Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dave Pelz Short Game System

Go down 
+12
Ssquirrel
nientsu
S70B
G_Man
weesern
DGman
mervyntan
kinkipet
slinger
ultraman
SC
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SC
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
SC

Dave Pelz Short Game System Empty
PostSubject: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:45 pm

I would like to share with you on Dave Pelz systematic approach to improve one’s short game.

Not long ago, I chanced upon his book “My Short Game Bible”, a two inch hardcover “serious” book about how one can improve his/her short game. Managed to read from cover to cover and was convinced that it would work for me.

Gist of Dave Pelz method is:
• Have 4 wedges in bag to cover 100 yrds in (PW, SW, LW-60* and XW-64*)
• Practice 3 types of “finesse” swing
• Apply the 3 swings to all wedges, practice and calibrate distances to nearest yard
• Mark the 3 distances on all wedges (to the nearest yard), cover total of 12 distances
• When within 100 yrds to the pin, gauge distance and use suitable swing/wedge

Had gathered 4 wedges since and spent quite a few sessions practicing and calibrating distances in the driving ranges, also invested on a Range Finder (Nikon 550) to facilitate accurate calibration to the nearest yard, also on course ranging.

So far have implemented the method to 3 rounds of golf, must say that it adds a new dimension to my game and I have more confidence 100 yards in, enjoying the game more. I reckon cutting 5 strokes off ones handicap is a realistic target, +/- depending on one’s state of short game at the point of time.
Back to top Go down
ultraman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ultraman

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Already owned 4 wedges PW, AW, SW & LW, maybe I should throw 3 away and fix another 3 putters for various putting distances drunken

Sorry just kidding (not making fun of your thread), just that my putting sucks big time Embarassed

Does the system talks about putting?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

dave perlz has 2 books: short game bible and putting bible

but the reading a bit dry....... like school text book
Back to top Go down
kinkipet
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:56 pm

I have e same book. And yes it did help but needs lots of practice. After abt 6 months of practice, I seldom see 9 for e first letter in my score now. Btw I did not adopt everything he taught in that book. I believe in picking what's practical and suitable for me.

Ultraman..Dave Pelz has another book on putting only..think about 1" thick rabbit Before u buy or read that book, check if e straight back straight thru is suitable for your putting style.

Dave Pelz's books maybe a bit dry for some, he used a lot of statistics to substantiate his claim and teaching.

For putting, I highly recommend "THE ART OF PUTTING" by Stan Utley. This book is not so dry and easily can be comprehended by some1 poor in English..like me... Embarassed

Hmm..I thought the den is a condusive place to horne yr putting skill? My jaw dropped last time when Mr. Ng demoed his putting skill to me affraid
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 pm

ultraman wrote:
Already owned 4 wedges PW, AW, SW & LW, maybe I should throw 3 away and fix another 3 putters for various putting distances drunken

Sorry just kidding (not making fun of your thread), just that my putting sucks big time Embarassed

Does the system talks about putting?

u want the putting book i can pass to u the next time i go to BFG... i read it from cover to cover.. alot of adverts for his putting training products.. though there are some useful tips in there.. but he advocates a different type of putting stroke that im used to..
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:26 pm

yeah we have the DP putting arch in the store and i also stop anyone from using it if you do not want to screw up your putting.

like putting, the short game requires lot of supervised practice and if you practice 2 to 3 hours everyday for 3 days straight, you will be surprise how fast you can improve.

it cheaper than finding the perfect wedge or the perfect putter.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:54 pm

agree on the practise part... got problem with short game, go back to practise. the next game will be better
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:57 am

for short game practise actually the main focus is on the contact and crispness of the strike, as well as the carry distance.
alot of times on the range, we think we hit the ball well, but actually the rubber mat bounces the clubhead to allow it to hit the ball. on the green, this actually leads to alot of fat shots.. and all kinds of shots, which then makes us blame ourselves..

i think this fact has been repeated numerous times, but i am just merely re-emphasising it again for the benefit of all readers here.
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 am

UltraMan, if you want I can lend you the books.

But this supervised short game thing is something I have been looking at doing for ages. right now, with the drives, I have to leave myself a 100 to 120 m shot to the greens. anything closer and I am dead; having to chip, lob or pitch a shot in. From 100 to 120m, at least I still got a full PW to 9i...

If I do get with in 100m to the pin, it better be a 20 to 30 meter shot, then I can pitch a land and roll shot with a 8, 9 or PW... Wedge game, can forget about it....

Hrmm, time to find a coach again for the short game....
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:03 am

Hit ur drives further on Sat G_Man...can't wait to see how you do inside 100m. Razz
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:16 am

G_Man: Teach me how to hit you drive so far leh? I am a classic example of a Gym Rat that is not able to drive far Sad
Back to top Go down
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:38 am

I stand corrected.

But I think Pelz is an advocate of 'straight back, straight through" type of putting, opposite to Stan Utley.

