contravene the rule of "undue advantage"?
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Does it contravene any rule   Does it contravene any rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 7:07 am

The rules of golf in the US allow for distance measuring devices, but not for ones that measure wind, elevation, slope, etc.

From the USGA:

14-3/0.5 Local Rule Permitting Use of Distance-Measuring Device
Q. May a Committee, by Local Rule, permit the use of distance-measuring devices?
A. Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure or gauge distance only (see the Note to Rule 14-3). However, the use of a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player's play (e.g., gradient, wind speed, temperature, etc.) is not permitted regardless of whether such an additional function...

From my understanding the R&A is on board with this ruling as well.

This rule gives committees the discretion of whether to add in a local rule in which they could be allowed for use. I really think it depends on whether the particular committee wants to allow them. Some do and some don't. So it appears that it really depends on the event and you might want to check prior to the event or teeing off as to not get DQ'ed for a rules breach.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Does it contravene any rule   Does it contravene any rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 8:20 am

Meaning you have go check with your local club's committee whether they have decided collectively if they allow it during comps at your club.

I know Keppel quite slack cos since its been intro-ed a few years liao, I kept asking everyone that works there and committee members but no one can give me an answer.
Back to top Go down
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

PostSubject: Re: Does it contravene any rule   Does it contravene any rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 10:17 am

Gentlemen.. Thanks for the pointers.
Based on the rule pointed out by DRG, i think it will be alright for a simple Laser Rangefinder with only the function of measuring distance. More sophisticated (military ones) have options of windspeed etc., but i have not seen one yet.

So I think my final conclusion is "yes" based on the Rule 14-3. I think most Laser Rangefinders found on the course only have the basic function of measuring distance and not gradient and wind speed.

Happy golfing!
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Does it contravene any rule   Does it contravene any rule I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 9:27 pm

JGoh wrote:
Gentlemen.. Thanks for the pointers.
Based on the rule pointed out by DRG, i think it will be alright for a simple Laser Rangefinder with only the function of measuring distance. More sophisticated (military ones) have options of windspeed etc., but i have not seen one yet.

So I think my final conclusion is "yes" based on the Rule 14-3. I think most Laser Rangefinders found on the course only have the basic function of measuring distance and not gradient and wind speed.

Happy golfing!

Bro JGoh... for your info, a lot of bros here have the Bushnell Pro Tour V2 Pinseeker WITH Slope Edition ( that is your so call gradient ). You can buy it at BFG just for your info. It cuts down your guessing game when you are at the Par 3 Tee looking down at the pin.
Back to top Go down
sly21498
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does it contravene any rule   Does it contravene any rule I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 2:08 am

Hi bro S70B, I know clear cut that Keppel or any other courses in SG would not allow any distance measuring device. As stated in 14.3 - Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an unusual manner:

a. That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or
b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or
c. That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:

Penalty for Breach of Rule 14-3: Disqualification

& if the committee and local rules doesnt state so or in golf term 'silent'. You definitely cant use it. Hope that clears the air.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does it contravene any rule   Does it contravene any rule I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does it contravene any rule
Page 1 of 1