Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The dreaded SHANK

Go down 
+18
Artloh
harimau
enwee
LousyGolfer
mUAr_cHEe
TigaWood
Schulo
zixter
r510tp
kopiO
duffader
navik
asahi
Duval_S
b.b.carabanesis
mloy
pushslice
alangolf
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi All,

I'm not a good golfer. Due to family commitments I can't enjoy the greens as much as I wish. So ended up on range quite abit about once to twice a week. On certain days in the range I just keep shanking and looks like a real begineer. However I'm to say on other days, I can be hitting the ball nicely. Once this shanking hit me, I just got no way of getting out of it and the whole range session is 'gone'. Really drives me crazy and demoralising. This shanking however seldom strikes on the course.

I wanted to know if anyone has the same experience and cure which I'm having.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 3:52 pm

I have the same experience, I just had one shank-full range session on wednesday. I remembered each day it occur vividly, twice on the range last year and once on the course. Lost 3 balls in one par 3 hole, all shanked into water. Lost 5 balls in that game at Laguna May last year

I have no idea why I shanked and why it went away the next time. When I went to the pro for lessons, it never showed up Suspect
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:01 pm

pushslice wrote:
I have the same experience, I just had one shank-full range session on wednesday. I remembered each day it occur vividly, twice on the range last year and once on the course. Lost 3 balls in one par 3 hole, all shanked into water. Lost 5 balls in that game at Laguna May last year

I have no idea why I shanked and why it went away the next time. When I went to the pro for lessons, it never showed up Suspect

pushslice, is like sending your car to the mechanic. At the workshop the noise disappear. Razz
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:04 pm

you remember I had one on Poresia? after a beautiful drive then shanked the ball to oblivion with my hybrid....
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
b.b.carabanesis

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Walk Away.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:23 pm

I have been there and done tat....and I am a living example of what I was as beginner..that we have such shots............... and we will be strong and perservere....and here I am today...a Seasoned beginner
Back to top Go down
b.b.carabanesis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
b.b.carabanesis

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Duval_S wrote:
..and here I am today...a Seasoned beginner

At the rate that you have been emphasizing, you are either a well-marinated piece of meat or some really dried-up salted fish.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Quote :
b.b.carabanesis wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

At the rate that you have been emphasizing, you are either a well-marinated piece of meat or some really dried-up salted fish.

thanks for caring enough to read. appreciate your advice on seasoning.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm

ROFL first bb, then mystery now friendly....WELCOME!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Quote :
friendlygolfer wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
b.b.carabanesis wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

thanks for caring enough to read. appreciate your advice on seasoning.

bro,

u very good!

thank him for caring about u.

hey! i also care about you OK, if you need anything you can just PM me ok??

we are all friends in this little planet

definitely.....I take all advices ...the good the bad the ugly.....

if I do have the honor to play a game with you, that will be nice....and pls let me buy you a beer.....

thanks....your frenly SB .....DS
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:16 pm

alangolf wrote:
Hi All,

I'm not a good golfer. Due to family commitments I can't enjoy the greens as much as I wish. So ended up on range quite abit about once to twice a week. On certain days in the range I just keep shanking and looks like a real begineer. However I'm to say on other days, I can be hitting the ball nicely. Once this shanking hit me, I just got no way of getting out of it and the whole range session is 'gone'. Really drives me crazy and demoralising. This shanking however seldom strikes on the course.

Bro,

Just walk away and relax for a while when this happens.
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 pm

alangolf wrote:
Hi All,

Bro I had the same problem, shank the entire range session, wasted over 100 balls trying to find out what's wrong. Then suddenly in the next session everything went back to normal, but after a break and a can of coke the shanks came back to haunt me.

Thankfully after 2 weeks away from the range due to injury, my last range session was somewhat decent, but now I'm traumatized, keep wondering if the shanks will come back the next time I swing my club No

Back to top Go down
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:23 am

navik wrote:

Thankfully after 2 weeks away from the range due to injury, my last range session was somewhat decent, but now I'm traumatized, keep wondering if the shanks will come back the next time I swing my club No

yeah. the feeling is like going for blind dates - dunno what will turn out flower

I suspect I'm coming 'outside-in'. When setting up already dun feel right. But just can't seems to correct it. Like a mental block.

