Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golfing in the Haze

Go down 
+13
eiji
blee67
abeljeremy
Uncle Lau
4dtoto
shotah
mUAr_cHEe
nutty88
tronos
mervyntan
22tang
Duval_S
Technospaz
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Golfing in the Haze Empty
PostSubject: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Folks,

While driving to work today, I noticed how bad the haze was. Yes, we've been facing the haze for a while but it was quite awful today. I was on Nicoll Highway and could barely make out the Suntec buildings in the distance. This was of concern to me since I'll be playing in JB over the weekend (where the haze is supposed to be just as bad, if not worse) and also to our fellow golfers who will be playing at MBGC on Saturday. So, I wanted to share some suggestions* for those who expect to head out into the open while the haze continues to linger.

1. Heat
With the haze in the air, this creates a suffocating blanket of smog which prevents the heat from dissipating. As a result, the heat levels will rise as will humidity. While there may not be a lot of sunlight, it will be hot. I recommend drinking a lot of fluids and not over-exerting yourselves. If you feel out of breath, it's because the smog makes it difficult to breathe. Calm yourself down in the buggy. Stop for a while and resume when you feel more comfortable.

2. Skincare
Just because there's less sun (as it's hidden behind the smog), it does not mean that there's no sun. The sun rays continue to penetrate and as such, ample skincare is recommended. Sunblock lotion, wearing Skins (or similar material) and seeking shade whenever possible helps. Don't be a hero and march down each fairway thinking that the "shade" means reprieve from the sun's harmful rays.

3. Eyes
The particles in the air will cause irritation for your eyes. You'll notice that your eyes will start smarting and become more watery. I recommend using eye drops to help bring comfort. Try and avoid rubbing your eyes especially if you use a towel which is dirty. I've seen some golfers use the same towel to wipe their eyes as they do to wipe their clubs. Don't end up with an eye infection. Take care of your eyes.

4. Throat
Like your eyes, your throat may also suffer if it's too hot and dry. Make sure you consume lots of liquids. Coffee, tea etc should be avoided. Stick to water Smile

5. Bacteria/germs etc
I was told that it is best to have a bottle of disinfectant with you (the small ones from Watsons don't cost much and can be very helpful) especially if you constantly wipe your sweat away from your face etc with your bare hands. The disinfectant is meant to cleanse your hands from bacteria/germs. Where do the bacteria/germs come from? Check out balls which end up in plugged lies, in the rough, in the water etc. You'll be surprised to see how much dirt they pick up. (Yes, this applies whether or not there's haze in the air.)

*Caveat
I'm not a doctor or a medical practitioner of any sort. I'm just sharing some tips which I've picked up from other golfers, from some reading and I suppose some common sense. Follow or don't follow, that's your choice Smile

If anyone else has suggestions for golfing in the haze, please speak up.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks Sir..will remember this for the coming weekend.

PS: Will try to play faster so that minimize the hours out on the course....by this I mean I will run faster from shot to shot and not by cutting down on my score...sighhhh
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Thanks for your info ...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Thanks Sir..will remember this for the coming weekend.

PS: Will try to play faster so that minimize the hours out on the course....by this I mean I will run faster from shot to shot and not by cutting down on my score...sighhhh

Don't play too fast, ok? I need time to look for my ball in the jungle Sad
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 2:15 pm

thanks technospaz.. i thought it was all the alcohol that was making the horizon blurry... now at least i know i'm not alone..

should start smoking more ciggies in that case... at least that way, the air passes through a filter first. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 pm

important question.....how is the haze affecting the ball flight Wink

or real question. Will you start playing colour balls?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 3:25 pm

mervyntan wrote:
should start smoking more ciggies in that case... at least that way, the air passes through a filter first. Very Happy

MT, great idea man. Now why haven't I thought of that before? Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
22tang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
22tang

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Just step of the office, Kallang area ... the haze quite bad!!!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 3:36 pm

i lost distance today! at least 1 club length!!
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 3:59 pm

I dunno what will happen tomorrow man but taking on 36 holes in one day at such a weather will be a challenge.
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 7:10 pm

shotah wrote:
I dunno what will happen tomorrow man but taking on 36 holes in one day at such a weather will be a challenge.

Cover yourself up like Ninja like that lah..protect you from the sunlight and also have a mask to filiter the air..hahahaha, Best if you can carry the clubs on your back, like carrying a sword..hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks for sharing bro !

Beer
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:11 am

One more to add..Must wear white like GI Joe.. Not so hot
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 9:52 am

Saw the thick smog in the air today and figured that this thread was worth reviving.
Back to top Go down
abeljeremy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 am

Wear mask
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:10 am

I miss shotah and meryvntan
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 am

Duval_S wrote:

you miss them in the haze?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:14 am

Duval_S wrote:

Shotah is here. Mervyntan has decided to give up golf. He's now a full-time party animal and explores courses of a different nature Wink
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:18 am

who is shotah?

mervyntan is into voyeurism now
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 am

Technospaz wrote:
Mervyntan has decided to give up golf. He's now a full-time party animal and explores courses of a different nature Wink

Not true.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 am

so when is Redbull allowed to post? its been a while and i miss the one liner direct to the heart of the matter........

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:21 am

eiji wrote:
who is shotah?

mervyntan is into voyeurism now

Shotah, Redbull and Redbull2 was banned on this forum.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:21 am

TS, thank you for such useful info! Very Happy

Thanks rest of guy who bring this thread up, i miss it earlier. Razz
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:25 am

eiji wrote:
who is shotah?
My arch nemisis.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 am

eiji wrote:
who is shotah?

At one point, shotah wanted to kill me. I had to hide pay muar_chee protection money so that he would protect me from shotah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golfing in the Haze   Golfing in the Haze I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golfing in the Haze
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next