Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to choose a putter

Go down 
+14
duffader
jimmychoo
asahi
DGman
weesern
Winston
golf_snowman
mizzy
watermyforrest
Duval_S
sob
BORN2GOLF
Birdman
navik
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

How to choose a putter Empty
PostSubject: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 2:05 pm

To all the GR gurus here, I need some advice on the choice of putter. I just started golf lessons a couple of months back and had a couple of lessons on putting. My current putter is a hand me down putter from my boss (Callaway BJ7 w/ 33 inch shaft). For some reason or another I’ve a biasness towards mallet style putters although I’ve never really tried one before (It just seems to instill better confidence). I also have a tendency to grip down low on the putter, almost touching the steel shaft, and was wondering if a shorter shaft might be better for me. I’m 1.68m.

I understand that fitting could be done on putters, and was wondering if it might be better to get fitted and get started with the “right equipment” and then put in the hours practicing with it, or should I wait till a later date when I clock in more hours in putting practice? My concern is that I might develop weird “quirks” and bring it over to the new putter and have to make major re-adjustments.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Navik, I'm the same height as you and also using a 33 inch putter, difference is, I grip right to the end of the handle. So you must be very bent over when you putt, ala Jack Nicklaus.

Best to get your fundamentals right first so you have a consistent stroke and setup before you decide on investing in a putter you intend to use for a long time. Then you can really choose a putter that suits your ingrained putting style and stroke.

JMHO.
Back to top Go down
BORN2GOLF
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 6:17 pm

choose the one you are most comfortable with,no right or wrong...
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 8:13 pm

whichever makes you most comfortable, putting is abt confidence if you as me.
Choose one that you feel comfortable with. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Putter......sigh....

thats a love hate relationship....most importantly, one must remember the vow..

so just like one chooses one's spouse...some choose becos of looks, some choose becos can marry up...(as in buy now and can sell higher price)...some buy becos it is reliable.....some buy becos that is the one that is easy to close deal....

so...to choose putter, I will recommend that you apply the same as how you approach your life partner...

Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Navik, you might want to check out Zen putter at BFG Bukit Merah or Orchid CC. The zen mallet comes with built-in training tools that is super useful for golfers of all level. Don't forget that It is one club in the bag that you will use the most (even average mid-handicapper would use it around 30 times per round of golf).
Give it a try and you will not regret it... Pls note that I am not the seller, neither do I earn commission from BFG.
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Putter......sigh....

thats a love hate relationship....most importantly, one must remember the vow..

so just like one chooses one's spouse...some choose becos of looks, some choose becos can marry up...(as in buy now and can sell higher price)...some buy becos it is reliable.....some buy becos that is the one that is easy to close deal....

so...to choose putter, I will recommend that you apply the same as how you approach your life partner...

bro, putter can keep changing right? What a Face

PS: and can have more than 1 also Basketball
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 11:10 pm

i have 2 putters....haha !!!

White Flag
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Haha, thanks for the advice guys...for golf and relationship Cool

Birdman: You're right that I'm bent over when putting, I'm not confident when I'm too upright seems a bit disconnected. But still trying out different "style" see which is better for me. Hence the thought of getting the "right equipment" and ruling out 1 variable aka "there's nothing wrong with the arrow, its the indian that needs more practice".

watermyforrest: The Zen putter seems interesting. Are you using one, mind pm me how much you got it for?
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:04 am

Try as many different brands / models as you can. It would help to narrow down the options.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:07 am

go try out blade and mallet and see which you prefer... you may never know unless you try...
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Think I'll try to borrow a mallet putter from my coach to try out this weekend when I go for my lessons.

I'm currently reading Phil Mickelson's short game book, and he mentioned that the point where the shaft enters the clubhead plays a bigger difference than the style of the putter, e.g. a center-shafted putter has no tendency to fan open and close during the stroke and the path is meant to be straight back and through. On the other hand, a heel-shafted putter will rotate freely because the clubhead tends to revolve around the axis and produces a curved arc.

My current putting style is to go straight back and through, but I'm using a heel-shafted putter. Maybe I should try to arc my stroke a bit to see if there's any difference.

