Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google

Go down 
+6
daveaha
Ken_
setzer
Technospaz
TSL
sunny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google Empty
PostSubject: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 1:42 am

As everyone know, we are relatively new and thus not very visible on google. Most people searching for singapore golf or singapore golf forum would end up seeing Toonshouse or other defunct forums on golf and few people know that an active community like us exists.

There's a few things that we can do to make google rank us higher. If you can help, here's what you can do.

1. Search for Singapore Golf, Singapore Golf forum, Golf Forum etc
Click next until you see Golf Republic (do not click on those advertisement pages that links here but rather on our forum direct link). Click and come to the forum from there. This makes the search engine recognise that the search is relevant and will rank higher.

2. Links to the forum. If you blog, have an website or any other online presence, link to us. This would make the search engine rank us higher too. I found out that someone actually link to us from car forums, rolex club?(must be UL or his rich gang) etc. This would help to increase the ranking as well.

Hopefully with your help, we can make Golf Republic more visible so that we would not get "OMG! Finally" type of posts again from ppl who had been struggled so hard to find us.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
TSL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
TSL

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 2:02 am

sunny wrote:
As everyone know, we are relatively new and thus not very visible on google. Most people searching for singapore golf or singapore golf forum would end up seeing Toonshouse or other defunct forums on golf and few people know that an active community like us exists.

There's a few things that we can do to make google rank us higher. If you can help, here's what you can do.

Click next until you see Golf Republic (do not click on those advertisement pages that links here but rather on our forum direct link). Click and come to the forum from there. This makes the search engine recognise that the search is relevant and will rank higher.

2. Links to the forum. If you blog, have an website or any other online presence, link to us. This would make the search engine rank us higher too. I found out that someone actually link to us from car forums, rolex club?(must be UL or his rich gang) etc. This would help to increase the ranking as well.

Hopefully with your help, we can make Golf Republic more visible so that we would not get "OMG! Finally" type of posts again from ppl who had been struggled so hard to find us.

Hi sunny,

Just followed your directions and did the Google search. Have clicked on the link for Golf Republic ( actually found it on Page 2 of Google) when I searched for "Golf Forum Singapore". Meanwhile, will get some of my friends to help out too. Hope GR gets better rankings soon! cheers
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 6:08 am

You mean my endless incessant posting isn't enough? Razz

Seriously, I'll do as you had suggested Smile
Back to top Go down
setzer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
setzer

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 8:24 am

sunny wrote:

Hey Sunny, probably it'll be easier if we were to enroll in advertising programs from Google and/or Yahoo. Else, the next best thing would be to have enough visits/clicks so that it'll appear at the top when you do a search. And by the way, whoever registered the domain, golfrepublic.org, might also want to check on the domain management page (if there's any) for search engines publishing from keywords etc which might help.

Just my 2 cents~ cheers
Back to top Go down
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 12:06 pm

Is that how google search works? I tried "Singapore Golf Forums" and found the link to Golf Republic only on the 3rd page. Toonshouse is the 2nd link on the first page though...
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Is toonhouse totally dead ? There's no way to create announcement in there to this forum ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 7:49 pm

the only way i found out abt this forum is when i searched on google on "toonshouse offline" and i went onto their twitter and it linked it to GR. not something most people might bother to do.. haha
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Wa kaoz... You know what?

I did a search on Impact Stik and this forum website came up on the 2nd link! But the link was to the 3rd page of the review with Shotah's comment:

"Well, maybe got luckly lah, plus i gave the girl some tips that allow her to hit the ball better. She was really happy but I think her Boyfriend not very...."

Think this forum is making waves on the Google search engine already!
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 9:10 pm

setzer wrote:
sunny wrote:

Hey Sunny, probably it'll be easier if we were to enroll in advertising programs from Google and/or Yahoo. Else, the next best thing would be to have enough visits/clicks so that it'll appear at the top when you do a search. And by the way, whoever registered the domain, golfrepublic.org, might also want to check on the domain management page (if there's any) for search engines publishing from keywords etc which might help.

