Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?

Go down 
+11
Batman
duffader
imun
mUAr_cHEe
pushslice
Duval_S
weesern
asahi
eiji
Cyp_PGA
Exigence78
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Exigence78
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? Empty
PostSubject: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi Guys,

seem to have a funny problem with my driver......ball goes straight and then fades to the right (a lot) before landing....

have maintained Neutral position of my R9 driver.....but even at the range when I tried to close the setting all the way....same ball flight.....

does not happen to my irons, FW or hybrids....

can anyone advise if it's the swing or the gripping of the driver?

thanks....

Exigence78
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:09 pm

need see picture , and video if you can ... or see a coach because there is 100 of reason why you can go right
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:09 pm

see a pro
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Same problem I have but mine is a soft fade. Saw a pro and the problem for me was my right arm not turning over after impact.
Still trying to rectify this problem now.

Well, I can't see yr swing so cannot say if you have same problem as me.
Best to check with pros.

All the best!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:17 am

If you look at the ball flight theory that RSC posted, it may be the path tat is out to in... but like wat Cyp said, there are tons of reasons why to goes that way
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:19 am

Quote :
Exigence78 wrote:
Hi Guys,

seem to have a funny problem with my driver......ball goes straight and then fades to the right (a lot) before landing....

That looks like my ball flight....I term it as Power Fade. my dispersion fm 179m mark is around 18m to the right
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:45 am

DS, yeah it does looks like yours, but you intentionally aim left. So the ball looked like going left and return to center.

Exigence78, Like what RSC posted on ball flight laws, it sounds like an out-to-in swing path, coupled with a square face at impact. Show some down-the-line vids of your swing, the teaching pros here may be able to comment.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 9:53 am

why dun u try and experiment then u know? Smile
Back to top Go down
imun
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:01 pm

Could this problem be due to the shaft in the driver?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:05 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
why dun u try and experiment then u know? Smile

Oei Kuku... people try liao cannot then ask lah....
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have the same problem as u bro.... though I didnt see a pro, I'd more/ less narrowed it down to the fact that my body turns faster than my arms during down swing. Hence the club face is more open at impact and send the ball straight initially, then power fade until it becomes a slice....

My remedy? Slow down my body swing a tad, swing my arms a tad faster, set my R9 460 driver to extreme left, tee up 1 ball length more towards my left leg, close the club head a little at address. Then practice n practice n practice at the range

I'm sure a lot of pple will say its not the most orthodox way, but heck, if it works, I take it anytime. So far has not let me down during my last few games. Drove the ball straight for some 210-220m and always love a dog-right hole Razz
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:45 pm

Batman wrote:
I have the same problem as u bro.... though I didnt see a pro, I'd more/ less narrowed it down to the fact that my body turns faster than my arms during down swing. Hence the club face is more open at impact and send the ball straight initially, then power fade until it becomes a slice....

My remedy? Slow down my body swing a tad, swing my arms a tad faster, set my R9 460 driver to extreme left, tee up 1 ball length more towards my left leg, close the club head a little at address. Then practice n practice n practice at the range

I'm sure a lot of pple will say its not the most orthodox way, but heck, if it works, I take it anytime. So far has not let me down during my last few games. Drove the ball straight for some 210-220m and always love a dog-right hole Razz

wow.... scarely le
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:58 pm

ok lar brother.... u more scary leh
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Batman wrote:

Wah..like that ahh... can give me 2-2 ????
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 9:08 am

no prob bro.. 3-3 also can.. But if I win 1 hole I win e whole game. Steady Bo? Smile
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 10:43 am

so many things to change... can u remember?? why not just try a stronger grip and see if it helps, then move to another remedy... I find having the too much infront can either pull or slice if the club face is square to target line
Back to top Go down
TObe
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TObe

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Bro,

i think it's difficult for us here to solve your problem as:
1) we may not be in the best position to advise as we are not "pro-coaches" (referring to most of us here); or
2) the pros here who are qualified will find it difficult to help since they have not seen your swing.

Best advise would be to see a coach...

HOWEVER, all is not lost as what we can do here to help is to provide whatever 'possible fixes' that we may know of that addresses a slice/strong fade. You can then compile a list and perhaps try them one by one (at range) to see if they work. Usually, that's what some people do - via trial and error - to find the possible fault.

Here's a list of stuff that I've tried before in curbing my slice (they do still creep up once in a while when i let my guard down but so far some have helped):

-one good solution is to video record your swing (slo-mo preferred) and compare to a pro's swing. it'll give pretty good indications of what's wrong.
-trying out of a 'strong' grip to help square the club face earlier
-keep the right foot (for righty) about half a foot back for your stance such that you're standing one foot front and one foot (right foot) back at address. (this is a good drill to promote in-to-out swing)
-adjust the steepness of your swing plane (perhaps a flatter plane helps to reduce slice)
-ensure your take-away does not start 'inside the line' (a pair of golf 'chopsticks' can help in this drill) -> this is quite effective as I just tried using and it works for irons, woods and driver

Hope this helps! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 am

assuming you dont want to go to the pros as yet, come to SSN and there will be bros (and good players) to point out for you if your path is inside or outside or grip too weak, too strong etc.
e.g. Bro Vinny fixed my slice during SSN, sometimes it's so obvious that you dont need a pro to tell you the obvious.

this apply to all forumers who want to ask for swing help from the forum, very tough to do without looking at actual swings..all just guesses.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 11:59 am

I agree with bro PS, fm the SSN, I learnt that I am very lacking in only a few areas of the golf game.

So like they say, to improve, one needs to know what to improve.

My lists for improvement areas are:
short game
long game,
driver,
putting,
hybrid,
wood...

Once I get these improved, i will be a decent golfer.
Back to top Go down
Streamer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Streamer

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 12:13 pm

From my coach I learnt that the reason why i slice is due to my overswing in my back swing (I.e. Club head point to the right side at the end of the back swing). As a result of this move, my body will correct by swinging from out to in during the down swing. Again, this was never obvious to me till I saw myself in the video. Once I have understood the concept and issue, I think you will be able to then try to fix it. Thus, in my opinion best to see a coach or someone to help you. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?   Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problem with my swing or gripping of Driver?
Page 1 of 1