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:05 am

Navik, do you know what is your natural putting stroke...

to find out...get someone to video you and putt with your eyes closed. in this exercise, do not form a target in your mind...just make a nice and smooth putting stroke and putt to nowhere.

once you have done so, you will find out what is your natural putting stroke? there are ways to choose the right putter but its not a fixed formula. Putting is hand eye coordination and a lot of getting the right MOI to suit the individual. its not right to say that because you have a straight back and straight through, a centre shaft mallet will work for you. you can use a blade as long as your set up is constant and you find the impact zone that squares up at the point of contact.

i am no fan of Phil putting especially those in the 3 to 5 foot range. also a golfer should not think about is whether the putter in his hands is the right or wrong choice.

i have a gentleman in my shop who claims to have suffered the yips for 7 years. he came in with 2 putters and ask me which suits him better. he hated the double neck odyssey he had but cannot bear to part with it as it was a gift.

after about half an hour of putting exercises, his stroke was smooth and he was holing short and long putts with the putter he wants to give up. the person waited almost a year to progress from my first encounter with me and he left smiling cheek to cheek with his odyssey.

there are 3 things in making a good putt.

1. putting skills.
2. mental state.
3. the art of reading lines.

for this gentleman, he left with the first 2 and he was surprised that he did not have to change gripping position, change putter or posture. his problem was point 2 and i gave him a routine and mind set change to make more putts, that's all.

it sounds unbelievable.... i am sure he is not the only one out there who needs a different point of view. to strengthen my case. i was playing golf with a friend on sunday. he just cannot hole a 5 footer. problem was solved in under 10 minutes. how?

putt with the eyes closed...he was stroking better and made some crucial putts at the last few holes in our game....still with the eyes closed.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 7:09 am

Boss, you forgot to mention process. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 8:29 am

no i never elaborate...its part of getting into a zone which is point 2.

DGman
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Boss, u never say close the eyes and imagine what leh... Razz

For me, I closed my eyes and imagine xmm....This help in setting my mind in a very relax mode...bits of excitement and most importantly "song" feeling.... ROFL
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:17 pm

jimmychoo wrote:
Boss, u never say close the eyes and imagine what leh... Razz

For me, I closed my eyes and imagine xmm....This help in setting my mind in a very relax mode...bits of excitement and most importantly "song" feeling.... ROFL

no wonder u putt like tiger before he got caught!!! hehehe
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 4:30 pm

DGman wrote:
to strengthen my case. i was playing golf with a friend on sunday. he just cannot hole a 5 footer. problem was solved in under 10 minutes. how?

putt with the eyes closed...he was stroking better and made some crucial putts at the last few holes in our game....still with the eyes closed.

DGman
This hacker friend of yours has no reason to be on the golf course lah.. next time I see him,, I'll ask him to tee off with his eyes closed also! albino
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
DGman wrote:
to strengthen my case. i was playing golf with a friend on sunday. he just cannot hole a 5 footer. problem was solved in under 10 minutes. how?

DGman
This hacker friend of yours has no reason to be on the golf course lah.. next time I see him,, I'll ask him to tee off with his eyes closed also! albino

ROFL u mean the man in the mirror
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:33 pm

DGman, thanks for the comprehensive advice. I'll try to find out my natural putting stroke and work on point 1 & 2 first before exploring further options.

Cheers

Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Yup......you can't go wrong with DGman's advice.

May I offer further options in the form of Zen ZIM putter? cheers
Back to top Go down
navik
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 9:43 pm

bro u are evil Evil or Very Mad

but then again, options are meant to be explored eventually Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 9:56 am

What is the diff between a mid Slant and a Plumber's neck putter ? I mean any diff in the set up, stroke ?

For a mallet,usually it is more for straight back straight thru type of putting stroke, but still for the non mallet type, there are a few types of necks.

Also Mid slant is suppose to be easier and PN is suppose to be more difficult to aim but many good players are using PN style. Any reasons?

Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 10:44 am

[quote: ="4dtoto"]What is the diff between a mid Slant and a Plumber's neck putter ? I mean any diff in the set up, stroke ?

For a mallet,usually it is more for straight back straight thru type of putting stroke, but still for the non mallet type, there are a few types of necks.

Also Mid slant is suppose to be easier and PN is suppose to be more difficult to aim but many good players are using PN style. Any reasons?

[/quote: ]

Bro, if u ask me, its still leads to your visual on setup. I do not think there is a fixed way to setup if you are using a certain kind of putter. And also to the way you stroke the putter. At least, that is how i see it for putters. I maybe wrong. I use half mallet but still have a slightly fanning stroke.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Mr Middle Eastern, you are absolutely right.

type of putter is design with different offsets. but with the right ball position, you can have the same unique stroke and still putt with different type of putters and achieve the same desired results.

DGman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to choose a putter   How to choose a putter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to choose a putter
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next