Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?

Go down 
+11
jeffman88
mengteck71
Turbo
bogeyman72
skybobo
NovicePlayer
Kengnam
Lee36328
TITW
Starbucks
cts1984
15 posters
AuthorMessage
cts1984
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cts1984

How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? Empty
PostSubject: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:51 am

Hi all,

Just got my pc recently but not going b to my coach anytime soon (handicap course) as i feel it will be too rush and i dont play ok yet. Been having this issue (duff shots) and read around/watch vids but not helping. Ball usually fly < 50 m. Any advise? all welcome.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Starbucks
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 am

Go for more range practice on ur swing. That's the baseline.
Back to top Go down
cts1984
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cts1984

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:13 am

Starbucks wrote:
Go for more range practice on ur swing. That's the baseline.

Been ranging twice a week but i think mats are misleading. Will attempt the range on greens though.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 am

Go for lessons.. get the fundamentals right first. See other links in this forum for recommended coaches. You will get more enjoyment in the game later on. No point spending years trying to figure out what/why things go wrong.

Remember: What are u practising? The right moves or just making a bad move more permanent?

Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 7:48 am

cts1984 wrote:
Hi all,

Just got my pc recently but not going b to my coach anytime soon (handicap course) as i feel it will be too rush and i dont play ok yet. Been having this issue (duff shots) and read around/watch vids but not helping. Ball usually fly < 50 m. Any advise? all welcome.

Cheers

Waiting until you 'play ok' before going back to see your coach, while asking in a forum for a solution to your duff shots... somewhat putting the cart before the horse isn't it?

If I had a massively high fever, I wouldn't wait until the fever subsides before seeing the doctor while asking around for panadol. It could be dengue for all I know.

But anyhow, here's a panadol for you.

If your eyes are on the ball as you swing and you hit the ground before the ball, trying looking and aiming to hit 1/2 inch to 1 inch after the ball (the left side of the ball for right handers). Focus on hitting the ground, in front of the ball, not on the ball or behind the ball.

That's a temp fix. Go see your coach for a permanent fix, because your low point is too far back and that could be a pivot issue, weight shift, hanging back, casting, even grip, all sorts of possible reasons.

I have to agree with TITW. When your swing has basic issues, and you practice, you are making it harder to correct later. Literally 10 times harder.

Good luck with the game.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Kengnam
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kengnam

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 8:35 am

The EZ way for me to avoid duff shot is:
Always weight on my left before ball hit and follow thur...
Back to top Go down
NovicePlayer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
NovicePlayer

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 9:56 am

Kengnam wrote:
The EZ way for me to avoid duff shot is:
Always weight on my left before ball hit and follow thur...

I agree, you would need to check if you are putting your weight on your left leg at point of ball contact. You could probably duff the ball if your weight is on the right leg.

my advise, get a Pro to help you if your swing fundamental need fixing early...
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 am

cts1984 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers

Bro, without seeing your swing, nobody can advise you.
Even after seeing your swing, IMHO only the pros is qualified to advise you.
So my best advise to you is to see a good pro.
If after getting your PC and your ball still fly < 50m, if I am the pro, I will fail you.
Sorry for being blunt here.......

But we do not want you to go thru it the hard way.....
Golf is really too hard a game to figure out yourself unless u are Watson Bubba Smile

Having said that, sometimes its not so easy to find a good pro. However those listed in this forum are creditable options. All the best.
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:55 am

Go back to the same coach who got you the PC & get him to tweek your swing.... if he still cannot help, ask for your $$ back and change coach.....

Good luck!

cts1984 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:11 pm

bogeyman72 wrote:
Go back to the same coach who got you the PC & get him to tweek your swing.... if he still cannot help, ask for your $$ back and change coach.....

