Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap

Go down 
+7
eyz4eva
iuh
Jack321
hoppie
S70B
sandkie
Newtogolf
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap Empty
PostSubject: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm very new to golf though so it sounds a little amateurish.

I had read regarding the requirement for a PC and a valid handicap to be able to play golf on Singapore's golf courses. So I was wondering if a PC and valid Handicap is also required to play on courses at Bintan, Batam, Johor or Thailand?

My friends have often told me that driving off at the range is very different from driving off at the course. Would certainly like to play a few holes at the course to have a feel of what it is like but the thought of taking an exam for the PC is really turning me off though.
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Most courses in Bintan, Batan and Johor do not require PC or handicap.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:03 am

Everyone has to start somewhere.

I think if you go overseas for golf, majority of the courses do not require one.

However, u have to look at ur lifestyle. Are u willing to sacrifice 3/4 to a full day doing 18 holes? Fighting crowds at the causeway or taking ferries just for golf? Over time, it will wear alot of ppl out and quite honestly, I rather play in Sg where it oni takes up half a day with minimum travel time required.

If u can only play wkns, mebbe overseas is an option but if u can play weekdays, its not that ex to play in Sg if u do it once a week or fortnite.

Nowadays, there are 'groups' like Mygolfkaki or SSG where some of the forumers here are members of. I'm sure they can chime in on how to join n the R & C of the 'club'.

PCs can be awarded by a few pros on this forum where it will allow u to play a limited number of courses in Sg like NSRCC par 3 course or EGC.

Work towards owning a hdcp. It will def open up more options for u if u choose to play this game for long in Sg.
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 am

I see. Thanks S70B.

Actually I'm currently working in Thailand. And being new to the game, I had tried asking information from the folks around me but it seems for one weird reason or another, the information all comes in bits and pieces. Thank god for the internet. I'm able to gather enough information and hunt out for a pro who's charging a relatively decent price.

I'll definitely work towards a hdcp instead of a PC. It will be good to see where I stand in terms of relative skill of the game! Smile
Back to top Go down
hoppie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:03 am

Newtogolf wrote:
I see. Thanks S70B.

Actually I'm currently working in Thailand. And being new to the game, I had tried asking information from the folks around me but it seems for one weird reason or another, the information all comes in bits and pieces. Thank god for the internet. I'm able to gather enough information and hunt out for a pro who's charging a relatively decent price.

I'll definitely work towards a hdcp instead of a PC. It will be good to see where I stand in terms of relative skill of the game! Smile

Is your name happen to be Derek? hehe
Back to top Go down
Jack321
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Can I check if my PC Card from modern pro golf (coach is peter lim) is recognized by local or regional golf courses?
Back to top Go down
iuh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
iuh

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 11:28 pm

Jack321 wrote:
Can I check if my PC Card from modern pro golf (coach is peter lim) is recognized by local or regional golf courses?

Hi Jack321

i dont think it is recognized. i tried playing using it at OCC and MBGC, but end up took the swing test. hope that helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
eyz4eva
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 12:02 pm

he's not pga accredited, but usgtf. so you can't use it at any spga golf clubs. but you can still play at the executive golf course.
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 8:26 am

Never understood the need for PC. It's a uniquely Singapore thing (I think)... Sure, you get the rules, etiquette, blah blah.. But you still get them from coaches or as you play your first few rounds leading to a taking handicap.. Seems to me like a additional step and revenue generation scheme .. That's me saying of course...
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 2:18 pm

PC is originally from country clubs issued to their members after they took up the sport while they learn to master the game and take the handicap test (now referred to as Courtesy Round). It is kind of interim cert which allow them to play at their own club while they improve their skill.

Some how the coaches from some driving ranges also issued PC which is not valid anywhere else. Probably gimmicks to attract students. 

If you learn from driving ranges, don't bother to take the PC, just join one of the associate members of SGA and take your hcp through their Courtesy round.

Here is the link to various associate members of SGA. SGA Associate members
If you are serious and want to learn more, join SSG. The rest of the members are mostly interested in your money to maintain hcp with them as they don't follow USGA guidelines strictly. See here for USGA handicapping system and guide http://www.usga.org/Handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14367

Just my personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
[Chris]
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 4:17 pm

neutralgolfer wrote:
PC is originally from country clubs issued to their members after they took up the sport while they learn to master the game and take the handicap test (now referred to as Courtesy Round). It is kind of interim cert which allow them to play at their own club while they improve their skill.

Some how the coaches from some driving ranges also issued PC which is not valid anywhere else. Probably gimmicks to attract students. 

If you learn from driving ranges, don't bother to take the PC, just join one of the associate members of SGA and take your hcp through their Courtesy round.

Here is the link to various associate members of SGA. SGA Associate members
If you are serious and want to learn more, join SSG. The rest of the members are mostly interested in your money to maintain hcp with them as they don't follow USGA guidelines strictly. See here for USGA handicapping system and guide http://www.usga.org/Handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14367

Just my personal opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I went to the websites of the various associate members and they all listed that to be able to apply for a handicap, you need to submit 'five 18-holes score cards'. 

So let's say someone wants to do it locally. To be able to play five 18-hole games, you need the PC to show the respective club and to be able to book a game on their course?
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 4:33 pm

For the score cards, you can submit any USGA rated golf courses including those in Malaysia and other countries. You can submit 5 MBGC (public course) score cards with swing test to play at the course.

Sometimes, you can take the test first but you must submit the 5 score cards then they will issue the hcp index. The 5 score cards are merely to see your average playing ability. Dun submit fake score cards, otherwise your hcp index will not be accurate.

Without valid hcp, I doubt you will be able to play any member's course in SG.
Back to top Go down
orionng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Newtogolf wrote:
I'm very new to golf though so it sounds a little amateurish.

I had read regarding the requirement for a PC and a valid handicap to be able to play golf on Singapore's golf courses. So I was wondering if a PC and valid Handicap is also required to play on courses at Bintan, Batam, Johor or Thailand?

My friends have often told me that driving off at the range is very different from driving off at the course. Would certainly like to play a few holes at the course to have a feel of what it is like but the thought of taking an exam for the PC is really turning me off though.

Why don't you try screen golf?  Get a feel what it feels like to play 18 holes with more than 100 courses to chooses from.
No handicap or PC required.
there's also an article on Singapore golf courses that might shed more light. - golf takes knowledge
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap   A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A little curious on Proficiency Cert & Handicap
Page 1 of 1