Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs

Go down 
+53
vinjess
BryanSiow
The_edge
TaylorMadeKL
jwing
zhikang
acidic88
eqtrend
Derek
EOS fan
schnell
luffy
audi
iluvcookies
skitter
TK
jeffman88
IGT
shimizu.toruk
ngjw89
slep3er
nirvani
kwannick
benedictteo83
slinger
pakleow
clau
Benjiamin Hunter
thehacker
pushslice
zhenxua
quacks
b.b.carabanesis
mloy
naij
Shaggy
cyhcyh
ghoonk
Birdman
bensonkohtk
keithngzx
Ssquirrel
mcsl
Ken_
G_Man
mUAr_cHEe
ironfist
Duval_S
jaketang
nientsu
desmondwong
watermyforrest
Technospaz
57 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:16 am

I'm sure many of you here love your golf clubs and would like to make sure that they are properly cleaned and cared for. Also, clean clubs perform better than dirty clubs! I'm trying to compile of list of links/tips to help educate others on how to clean and care for their clubs. Please share and I'll add this on to the first post.

Links
1. A basic but useful guide.
2. How to clean golf clubs (D'Andrea Golf Club).
3. How to clean golf clubs (About.Com).
4. Cleaning golf club heads (DoItYourself.Com).
5. How to clean Callaway golf clubs (eHow).

Putter Care
This is from the Scotty Cameron website:

Scotty Cameron wrote:
Putter Care

The unique feel of Scotty Cameron by Titleist putters results from the use of milled carbon steel heads. This material is susceptible to oxidation and rusting if left damp. To preserve the natural finish of your putter you are urged to follow a few simple guidelines:

- Always dry your putter at the end of the day with the soft silicone cloth supplied.
- We suggest storing the cloth in your cover during the round and even wiping down the putter a few times during the round.
- Always use a dry headcover.
- Never leave you putter in damp or cold atmospheres.

The Gun Blue, Oil Can and Teryllium series putters are most susceptible so please follow these guidelines carefully. The Pro Platinum finish is more durable because there is a plating between the soft carbon steel and the elements but care should be taken to avoid dings, which can rust. The 1996 Copper rack featured 7 putters made from soft carbon steel and plated with copper. These putters are intended to oxidize into a rich patina but should still be maintained with your oil cloth. We suggest following the above guidelines to ensure that the beautiful finish of your Scotty Cameron putter can be preserved indefinitely.

Baby Oil
The use of baby oil has also been discussed before so for those who don't know, here's an excerpt from Reader's Digest (RD):

Reader's Digest wrote:
Buff up your golf clubs
Don't waste your money on fancy cleaning kits for your chrome-plated carbon steel golf club heads. Just keep a small bottle filled with baby oil in your golf bag along with a chamois cloth or towel. Dab a few drops of oil on the cloth and polish the head of your club after each round of golf.

Singer Oil
Singer oil works too (as will any 100% mineral oil). Thanks to G_Man for the tip:

G_Man wrote:
singer is okay, but it isnt cost efficient and its a hell when it gets on our skins and we have to try to get it off just before a game. Bearing in mind mineral oil is the main ingredient in most cosmetic products. And you can get it at most hardware stores as a wood stain. Just look for 100% mineral oil and you are fine.

Videos

Last edited by Technospaz on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:20 am

How about:
- Golf bags
- Golf shoes
- Car

They are all golf related Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am

watermyforrest wrote:
How about:
- Golf bags
- Golf shoes
- Car

They are all golf related Laughing

... and we wait for input from WMF on how he cares for these Razz
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:32 am

Err... I don't, no time Razz
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:47 am

watermyforrest wrote:
Err... I don't, no time Razz

Never mind, as long as you have time to arrange our Sunday games and play... can already Smile
Back to top Go down
desmondwong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 am

thanks for the links!

i always like to play with clean clubs... psychological bah... outcome probably no diff for me lah, but at least i feel good looking at them...

and clean shoes too... so i wash my shoes once in a while to make them less muddy/mucky... Smile

hopefully by being kind to them, they will be kind to me on the course as well.. Smile
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:16 am

Arnt our clubs just like our girlfriends. Before you buy them, you yearn for them everyday. Once you get them, you give them TLC everyday. You wash them clean, go range with them. But once you see a new model, the whole cycle repeats again and all we think about is to find the best price for our clubs.....
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:25 am

I also find that cleaning my clubs is a very calming process... Helps me unwind from a rotten round of golf.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:46 am

i am too lazy or un-interested to clean my clubs anymore... sigh...

but i did teach my maid how to clean it.. kekekeke...

dxmm... i m getting lazy... hahaha

*but i do clean the club face after every shot during a game...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 pm

Call me paranoid....but I think hor...the better I treat my clubs...there will be direct correlation to the clubs performance on course. Good Karma...bonding....