Last edited by alangolf on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alangolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:35 am

asahi wrote:

Bro,

Just walk away and relax for a while when this happens.

yup, will try to lengthed the 'pause'. Usually 'See lousy shots-want to correct it-try harder- becomes worst-try even harder- even worst' vicious cycle. Will try to see XMM next time What a Face

This shank thing just strike me 'on-and-off' for some reasons unknown to me. It's frustrating when it happens cos you know you can play better than this.
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 6:31 am

U just have to understand what causes the shank. Someone ever told me that a shank is almost a good shot. Easier to correct when u know what causes the mistake.
Back to top Go down
kopiO
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kopiO

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 12:47 pm

duffader wrote:
U just have to understand what causes the shank. Someone ever told me that a shank is almost a good shot. Easier to correct when u know what causes the mistake.

Wow, can share more on ur insight, bro?
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:33 pm

alangolf wrote:

Hi All,

On certain days in the range I just keep shanking and looks like a real begineer. However I'm to say on other days, I can be hitting the ball nicely. Once this shanking hit me, I just got no way of getting out of it and the whole range session is 'gone'.

pushslice wrote:
I have the same experience, I just had one shank-full range session on wednesday.

navik wrote:
Hi All,

Bro I had the same problem, shank the entire range session, wasted over 100 balls trying to find out what's wrong. Then suddenly in the next session everything went back to normal, but after a break and a can of coke the shanks came back to haunt me.

If you look on the bright side, the good news is that all of you are very consistent! Surprised Laughing Smile

So that actually means, there is some part of your swing that you are repeating very consistently without knowing. And that one part is causing the shank.

For me, when I shank, there are usually 2 reasons:
(1) too flat a swing plane coming down, therefore hosel hits ball
(2) I address the ball with too much weight on my heels and weight transfers to toes during downswing

If you can get someone to video your swing from your right side, it'll be easy to see which of the above problem crept in.... Smile
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:41 am

Didn't read all the posts here but what I think is helpful is to relax and rest a while ... warm up your body patiently and relax your arms before going back for a swing...make sure your lower body is cemented to the ground and start with the P all the way back to the 5 =)
Back to top Go down
Schulo
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Schulo

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 am

Good old shank Tuesday for me yesterday at the range...
I was really ashamed of myself! Could not hit 1 ball properly!
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:51 am

Google, 'Humping the goat" this will cure your shank.
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 am

seebayho wrote:
Like a koala?
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:27 am

I had those shanking days are well (which are quite common for me) when all the balls you hit shanks. Having so much experience in shanking, I came up with a solution that somehow seems to work for me.

The logic:
I aim to hit the ball sweet, I shank.

So I inverse the logic.
I aim to shank the ball, then I hit sweet.

So now a days, I just aim to shank the ball and usually, the shank will not appear.

(I am still trying to find quick fix solutions for fat, sliced, duffed, topped, air shots)
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 am

alangolf wrote:
Hi All,

Range is easier...just walk away for a while then come go back to your dressing of the ball, then start with slow swing usually it'll cure the problem. For course, it harder, need to forget the bad shots focus on the next shots.
Back to top Go down
harimau
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
harimau

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:10 pm

seebayho wrote:

About 949,000 results (0.26 seconds).

Very informative indeed... especially the ones from Brian Manzella's website.

Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:04 pm

IMHO, it's usually caused when you try too hard. A inside out swing will also contribute especially if you're too upright and tend to throw your arms right of the target. Understand that it's caused by the ball hitting the hosel rather than the club face.

A simple drill would be to have a towel tucked under yr armpit when you swing. It'll force you to do a full shoulder / body rotation rather than hitting with yr arms. Hopes this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The dreaded SHANK Empty
PostSubject: Re: The dreaded SHANK   The dreaded SHANK I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The dreaded SHANK
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next