Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker

Go down 
+15
asahi
Derek
mloy
klt8144
JGoh
duffader
poresia
freedrop
shorthitter
Begbie
kian
golfool2009
4dtoto
mengteck71
Slicer51
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker Empty
PostSubject: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi pro,

I would like seek help to understand how the golf rule apply to my situation as below;

1) 1st of all, no local rules mention whether the distance marker is moveable or immovable object in this course I played.

- What happened was, on my last Sunday round. I drove my tee shot slightly off the right side fairway near a distance maker.

- when I arrived at the ball and realized that the distance marker is obstructing my stance to hit toward the green, unless i use left hand to swing ( I am a right hand player )

- Usually I removed the distance marker and play on ( as long as the marker can be remove and it become an moveable obstruction.

- However, this time this marker is immovable.

Can i have a free relief and drop my ball a club length not near to the pin ?

I read the rule 24-1 and -2 on movable and immovable obstruction but am just to silly to understand them.

Please help. Thanks
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:27 pm

What about Lamp Post and Electrical Box?
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:31 pm

I tot lamp post and electrical Box is for target aiming to bounce the ball onto the green, like chipmunk..hehehe..sorry Ot abit...

Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Good questions cause i also want to know....my interpretation of the rules has always been that you can take relief if the distance markers/lamp posts/generators interferes with your swing and/or stance....however, you can't get relief if it's in your intended flight path (esp. for lamp posts and electrical boxes)....

for OB stakes, I don't think you can move it nor obtain relief....and don't ask me why this is different...i just remember reading it somewhere....

Last edited by golfool2009 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:33 pm

what if lamppost and electrical box interfere ur stance or swing?
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:39 pm

If anyone is familiar for kranji hole 12 short par 4, can I get relief if my ball lands directly under the wooden stick barrers behind the green? My ball landed just before the hazard red line but under the wooden railing.
Can I get a free relief? But I also dono where to drop...
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:45 pm

I recalled one Asian tourney, where tongchai jaidee repeatedly kept hitting the lampost again and again at the end of the hole, he came out with a bogey.

Apparently, the local rule allow for you to put back the ball at the original position if it hits lampost, power box etc..

So thats what TJ did, he kept hitting till he got his ball out...
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Begbie wrote:
I recalled one Asian tourney, where tongchai jaidee repeatedly kept hitting the lampost again and again at the end of the hole, he came out with a bogey.

Apparently, the local rule allow for you to put back the ball at the original position if it hits lampost, power box etc..

So thats what TJ did, he kept hitting till he got his ball out...

I remember that too but TJ was allowed to do that because of a local rule....
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Yes, if the post cannot be moved, then you get free relief.

Same with the Power poles and electrical boxes.

Remember you get your "nearest point of relief" first, then you take your 1 clublength.
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 1:49 pm

golfool2009 wrote:
Good questions cause i also want to know....my interpretation of the rules has always been that you can take relief if the distance markers/lamp posts/generators interferes with your swing and/or stance....however, you can't get relief if it's in your intended flight path (esp. for lamp posts and electrical boxes)....

for OB stakes, I don't think you can move it nor obtain relief....and don't ask me why this is different...i just remember reading it somewhere....

You are right here about distance markers/lamp posts/electric boxes/sprinkler heads. These are either movable or immovable man-made obstuctions and you are entitled to reliefs. Local rules usually do not explicitly cover these because they are covered in rule books.

Concrete drains are covered by local rules, so in some courses, you get reliefs, while in others, you don't. If there are red stakes around the drains, obviously they are hazards, and usual penalty apply.

You are also right about OB stakes, which are part of the course.

Back to top Go down
poresia
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
poresia

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 2:00 pm

i remember a lady golfer at 2011 Evian Masters have to re-tee her tee shot bcos the ball hit the electrical cable hanging in front and above the tee box in one of the par 3.
think that is quite similar to Thongchai case but not sure if that is local rule or not.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 pm

poresia wrote:
i remember a lady golfer at 2011 Evian Masters have to re-tee her tee shot bcos the ball hit the electrical cable hanging in front and above the tee box in one of the par 3.
think that is quite similar to Thongchai case but not sure if that is local rule or not.

Decision 33-8/13 says No, you cannot re-tee if your ball hit an overhead power cable.

But Decision 33-8/13 also provides Local Rules Committee a way out, that local rules can require a player to replay the stroke with no penalty. This local rule is present in all the overhead cable cases I have come across so far. Quite common in USA, and I have seen once in Malaysia.

So looks like Evian Mastsers case is a locla rule.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Okay, that mean that immovable distant marker, lamp post, electric box. We are allow to have free relief as they are man made.

If tree or brushes (through the green) .. Is natural immovable, no free relief without penalty. Of course OB stick is immovable as per the rule.

