Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Difference in performance

Go down 
+12
jocheang
golfcrazzi
Birdman
pocketace
asahi
skybobo
DGman
slinger
weesern
Frederick
Duval_S
ironstarz
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Difference in performance Empty
PostSubject: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 7:40 pm

Jeez whenever i am at range , my shots are usually consistent. 7i hitting 130-140 etc... But when i move on to course / grass, i almost topped all my balls!!!! Is there any particular reason for this to be happening ? Or anyone else facing the same problem ?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Quote :
ironstarz wrote:
Jeez whenever i am at range , my shots are usually consistent. 7i hitting 130-140 etc... But when i move on to course / grass, i almost topped all my balls!!!! Is there any particular reason for this to be happening ? Or anyone else facing the same problem ?

hmmm...maybe without you knowing.....you became a range pro......

ok ok..seriously, there are many reasons but I will say that you start with your mind and emotion....if you are indeed a range pro, then take note of the small things like setup, over swing...over excited. wind, lie.....all that comes into play.

if you want to here the extreme version of why such things happen, let me know.....it will be quite an awakening...
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Bro i dun mind hearing the extreme version , and i dun think i am a range pro. I am a just a member of SCSC Club
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Oh ya SCSC club = Sometimes can sometimes cannot
Back to top Go down
Frederick
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Frederick

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:45 pm

ironstarz wrote:

Hi bro... just to share. I, too have this problem and I have identified two areas which require attention. Firstly, course confidence... how often do you play? If we play too little on course, we have the tendency to want to "perform" on the golf course.

Secondly the range is quite deceiving,... our swing may feel right on the range but actually our body rotation/swing may be wrong... which is why we top the ball. We top the ball because the club has passed the lowest point and going upwards. But in actual fact, we should be striking down to create a divot. If this is not happening(divot).... I suspect that the body rotation is incorrect.

What do you think?

Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Frederick wrote:
ironstarz wrote:

Hi bro... just to share. I, too have this problem and I have identified two areas which require attention. Firstly, course confidence... how often do you play? If we play too little on course, we have the tendency to want to "perform" on the golf course.

Secondly the range is quite deceiving,... our swing may feel right on the range but actually our body rotation/swing may be wrong... which is why we top the ball. We top the ball because the club has passed the lowest point and going upwards. But in actual fact, we should be striking down to create a divot. If this is not happening(divot).... I suspect that the body rotation is incorrect.

What do you think?

Pt 1 is pretty true. When no one is looking at me maybe i can hit, whenever i tell someone check out my swing and it goes haywire!!!

Pt 2 i need to head back to see my pro for feedback Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:15 pm

may be different expectations...

at the range you see how far the ball will go... on green you want the ball to go that far.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:16 pm

sometimes its the tension in your hands....

when u know on the course u need to hit a good shot....with only a ball

whereby in the range, u have countless balls to try a good shot....

confidence is key....
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:17 pm

only one advice......go and play more on the course.

nothing beats getting course experience including composure and developing your own routine.

DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:38 pm

when u are at the range, you have min 30 chance to flush a 7i (assuming 1 token bring you 30 balls) if u cannot flush the 1st one, its ok, you have 2nd chance, 3rd chance and so on

on course, you have only 1 chance
if u top it
ur confidence will suffer
all your 101 swing thoughts will come in

did i forget to initiate with my hips, did i look up, is my wrist cupped blah blah blah........

Try to have a pre shot routine for every shot, relax and you will play better
Afterall, its just a game
A lousy day on course sure beats any day in the office Smile
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm

skybobo wrote:

I 2nd that.

A bad day out at the course is a lot more better than hitting bucketloads of good shots at the range.

Anyway, if you have great flightmates along with you, it does not matter having a lousy score.

Their company should more than make up the lousy scores. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 pm

skybobo wrote:
when u are at the range, you have min 30 chance to flush a 7i (assuming 1 token bring you 30 balls) if u cannot flush the 1st one, its ok, you have 2nd chance, 3rd chance and so on

on course, you have only 1 chance
if u top it
ur confidence will suffer
all your 101 swing thoughts will come in

did i forget to initiate with my hips, did i look up, is my wrist cupped blah blah blah........