Just my 2 cents~ cheers

Hi setzer,

the key is to increase organic search ranking, enrolling in those advertisement is costly. Golf keyword cost about $2 per click. Not to mention other keywords.

We are non profit and we have already absorb the cost of getting our domain, making the site free from advertisements etc. There is no point in spending another few thousands dollars to get paid traffic. That would be rather meaningless and we do not want to waste such unnecessary money.

And by the way, paid search do not increase organic search ranking. By the time your budget is over, it is gone back to the bottom.

The only way is through search engine optimisation and I have already done up all the necessary like meta tags, titles, descriptions etc.

The only other ways to increase ranking would be through the above 2 means.
Back to top Go down
setzer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
setzer

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 10:16 pm

Hi Sunny,

Understood. Not sure if you've read the following before:

1. Making sure the search engines index your website
2. Getting your website to show up in the top ten results

Getting the search engines to find your website.

If your site has links pointing TO it from other webpages already in the indices, and there is no 'robots.txt' file preventing it from being indexed, it will (eventually) get indexed. With many of the search engines, you can "submit your URL" to try to speed up the process. Here are some links for 5 of the top search engines:

* http://www.google.com/addurl.html
* http://add-url.altavista.com/cgi-bin/newurl?
* http://www.excite.com/info/add_url_form/
* http://hotbot.lycos.com/addurl.asp
* http://docs.yahoo.com/info/suggest/

Getting your site to rank highly

This varies from search engine to search engine. Basically, the more text you include, the better. Make sure that ALL of the words that people might use in searching for a page are included somewhere. You can include Meta Tags to specifically denote keywords, but not all search engines will pay attention to those (as they've been widely abused in the past). Some search engines weigh terms more heavily if they're in TITLE or header tags.

Some search engines, notably Google, rank pages based on algorithms that calculate how often they're cited -- there is no magic bullet to getting your page at the top of a Google search, other than writing the best damned webpage out there, and getting everyone to link to it. That's probably why Google is, currently, the most useful of the search engines.

More info can be found in http://my.brandeis.edu/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00006k

In any case, I'm not well versed in website building etc so you'll have to check them out individually. Do also remember to check out google's webmaster tools ( http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/ ) as well as their FAQ/help ( http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35769 )

Hope it helps, Cheers!
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi setzer,

The website is already submitted which is why it is indexed. SEO is already done but limited as this is a forum and not a website which I can customise.

I do this for a living actually. Am in a digital advertising/marketing agency Smile

Basically, if ppl search and click on it, it is relevant. If someone links to it means it is good. Which is why I am suggesting users to start search and clicking in and browse the web from there. We have 200 plus hits per day. If everyone do that our ranking would increase within days.
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks setzer~

missmoon has submitted to google, fastsubmit and dmoz a while ago..
i will look into the other search engines that you have mentioned.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Hahaha! From today, I'll start from the google search page to get to this forum... will that help a bit? Razz
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 10:32 pm

i have submitted the site to google, yahoo(altavista), MSN(Bing), AOL. I think that should be sufficient.

I guess right now we just need ppl to search for our forum in google, yahoo and click or link to us.

That would increase our ranking
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Ken_ wrote:
Hahaha! From today, I'll start from the google search page to get to this forum... will that help a bit? Razz

yes... start using various key words that most ppl use to find us such as singapore golf, singapore golfers. singapore golf forum, singapore golf forums, singapore golfing, singapore golfing forums etc etc...

think about how fellow 'lost' friends would try to locate us
Back to top Go down
ironfist
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
ironfist

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 10:59 pm

sunny wrote:

OMG that was me! hahaha i've bookmarked the google page with the GR link and i'll be accessing this forum from there now. that'll work too right?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 11:21 pm

yes of cos it would help Smile
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 12:23 am

how about repeatedly twittering golfrepublic?
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 am

mervyntan wrote:
how about repeatedly twittering golfrepublic?

twitter can work too.. in another way which is to drive more traffic to the GR site.
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:54 am

in addition, when u search for GR, there is a little button there which u can click to PROMOTE the website to the first page.. does that help? i have already clicked it..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google   Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Wanted - Making Golf Republic More Visible on Google
Page 1 of 1