So after game, I spend wiping them using cotton towel infront of TV (Golf Channel) and encouraging each of them to try to replicate the shots I am seeing on TV. Then I will air them at the balcony...to ensure the clubs are stress free....overseeing the trees and jungle...After that, slowly coax them into their covers...for rest .....until the next game...

Hopefully with such TLC and encouragement, they can perform during my next game.....20th SSG monthly medal.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 1:01 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Call me paranoid....but I think hor...the better I treat my clubs...there will be direct correlation to the clubs performance on course. Good Karma...bonding....

So after game, I spend wiping them using cotton towel infront of TV (Golf Channel) and encouraging each of them to try to replicate the shots I am seeing on TV. Then I will air them at the balcony...to ensure the clubs are stress free....overseeing the trees and jungle...After that, slowly coax them into their covers...for rest .....until the next game...

Hopefully with such TLC and encouragement, they can perform during my next game.....20th SSG monthly medal.

LOL! Same here... I watch the Golf Channel while I clean my clubs. I feel that it may help improve my game if my clubs are shown some love while they see their "brethren" perform on TV.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:16 pm

wah somehow the thought of scrubbing my clubs with a wire brush feels too painful! i'd usually just use a nylon brush, a towel and lots of water! Very Happy and i know what you mean techno! and it's pretty soothing to clean and there's that satisfaction when they're all sparkling clean! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:27 pm

i think not advisable to use those wired brush (my own opinion)... i think in long run, you will scrub off some of the surface....

and will cause rust too... will it?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:32 pm

I don't think so. The wired brush isn't too hard. It's quite brittle and helps to get rid of dirt stuck in the grooves of the club.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I don't think so. The wired brush isn't too hard. It's quite brittle and helps to get rid of dirt stuck in the grooves of the club.

then tht's alrite i guess.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 3:42 pm

jaketang wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

then tht's alrite i guess.... Smile

You can try my brush at the game on Friday.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm

must go for spa once in a while...

Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs 2600552562_c27557f8ce
cleaning with water, toothpick and brush while overseas.

Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs 2683539531_3665c8bf45
cleaning with water and brush while at home.

Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs 3048305941_09ce2a78a6
after cleaning while overseas.

Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs 3262752722_7f5a90ca86
after cleaning while overseas.

I make an effort to clean my club after every game by myself. i somehow take pleasure in it.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 pm

I sometimes use my discarded tooth-brush.....I make sure I take the strain and stress of the toothbrush first on my own set of gums and teeth ............ before brushing it on my troops...aka my clubs
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:23 pm

Duval_S wrote:
I sometimes use my discarded tooth-brush.....I make sure I take the strain and stress of the toothbrush first on my own set of gums and teeth ............ before brushing it on my troops...aka my clubs

I too used an old toothbrush but realized that the bristles were far too used to have any serious effect on the grooves/dirt.
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:29 pm

hmm then what about forged irons? any idea how frequent we have to oil them?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:31 pm

ironfist wrote:
hmm then what about forged irons? any idea how frequent we have to oil them?

I don't have forged irons so will leave that to the "pros" Smile But I do oil my irons after each game... the head and shaft, and I clean the grips too Smile
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Now this is a thread I see myself really getting into!
Baby Oil, better to get Mineral Oil from hardware shops, literally the same thing, but unscented. 5.60 gets 1 litre
Brush, Metal brushes not the best idea. recommend small brushes for household use. NTUC 1.80!!!
Dish washing liquid, two rags...

but must always dry out the clubs. Ideally in the sun as water does get into the shafts and storing them before drying them out WILL cause pitting... And always sun the iron covers, moist covers will encourage rust as well...
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:51 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs 3048305941_09ce2a78a6

Hrmmm, where did you get the grips on your irons from???
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm

where else?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs   Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cleaning & Caring for your Clubs
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next