I wish to know which way is more effective Smile

I hope some englihtened souls here can share some views.

Have a nice day all. Smile
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:56 am

nientsu wrote:
G_Man: Teach me how to hit you drive so far leh? I am a classic example of a Gym Rat that is not able to drive far Sad

Mental thought: Break the Shaft, Break the Shaft!!!

I am not far la... There are a few players here to put me to shame man. And far more accurate to boot!
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 am

its almost impossible to execute a straight back and straight through release. the guy who gave me the DP putting arch was putting so badly that he changed his putting style to the gate arch. his putting stats have improved greatly and he is playing in the singles again.

thats why i forbid anyone from using the putting arch. unless you can do a lotus spread putting grip. sounds like a liftoff from chinese kung fu manual but its true.

DGman
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:16 am

S70B wrote:
Hit ur drives further on Sat G_Man...can't wait to see how you do inside 100m. Razz

I will usually be doing well... Its the golf balls' flight that sucks.

Bro s70b, you are on a league of your own la.
Good Long Game, Good Short Game, Good Putting, Good Mental Game. If only you werent so bloody ugly. You could turn pro!!!
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:17 am

Boss..

Pls enlighten me......

I don understand why you are forbiding anyone to use the putting arch, esp when putting arch teaches you not to execute a straight back, straight through release. BTW wats a gate arch??
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:19 am

G_Man wrote:
S70B wrote:

I will usually be doing well... Its the golf balls' flight that sucks.

Bro s70b, you are on a league of your own la.
Good Long Game, Good Short Game, Good Putting, Good Mental Game. If only you werent so bloody ugly. You could turn pro!!!

Hahahahaa

You can still turn pro.......and be golfing model for Giordano.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:57 am

G_Man wrote:

Wah.. sounds like a good tip; I'm going to try this to see if my drives can break my 180m barrier...
Btw, is it a Smooth break-the-shaft swing? or more like a violent swipe..?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:02 am

malcolm.... look at ETW putting arch...its a gate arch...take it inside, open the gate and close the gate. Phil Mickelson is Dave Pelz walking advertisement and uses the SB-ST putting stroke, hence the napa style putter which complements the type of puttting stroke.

DGman
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:10 am

Ssquirrel wrote:
G_Man wrote:

Wah.. sounds like a good tip; I'm going to try this to see if my drives can break my 180m barrier...
Btw, is it a Smooth break-the-shaft swing? or more like a violent swipe..?
Violent swipe with a smooth finish just for cosmetic reasons.

But seriously, my swing thoughts are "Finish High, or accelerate! or Sabei Sabei! or more recently, Slow down la you CCB, KNN F*&$king Idiot!!!"
depending on how it is hitting that day...
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:14 pm

slinger wrote:
dave perlz has 2 books: short game bible and putting bible

but the reading a bit dry....... like school text book

What do you expect from a nasa engineer? Smile
Back to top Go down
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 pm

DGman wrote:
its almost impossible to execute a straight back and straight through release. the guy who gave me the DP putting arch was putting so badly that he changed his putting style to the gate arch. his putting stats have improved greatly and he is playing in the singles again.

thats why i forbid anyone from using the putting arch. unless you can do a lotus spread putting grip. sounds like a liftoff from chinese kung fu manual but its true.

DGman

So for arch putting, the putter has to be toe-balanced?
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:38 pm

F$*k!!!! Stupid G_man still ask me to practise on the DP putting arch!!! arrrggghhh!!

Boss, can you throw that DP putting arch away?
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 2:41 pm

siaw8 wrote:
F$*k!!!! Stupid G_man still ask me to practise on the DP putting arch!!! arrrggghhh!!

Boss, can you throw that DP putting arch away?

Bro, I asked you to use the mirror there to see whether your eye are over the ball la...

But its a great device. It has made me a nice amt of money.... off you.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 3:27 pm

DGman wrote:
malcolm.... look at ETW putting arch...its a gate arch...take it inside, open the gate and close the gate. Phil Mickelson is Dave Pelz walking advertisement and uses the SB-ST putting stroke, hence the napa style putter which complements the type of puttting stroke.

DGman

Pelz has some excellent research and statistics in his books however the SB - ST putting stroke is not what I would recommend. The putting stroke is just a mini golf swing with a different club. You are trying to make the ball go in a straight line, just as you are with a driver. You dont swing a driver SB- ST so I don not believe your putter should do that either. If you try this method of SB- ST you will find that the face of the putter will close and deloft on the backswing, then it must re open and reloft to get back to impact, sounds very complicated. Tiger is on the money, the arc with face staying square to the arc is what I prefer to see. Stan Utley teaches this method. Last I heard Pelz was getting away from the SB-ST and more into arc. Does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dave Pelz Short Game System   Dave Pelz Short Game System I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dave Pelz Short Game System
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next