Try to have a pre shot routine for every shot, relax and you will play better
Afterall, its just a game

steady la bro, sounds like a chapter out of 'Golf is not a game of perfect'
shorthitter fixed our swing and fixed our golfing brains too!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 10:18 pm

And to add, striping over 100 balls in the range is not 'practicing properly' as shorthitter likes to put it. Try to build in your pre shot routine, aim at a target in the range, ensure good alignment. I find that I have a decent practice session by hitting only 60 balls in the range at times. Try it out, and bring that routine to course.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 12:04 am

Ironstarz, you mentioned your shot distance is consistent. May I ask how is your dispersion (side to side)? How also do you practice? Just hit a ball, pull another over while still in your stance then hit another? Do you aim for a target with every ball? Do you practice your set up routine with every ball?

Only you have the answers to all these questions bro, hitting well on the range does not translate to the same on the course. Every golfer has experienced the same transition as you are at one time or another while taking up the game. You may have worked your swing at the range, but you didn't work, or prepare your mind, at the same time.

There is a lot of instruction available on how to practise productively so your swing transits well to the course. You just have to google it.

One of the main reasons of you are having problems is what I term "target anxiety". On the course, your focus is on the target (green or flag) whereas on the range, there is no such anxiety because you are there "just to hit balls" and practice your swing. It doesn't matter where your ball goes (left, right, or center), just as long it goes a certain distance. And if you hit one ball bad, it doesn't matter, since like a bro here said, there's always another. And that's the way most golfers practice at the range.

Plus the fact that the range bays subconsciously help you line up. Notice the dividers point straight down the range? And also the edge of the mat where your ball is teed up? Take that away on the course and the golfer has no idea how to aim cos there no more points of reference with the bay dividers and the edge of the mat.

Speaking of the mat, there is also the difference with mat and ground density. This has been well documented so I shall not go into it.

It's a very common thing for range warriors not to be able to hit the ball properly on the course. Like what DGman said, need more course time along with constructive practice, simple as that.
Back to top Go down
golfcrazzi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 12:22 am

Sometimes I have the problem of topping the ball too. Especially when playing on a new course, later then I realised why i kept topping the ball.

It is like what all the expert here mentioned, basically anxiety and over-excited to perform or see where your ball flight, especially on a new course when you can't gauge your distance.

So you tend to look up too quickly which will screw up your swing rhythm and might lift yourself up thus topping the ball.

Not sure if it is the same for you.

Just have to trust your swing and iron, follow through and relax. That solve my problem! Hopefully for you too!
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 7:55 am

Birdman wrote:
Ironstarz, you mentioned your shot distance is consistent. May I ask how is your dispersion (side to side)? How also do you practice? Just hit a ball, pull another over while still in your stance then hit another? Do you aim for a target with every ball? Do you practice your set up routine with every ball?

Only you have the answers to all these questions bro, hitting well on the range does not translate to the same on the course. Every golfer has experienced the same transition as you are at one time or another while taking up the game. You may have worked your swing at the range, but you didn't work, or prepare your mind, at the same time.

There is a lot of instruction available on how to practise productively so your swing transits well to the course. You just have to google it.

One of the main reasons of you are having problems is what I term "target anxiety". On the course, your focus is on the target (green or flag) whereas on the range, there is no such anxiety because you are there "just to hit balls" and practice your swing. It doesn't matter where your ball goes (left, right, or center), just as long it goes a certain distance. And if you hit one ball bad, it doesn't matter, since like a bro here said, there's always another. And that's the way most golfers practice at the range.

Plus the fact that the range bays subconsciously help you line up. Notice the dividers point straight down the range? And also the edge of the mat where your ball is teed up? Take that away on the course and the golfer has no idea how to aim cos there no more points of reference with the bay dividers and the edge of the mat.

Speaking of the mat, there is also the difference with mat and ground density. This has been well documented so I shall not go into it.

It's a very common thing for range warriors not to be able to hit the ball properly on the course. Like what DGman said, need more course time along with constructive practice, simple as that.

Thanks bro. I admit i am a person who hit and see the distance.The most of the time i do not take aim and alingment. Unless for chipping where by i always do my aiming. And surprising on the course, my chipping into the green is decent enough for my own standard.

I guess i have to hit more courses to get better.

