Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.

Go down 
+8
Birdman
Branong
DGman
hkhamateur
sob
haragolfer
entity
Denmeister
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   Empty
PostSubject: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 am

Just happened to see this article on Golf WRX.  

Would like to share with all, as it will save us some money by prolonging the lifespan of our grips a little longer.

I usually use soap and water to wipe down my grips after every game.  This helps with retaining the tackiness of the grips.

The article illustrated some other products that we can also use.  Anyhow, here's the link.

http://www.golfwrx.com/136201/a-golfers-guide-to-grip-care/
Back to top Go down
entity
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks for the link.  Same as tyres on a car, the grip is the only contact we have with the club.  I wipe down my grips with a wet towel after every game too, just to stave off the rubber hardening and cracking.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am

I find pure grips have longr lasting tackiness than golf prides.   softer too.  have not needed to clean grips since I changed.  the golf prides do get slick aNd hard especially on the wedges after a few. months for me.
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:55 am

Tried the GP Niion grips recently,feels and  looks good but slippery when wet.
Have to make sure that its dry when using else might slip, bad for bros with sweaty palms.

Like the Tour wraps easy maintence, just wipe down after use.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Just happened to see this article on Golf WRX.  

Would like to share with all, as it will save us some money by prolonging the lifespan of our grips a little longer.

I usually use soap and water to wipe down my grips after every game.  This helps with retaining the tackiness of the grips.

The article illustrated some other products that we can also use.  Anyhow, here's the link.

http://www.golfwrx.com/136201/a-golfers-guide-to-grip-care/
Yeap...I did the abv method but only end of the week n b ready fr a new week start. Wink 
Unless was caught in the rain then clean all clubs nt just grip. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 10:18 pm

mama lemon or dish washing detergent will be the best compound to take grease and grime. if you want faster results, pour hot water (not boiling) over grip, let it soak in for a few minutes  before using dish washing detergent and scrubbing with a brush.

to reactive the tackiness on rubber or cord grips we using wipe with acetone after drying. i learned this from the Golf Pride european tour rep.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Branong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Bros, is there any diff if you have a multi compound grip or normal ones?
Still can use detergent to wash?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Branong, just wash it the same way as far as I know.

Multi compound just has fabric (cord) impregnated into the rubber of the upper half for better grip, the bottom half is all rubber for feel.

Back to top Go down
Branong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 am

Ok great!
thanks bro.
Back to top Go down
sunnydaze
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:38 pm

DGman wrote:
mama lemon or dish washing detergent will be the best compound to take grease and grime. if you want faster results, pour hot water (not boiling) over grip, let it soak in for a few minutes  before using dish washing detergent and scrubbing with a brush.

to reactive the tackiness on rubber or cord grips we using wipe with acetone after drying. i learned this from the Golf Pride european tour rep.
Thanks for the tip. Manage to lay my hands on a bottle of acetone. Work like magic!
Back to top Go down
righthook
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
righthook

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:51 pm

sunnydaze wrote:
DGman wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Manage to lay my hands on a bottle of acetone. Work like magic!
bro, could you share where did you get your acetone from?Beer
Back to top Go down
popeyex
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 2:57 pm

i got some from my electronic technicians, they used it to clean PCBs. i believe you can find it from those electronic/hardware shops.
Back to top Go down
sunnydaze
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Righthook,

I got it from an ex colleague who works in an industry which uses it for cleaning. 

Please use in a well ventilated area.
Back to top Go down
righthook
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
righthook

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 6:16 pm

thanks popeyex & sunnydaze

cheers
Back to top Go down
Branong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 pm

I tried calling one old grip with warm water mixed with 1/3 white vinegar.
It's like new now.

But the smell is bad. Haha
Back to top Go down
mrunix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06, 2014 3:03 pm

very good info, will try at home today....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.    Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.   I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prolonging the life of your grips --- cleaning them.
Page 1 of 1