Bro, I think it is not right to ask him for the money back unless there is a clause in the contract that indicates "Money Backed Guarantee". For an example, if the medicine prescribed by a Doc cannot cure your illness, you still cannot ask him to return you the money. The most you can do is you return to see him and ask for more effective medicine, am I correct?
Back to top Go down
bogeyman72
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
bogeyman72

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:20 pm

You are absolutely right.... I was just joking... Laughing

Turbo wrote:
bogeyman72 wrote:

Bro, I think it is not right to ask him for the money back unless there is a clause in the contract that indicates "Money Backed Guarantee". For an example, if the medicine prescribed by a Doc cannot cure your illness, you still cannot ask him to return you the money. The most you can do is you return to see him and ask for more effective medicine, am I correct?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:26 pm

cts1984 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers

Bro, like most of the above GRians said, I believe you failed to do a proper weight shift on impact. Thats why you not only duff the shot but also lack distance in your swing. Just before the downswing, you need to do a weight shift to your front foot, following by hitting down and thru'. I heard from many swing coaches, this is a common problem for beginners and even for not so beginners. As a social golfer, if we dun play or practice often, we tend to forget the vital fundamentals of a golf swing. We therefore need to refresh our memory from time to time ...

Happy golfin' cheers
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:49 pm

bogeyman72 wrote:

Good luck!

This remind me of a joke last time. I ask my coach to teach me how to hit out from bunker as i feel that my bunker shots are very weak. Coach replied: "i never teach u how to hit into bunker.. Y u want to learnhow to hit out from there?" Sad

Moral of story is dun be to eager, dont jump the gun, always go back to ur coach to learn new skills (unless u felt that he not suitable)

Many range sessions may not help. U will need a trained eye to see what went wong.. Practicing without knowing wat is right will not help as we only think we are doing right.. Yes.. U may still improve and make ur faulty swing consistent.. But u will not breakthrough

Golf is a journey.. It is not like "I think i have played enough or range enough and ready for Coutrtesy round.. Or go for examination to determine u pass or fail..

Once again.. "Golf is a journey..." unquote
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 1:59 pm

Practice makes perfect...

Incorrect Practice makes Imperfection....
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 2:53 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
Practice makes perfect...

Incorrect Practice makes Imperfection....

Put in another way,

Practice makes permanent.

Practicing (good/faulty) techniques makes (good/faulty) techniques permanent
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 3:01 pm

cts1984 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers

Confidence is the key. (do not think too much!)
All things being equal. (technique, swing, hazard, surrounding awareness, choosing the right club etc)

Practice enough until you are sure you can get the accuracy and distance.
I have seen a single handicapper duff a short too. If the duffing is a constant issue, coach is a must see.
It means technique and position is incorrect.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 6:15 pm

There are more than one way to duff a shot, all of us are just guessing why you duff. Let a pro look at it will be a better option
Back to top Go down
cts1984
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cts1984

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm

All right. Looks like I have to go b to my coach get my fix. Funny thing is he asked us to wait a few months before taking up handicap course with him. Anyway thanks all. Will try some of the tips for the time being.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Stance wide enough and proportionate to yr shoulder and dont sway!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 pm

cts1984 wrote:
All right. Looks like I have to go b to my coach get my fix. Funny thing is he asked us to wait a few months before taking up handicap course with him. Anyway thanks all. Will try some of the tips for the time being.

U may want to post a video of your swing here, hopefully some expert(s) or PROs can identify your mistakes. Right now, we are only guessing ... Cool
Back to top Go down
nojackdontdoit
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
nojackdontdoit

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 10:23 am

hey buddy ,

we cant really see your swing so im basing my suggestions on the usual suspects.

if you consistently duff it might be your head shifting.

try to not drop your head on the downswing .

the next would be you initiating your downswing with your arms and resist hip turn.

that would also chunk your shots a fair bit.

my advice would be loosen up and try half to 3/4 shots until you can figure out if its your head or your arms doing the mischief.

hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?   How to avoid the dreaded duff shot? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to avoid the dreaded duff shot?
Page 1 of 1