P.S I've only been to the course 3 times so far Laughing
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 10:25 am

I was reviewing all the pics taken at the course yesterday and come to think of it i was having 101 type of swing. Anxiety became better of me and i started coming out with different pattern to swing. And this would be my 101th pattern of swing. There are many more!! For this shot i did not top it, instead i gave it a nasty nasty hook Laughing

Difference in performance 61669_10
Back to top Go down
jocheang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 1:12 pm

hey ironstarz..

just to add to the comments, one swing thought that you could have when taking your swing on the course is to make sure you keep looking at the ball until the ball is in the air. lots of times, we have the problem of being anxious to see where the ball is flying towards. i'm currently working on this, and because of this swing thought, it seems almost as if i've been staring at the ball, and then the divot that i've made before i look up, when in actual fact it's just a split second more to prevent topping the ball.

no need to worry too much about watching where the ball goes cos normally it'll be easy to see the ball in flight unless it's a sunny day and the sun's in the direction you are hitting. If that's the case, ask your buddies to look out for the ball for you.

also, on bad lies, think about placing the ball slightly back in your stance so that the club head hits the ball (and all of the ball) first before taking the divot.

lastly, another swing thought to take note is not to straighten your right leg on the backswing. straightening it would naturally increase your height, and if you don't correct it back in time, you'll swing a little higher than when you were first set-up.

don't think you'll have a prob with this since you're hitting fine on the range. probably just heed the frst swing thought about not looking up..

just my two cents worth! i've only been playing golf for 2-3 months but i've been studying it alot so here're some tips i've picked up that i've found useful..

all the best with the game!
Back to top Go down
jocheang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 1:17 pm

just looking at your photo, your right knee seems too straight, and your face is facing the back of the teebox. this has resulted in your clubhead dropping way below your left shoulder, giving yourself a complicated route for the club head to move through before striking the ball..

you could work on watching the ball, and keeping the knee bent. this would automatically shorten the swing (and this is not a bad thing because the modern swing, common among pros, is to have a much shorter backswing than before). this is especially for iron play (where the traditional teaching is to have the club parallel to the ground). A shorter backswing = less chance of making mistakes through having complicated downswing routes.

keep going!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 1:50 pm

ironstarz wrote:
I was reviewing all the pics taken at the course yesterday and come to think of it i was having 101 type of swing. Anxiety became better of me and i started coming out with different pattern to swing. And this would be my 101th pattern of swing. There are many more!! For this shot i did not top it, instead i gave it a nasty nasty hook Laughing

Ironstarz, compare your top of swing position with that of Padraig Hsrrington below. See where his left shoulder is compared to yours? Cannot see your face, which by the way, is pointed way right as indicated by the brim of your cap.

Difference in performance 15836_1280885660119_1169371831_30867653_4488241_n

Go to this section of GR to see more still shots of the pros swing to compare with yours.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/swing-sequence-and-videos-f15/
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 2:06 pm

i think you hook this shot may be the ball position... it looks like it is way left...

your right arm looks abit low... if you keep everything in place and just move you right arm higher, the club will be parallel

Do you use a very strong grip?
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 pm

ironstarz wrote:

Go and see a pro asap mate. Its a wonder you can see the ball at all from this backswing position, let alone try to make contact with any consistency. As mentioned it will be a very complicated route back to the ball....major club face issue as well. A good pro will be able to get you on the right track. Good luck
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
ironstarz wrote:

Go and see a pro asap mate. Its a wonder you can see the ball at all from this backswing position, let alone try to make contact with any consistency. As mentioned it will be a very complicated route back to the ball....major club face issue as well. A good pro will be able to get you on the right track. Good luck

Mate i will be seeing u v soon. In case u forgot , i drop u a sms before i went overseas.i spoke with u regarding 3 person for the 6 x 1 hr session. So u can expect what pattern i'm going to come out with when u see me Smile

Last edited by ironstarz on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Thank to all those who posted here. Your comments were valuable in one way or another.

P.S Thanks for the pic Birdman. I will need to work harder.Hopefully my swing can be tweaked and i will have a much decent pic to present Smile
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 pm

Ha ha. Got ya. That is a pattern I don't think I have seen yet. Shocked I look forward to the challenge. The after swing will definitely be less complicated. Beer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Difference in performance   Difference in performance I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Difference in performance
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic :: Golf Academy :: Tips & Tricks-
Jump to:  
Friends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf RepublicFriends of Golf Republic
Copyright © 2009 Golf Republic. All Rights Reserved.