Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another golfer struck by lightning

Go down 
+7
Khorkar
DGman
Duval_S
Ssquirrel
Suzuki
dodo
sunny
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Another golfer struck by lightning Empty
PostSubject: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 9:19 pm

Hope it is not someone we know. Do be careful out there. Weather is about as predictable as ..... nowadays.

SINGAPORE : A man in his early 60s was struck by lightning at about 3.40pm on Saturday, while playing golf at Laguna National Golf and Country Club.

Police said he was with friends who called an ambulance.

None of the others were injured.

The victim is being treated at Changi General Hospital.

- CNA/ms
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
dodo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dodo

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:39 am

Hmmm, first TMCC, now Laguna, that place seems .. how to say, err , very prone leh! All I know is now TMCC's lightning stoppages are far more common, broad daylight sunny skies not little clouds also stop for lightning.
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:03 am

But is he ok?
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:25 am

There was no lightning warning, either from TMCC (which is within audible range) or Laguna at that time la..

The guy was on the 18th tee box when the lightning struck his driver, which he was holding up and then zap down through his head. He lost consciousness but was still breathing. The ambulance came pretty quickly and I think he regained conciousness but was still sent to hospital for check up. Last I heard he's ok, but with burns.

Ya, be safe.. it was kinda freak accident. Skies were cloudy but not that dark, and it was only starting to drizzle a little. I saw a pic of his hat (Greg-Norman straw hat style) that one of the flight mates took. The hat flew off and had a big burn hole; heard the graphite shaft also totally disintegrated until the grip portion.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 am

errr.....does golf insurance or personal insurance cover this?

just checking ....to ensure proper coverage...cant take any risk....except for finishing my swing lower....(below shoulder height)
Back to top Go down
Suzuki
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 1:45 pm

OMG strike by lightning still alive. Was this yesterday news?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Greg Norman Straw hat in his 60S at Laguna can only be one person...

i was at 18th tee box today..nothing unusual leh.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 7:37 pm

The man must be the luckiest person alive. I think he will probably have phobia with wet weather. Glad to hear to that there is no one injured.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:26 am

yup...from the announcement of his name in the paper, he is the one. they are a bunch of die-hards who play and bet every saturday afternoon.

glad he is ok and none the worse.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm

Khorkar wrote:
The man must be the luckiest person alive. I think he will probably have phobia with wet weather. Glad to hear to that there is no one injured.

Nah, I doubt he will have phobia if he IS a true golfer and the way DGman described him, I am sure he will be out there as soon as he can walk. Won't be surprise he can outdrove every one else in his flight now that he is 'FULLY" charged !!!! Don't be surprise if he threw lightning bolts at his mates if he so desire... affraid lol!

titu
Back to top Go down
Lizardman
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Read this joke a couple of weeks ago:

Q: What should you do if your round of golf is interrupted by a lightning storm?
A: Walk around holding your 1-iron above your head, because even God can't hit a 1-iron!

Hope the victim makes a full recovery soon.
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:23 pm

Duval_S wrote:
errr.....does golf insurance or personal insurance cover this?

just checking ....to ensure proper coverage...cant take any risk....except for finishing my swing lower....(below shoulder height)

Most golf insurance shd cover lightning strikes or injuries sustained on course. Personal insurance will cover as well.

Conventional personal life insurance covers if the strike causes death of disability, but to zoom in on the more specific ones, its usually Personal Accident coverage (PA for short) that takes care of such unforseen risks. Even if there's no accidental death, a well designed PA will also cover the medical costs that attribute from injuries that arise from these risks.

So fellow GRians, if you hit the course often and sometimes cont play even in bad weather, do make sure you load up in these areas of coverage. Its a just-in-case measure, just like when you tee a provisional ball. Lol..

Not marketing my services here, but in case you peeps have questions or need advice in these areas, do feel to let me know. Will try my best to help out! =)
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
There was no lightning warning, either from TMCC (which is within audible range) or Laguna at that time la..

The guy was on the 18th tee box when the lightning struck his driver, which he was holding up and then zap down through his head. He lost consciousness but was still breathing. The ambulance came pretty quickly and I think he regained conciousness but was still sent to hospital for check up. Last I heard he's ok, but with burns.

Ya, be safe.. it was kinda freak accident. Skies were cloudy but not that dark, and it was only starting to drizzle a little. I saw a pic of his hat (Greg-Norman straw hat style) that one of the flight mates took. The hat flew off and had a big burn hole; heard the graphite shaft also totally disintegrated until the grip portion.
Yea. I hope he have a fast recovery.
These days all the rains are in the afternoon 2pm onwards.

I urged all golfers to try to play them in the morning for this month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another golfer struck by lightning   Another golfer struck by lightning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another golfer struck by lightning
Page 1 of 1