Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to stop the chicken wing?

Go down 
+7
Right_sided_coach
asahi
S70B
Duval_S
pushslice
JonL_TK
scholes25
11 posters
AuthorMessage
scholes25
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

How to stop the chicken wing? Empty
PostSubject: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:06 am

Hi all,

For right handed golfers, if I have a tendecy to chicken wing my left arm after impact, is there any drills you guys can recommend to stop this?

Appreciate any advice...
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:11 am

scholes25 wrote:
Hi all,

For right handed golfers, if I have a tendecy to chicken wing my left arm after impact, is there any drills you guys can recommend to stop this?

Appreciate any advice...
Stick a glove under your left armpit... This should help stop the chicken wing after impact
Back to top Go down
scholes25
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:53 am

Is the glove supposed dropped out at the end of the swing or it is supposed to stay in the armpit even at the end of the swing?

I tried it a couple of times, but not sure it should stay or dropped.
It feels more natural when it drops while trying to keep it the arm pit felt really weird!!!
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 11:54 am

scholes25 wrote:
Is the glove supposed dropped out at the end of the swing or it is supposed to stay in the armpit even at the end of the swing?

I tried it a couple of times, but not sure it should stay or dropped.
It feels more natural when it drops while trying to keep it the arm pit felt really weird!!!
It is meant to stay... This is also to help you rotate round the left leg correctly...
Also helps in striking the ball
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:14 pm

I used to have major case of chicken wing when I started. My coach give me this tip:

Chicken wing is when your body/shoulder still faces the original ball position after impact and your right hand already moved past the ball and starts releasing. Without body rotation, the left hand/elbow has no place to go but move up and form the chicken wing.

To add to Jonl's tips: With the glove on your left armpit, ensure full rotation or turn (or release) your body/shoulder towards target after impact to a full finish. I wont feel weird if your rotate your body. Gloves will fall only after a full finish.

Now I love chicken wings, especially at OCC.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:21 pm

I tot the chic wings at Royal Johor was great.

In SG, I luv those fm Jerry's.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:25 pm

MBGC is good. Changi Village Nasi Lemak too.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:35 pm

The Changi Village one quite overrated le.

I like my Punggol Nasi Lemak one. Jerry's isn't too bad either.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:37 pm

Punggol from the Tanjung Katong outlet one?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 pm

OH OH......I forgotten...another gem, the nearest one to my place..........................Ikea !!!!!

If there is a chick wing makan-get-together, I will go and grab them.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:39 pm

Punggol from Hougang/Upper Serangoon Road Outlet. The one in TJKT is the newer branch.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Chicken wings from ice cold beer simply superb!
Back to top Go down
scholes25
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Hahah..... Thanks for all the chicken wing tips! Personal fav is at Ikea's! Simply amazing stuff. And for the golf's chicken wing tip. Just to clarify, at the top of the swing, the glove will drop. But it should in the armpit prior to the end. Correct?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 3:05 pm

The chicken wing is just the end product of a steep, outside to in downswing. The causes of this steep downswing are too numerous to mention in the forum but to simplify, you need to have the club coming in flatter and more inside to enable the follow through to be correct.

Be careful with the glove under arm drill as it will cause your left arm to stay too connected to your body on the backswing and could lead to reverse pivoting problems.

Best to have your swing analysed to find out why you are coming in steep and then correct that (the cause) rather than the chicken wing (sympton)
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Agree with Paul, the Chicken Wing is the "result" not the "cause"... if you fix the cause the result will not happen...

If something bad is happening after impact, there is something before impact causing it....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
The chicken wing is just the end product of a steep, outside to in downswing. The causes of this steep downswing are too numerous to mention in the forum but to simplify, you need to have the club coming in flatter and more inside to enable the follow through to be correct.

Be careful with the glove under arm drill as it will cause your left arm to stay too connected to your body on the backswing and could lead to reverse pivoting problems.

Best to have your swing analysed to find out why you are coming in steep and then correct that (the cause) rather than the chicken wing (sympton)

Yeap paul, i was stupid enough to learn to correct it via youtube... and guest what, from chicken wing to turkey wing.... so eventually, got some tips and generally i practise a drill that eventually erase the chicken wing totally. So end of day, get a proper pro to analyse for you and get it corrected instead of learning golf via wordings on the forum.
Back to top Go down
rayall
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Not sure if this will help. Used to have a slice/fade problem where my left arm doesn't fully extend through impact and follow-through. Pro threw in a sandbag (knee height) right next to my left foot (i'm right handed) just behind the "line of swing". Kinda forces left arm fully extend and body to follow through without hitting the sandbag... else heart pain for my clubs. Smile
Back to top Go down
zixter
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:37 am

Means using too much of right arm? Straighten both arms should be able to prevent this ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to stop the chicken wing?   How to stop the chicken wing? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to stop the chicken wing?
Page 1 of 1