Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you take practice swings?

Go down 
+10
TheFocalPoint
zhenxua
r510tp
Cyp_PGA
slinger
mloy
sandkie
blee67
Duval_S
Technospaz
14 posters

Practice swings are for wusses! I'm go for show!
Do you take practice swings? I_vote_lcap21%Do you take practice swings? I_vote_rcap
 21% [ 7 ]
I'll take one swing and then, KABOOM!
Do you take practice swings? I_vote_lcap21%Do you take practice swings? I_vote_rcap
 21% [ 7 ]
2 practice swings for me, thankyouverymuch
Do you take practice swings? I_vote_lcap39%Do you take practice swings? I_vote_rcap
 39% [ 13 ]
I usually do 3. Gets my body warmed up.
Do you take practice swings? I_vote_lcap6%Do you take practice swings? I_vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
I'll dig a bunker before I hit an actual shot!
Do you take practice swings? I_vote_lcap12%Do you take practice swings? I_vote_rcap
 12% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 33

AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Do you take practice swings? Empty
PostSubject: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Having recently played with ZX, I realized that he hits amazing shots (long and straight) without ever taking a practice swing. I also noticed that Monty doesn't take practice swings.

From my perspective, my practice swings appear decent but then the actual swing is quite the opposite. I'm considering skipping practice swings altogether. I was wondering what you all do... practice swings perchance?

For those who are keen, here's a good article on this topic.

I should say that I think taking practice swings before using short irons/wedges is useful since that's where precision is most important.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:08 pm

I totally agree....its amazing that ZX does not take practising swing...he really ensure that its ' one shot , one kill'....maybe he was a snipper during army days.

for me, there is no long game...also, I do slow motion of simulating the swing plane....and be very careful not to unnecessarily waste any good shot......
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:11 pm

Practice is one of my pre-shot routine.
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 pm

I used to NOT taking practice swing because when I did, my shot became worse...

After attending lesson, I realized it was because I did not have a consistent thought when I did my practice swing... My coach encouraged me to think about accelerating through the ball because fear was (and still is) my biggest problem. I realized my shot now has become more consistent due to my practice swing....

In the beginning, my practice swing really looks like the real swing (same arc, same speed, taking divot). But now, it is like a lesser swing without taking a divot... It appears to be as effective because my thought is still the same and I liked this better because i have to repair less divot...
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Most of the time I don't. Everytime when I do practice swing is seem okay and when I actually hit the ball "tock"and god knows where, sometimes no where. When I address the ball I will tell myself what I am supposed to do and just do it. I know, practice swing is important but......to each its own I guess.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:38 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Having recently played with ZX, I realized that he hits amazing shots (long and straight) without ever taking a practice swing. I also noticed that Monty doesn't take practice swings.

I should say that I think taking practice swings before using short irons/wedges is useful since that's where precision is most important.

TS, we are family man, so its normal for us to have practise swings...

i suspect ZX is a geylang crowd, u know those places how to have practise swings, dun talk about mulligans.... bounce
Back to top Go down
mloy
Caddy
Caddy
mloy

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:43 pm

slinger wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

i suspect ZX is a geylang crowd, u know those places how to have practise swings, dun talk about mulligans.... bounce

ROFL ROFL ROFL
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 pm

slinger wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

LOL!!! Wah... almost pee'd myself laughing.
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:41 pm

I have 2 practice swing behind the ball and not on the ball ,it a routine that my coach and me put in place to elaborate an absolute focus to not care anything exept the flag i had the tendency to look at all trouble.... in between me and the flat . It also to make my focus and aim more sharper. i saw a lot of social or addict golfer taking practicing on the ball it isnot the good way to practice as when you stand on the ball you should just swing it . i think everything should be done behind the ball it give an oportunity to think and see the best way to play your shot and aim at . when i stand at the ball , i'm aiming and fire at the pin . and if i'm lucky enough i'll be near the pin ...
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 11:30 pm

I used to take just 1 practice swing before each shot. However, if my flight is playing a little slow, I skip my practice swing to save a little time.

In the end, I got so used to just hitting the ball that I stopped any practice swings altogether. I found there is absolutely no difference on how the shot turns out. It's all in the mind and 1 extra swing would not change anything for me... Smile
Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 11:44 pm

i think you can skip the practice swing but some form of waggling to keep the hands loose is still necessary

shifu, pls spare me!
Back to top Go down
TheFocalPoint
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
TheFocalPoint

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 2:31 am

no.
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 8:34 pm

My practice swing always seems better than my actualt swing. Laughing
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2010 11:36 pm

Kookk wrote:

Ain't that the truth for many of us here.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 7:52 am

asahi wrote:
Kookk wrote:

Bro, my actual swing same as practice swing lei.. but hor, cannot connect. Sad
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 8:14 am

i do 1 - 2 times before actual shot
Back to top Go down
MPA
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 9:15 am

i do practice swing for pitching and chipping. For longer irons and woods i dont usually do practice swing but i do take sometime for the set up
Back to top Go down
Kookk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 9:36 am

asahi wrote:
Kookk wrote:

Guess it is all in the mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you take practice swings?   Do you take practice swings? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1