Am I correct Sirs ?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Okay, that mean that immovable distant marker, lamp post, electric box. We are allow to have free relief as they are man made.

If tree or brushes (through the green) .. Is natural immovable, no free relief without penalty. Of course OB stick is immovable as per the rule.

Am I correct Sirs ?

But remember, Hazard sticks (red or yellow) are not consider removable.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 2:56 pm

duffader wrote:
Slicer51 wrote:

Am I correct Sirs ?

But remember, Hazard sticks (red or yellow) are not consider removable.

Not true.

Hazard stakes CAN be either movable or immovable. Somtimes this is stated in Local Rules, sometimes it's not. Most hazard stakes are easily removed. In some (very few) courses, hazard stakes are planted firmly, and are not movable.

Where hazard stakes are movable, you can move the stakes before you play the shot, EVEN THOUGH your ball is inside the hazard. Most people do not know this. You can't ground the club of course.

Where hazard stakes are immovable, you are entitled to relief, but ONLY IF your ball is outside the harzard. This is because ball in hazard must be played as it lies, or declared unplayable.

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 4:02 pm

I thought when its in the hazard, you play at it lies?
Back to top Go down
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 4:30 pm

Slicer51 wrote:
Okay.....

If tree or brushes (through the green) .. Is natural immovable, no free relief without penalty...

Am I correct Sirs ?

Many golf courses mark young trees / bushes and flower beds with coloured stakes and allow relief without penalty as well.. Some courses provide relief by stating as local rules on the scorecards, without marking the young tress/bushes/ flower beds, so be wise to read the back of the score cards.. Provision of relieve from "open drains", and not "covered drains", usually also stated at the back of scorecards.. 3c
Back to top Go down
klt8144
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
klt8144

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 pm

yo...yesterday at Kranji H2... my buddy tried to retrieve the ball from the bunker, he hits too hard and the ball get embedded deep inside the wall o f the bunker, apparently cannot see the ball unless dig out some of the grass and soil.. so how ? dig out the ball and let it drop into the bunker agai? any penalty? my other friend say ok leh..

at the same time due to the heavy rain,.. the bunker have many deep earthworms path created by the rain water,..the ball landed in the path... is there free lift?

what are the rules for these? pls enlighten...
Back to top Go down
kian
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
kian

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 pm

klt8144 wrote:
yo...yesterday at Kranji H2... my buddy tried to retrieve the ball from the bunker, he hits too hard and the ball get embedded deep inside the wall o f the bunker, apparently cannot see the ball unless dig out some of the grass and soil.. so how ? dig out the ball and let it drop into the bunker agai? any penalty? my other friend say ok leh..

at the same time due to the heavy rain,.. the bunker have many deep earthworms path created by the rain water,..the ball landed in the path... is there free lift?

how can u ascertain those r "paths" created by earthworms??? tongue

i tink if embedded ball can take out but must drop inside the bunker w/o penalty. pls correct me if wrong. but if im playing vegas, i will him he needs to declare lost ball! santa

Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:11 pm

My ball enbedded in the side of the bunker before, i was not allow to remove and drop but to smash it out.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:13 pm

klt8144 wrote:

For the first scenario, you can dig out the ball only for the purposes of identifying it...then you must replace it ...seeing as how he can't hit it after replacing it, he can drop it with a one stroke penalty....in the bunker...

for the second, there shouldn't be a free lift unless marked as GUR....

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 pm

kian wrote:
klt8144 wrote:

how can u ascertain those r "paths" created by earthworms??? tongue

i tink if embedded ball can take out but must drop inside the bunker w/o penalty. pls correct me if wrong. but if im playing vegas, i will him he needs to declare lost ball! santa

Bunkers, embedded, plays at it lies. You can take a drop with one stroke penalty and the ball still has to be in the bunker. (One club length)
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 pm

What about ball landed on the STEEP slope of the bunker? Happened to me once. Couldn't even stand properly (as the sand was really soft).
Back to top Go down
JGoh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JGoh

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 5:57 pm

mloy wrote:
What about ball landed on the STEEP slope of the bunker? Happened to me once. Couldn't even stand properly (as the sand was really soft).

Same - you can declare the ball unplayable by taking a drop, with penalty of one stroke, one club length, not nearer the green. If ball in bunker, must drop in bunker. If ball not in bunker then drop within one club length not nearer the green. If not in bunker, ball dropped into bunker, can redrop, and place if roll into bunker second time. 3c
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Check out this video for relief from the cartpath. It's very interesting as sometimes, it's just too bad, your only relief puts you in a worse situation.

www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2010-09/video-rule-cartpath-drop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker   Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re: immovable obstruction : distant marker
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next