Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

how to maximise distance off the Driver ?

Go down 
+26
DGman
S70B
Khorkar
samT
shotah
ultraman
rocky
tronos
jaketang
Dstruc
weesern
Duval_S
golf_snowman
Right_sided_coach
benhogan
mUAr_cHEe
BT
freedrop
Roystonnn
Lamts18
G_Man
siaw8
watermyforrest
Technospaz
Gray
digdug888
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
Pilates is a great way to train for golf, focusing on the core muscles.

I have actually thought about it.

then again it is a commitment thing for me. work gotten really busy and i do not have the time to really peg it down and go for classes at fixed times of the weeks.

agreed with u totally on technique. that is the most core thing to do. but if u want it simple and brainless way to hit further, i think hitting the gym regularly might be easier than hitting 200 balls regularly. then again, i know many will not agree with me. different strokes for different folks.

TS, one thing to note. A contact that is an inch away from the sweet spot can mean a 5 to 10% loss of distance or something like that.

so again i contradict myself, getting good contact and good weight transfer is the easiest way to hit further.

really it is how u look at it.

what are we talking about here? Razz
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
siaw8 wrote:
Question... why do you want to hit soooo long?

Bro S8, i also want to ask you this question..... Laughing

I never wanted to drive long... it just come naturally Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:35 pm

Actually... straight is more important than long... i rather sacrifice 10m to drive straighter.. Of coz, if i can drive as long and straight as G_man, i wun mind lah..
Back to top Go down
Dstruc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Dstruc

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Gym is important for any sport. I'll go back to hit the weights. That said, I still believe that being strong but not having a good swing doesn't mean much. To me, it lies in the swing. Strength helps, of course. But a good, solid and consistent swing will help drive the ball further.

Besides, with a consistent swing, you can exert more strength knowing that your shot is likely to be more accurate.

True Dat!
check this workout out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obay-7QqFRc
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:39 pm

siaw8 wrote:
Actually... straight is more important than long... i rather sacrifice 10m to drive straighter.. Of coz, if i can drive as long and straight as G_man, i wun mind lah..

Yeah man....totally agree with Siaw8.

My ball travel distance is pretty far....just that after around 150m, the more the ball travel, the further it is from the green.....NB$^$%%$#^%$
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 5:05 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
i said it once.

i said it twice.

i said it many times. but i will say it again;

gym, gym and more gym.

in addition, you have to take note of weight transfer, contacting of sweet spot and confidence.

Muscles are important but hitting sweet spot is more important than hitting hard. Those small Korean and Japanese women in LPGA are not muscular, but their average distance off the tees are 260-270 yds, consistently. You can't explain that with muscles.

Ai Miyazato is not a big girl, Choi Na Yeon is not a big girl, and many more. Tseng Yani looks stout but she is not as muscular as some average Singaporean men, but she can it close to 300 yds, on the par 4 greens. Micheel Wie can hardly be considered as muscular, even though she has the height.

Hitting it hard with an outside in swing also will not get you much "fairway" distance. so basic swing technique must be there first.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 5:11 pm

i believe most golfers swing with their arms... thus tht can only get us tht far...and not so consistent... gym helps but only tht much....

i feel swinging with the body is the key to distance but i know nuts abt it.. if not, how do those ladies (pro) or even those small in size guys can drive a mile?
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 6:17 pm

look at pro golfers's forearms (men and women) .......men drive farther then women cause they train their right forearm since young Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 6:59 pm

tronos wrote:
look at pro golfers's forearms (men and women) .......men drive farther then women cause they train their right forearm since young Very Happy

Stretcher
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:22 pm

tronos wrote:

Women do train as well ma...
Probably the main difference is that women train their forearm more when they are older.. whereas, men train lesser when they get older..

So I guess conclusion is, Men are stronger than women when young but women get stronger when times passes.. ROFL
Back to top Go down
ultraman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ultraman

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:26 pm

Mm.....now we know that we have to start training from young......to drive far of course Shocked

From the 'technical point' of view:

ball speed + optimum launch = distance

(swing speed + good smash factor) + optimum launch = distance

lower swing speed + higher launch + higher spin = distance

higher swing speed + higher launch + lower spin = distance

sounds confusing?
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:30 pm

ultraman wrote:
Mm.....now we know that we have to start training from young......to drive far of course Shocked

From the 'technical point' of view:

ball speed + optimum launch = distance

(swing speed + good smash factor) + optimum launch = distance

lower swing speed + higher launch + higher spin = distance

higher swing speed + higher launch + lower spin = distance

sounds confusing?

No,, at least all equal to : distance Smile
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:36 pm

Frankly speaking, having the right technique is freaking important to drive long... like wat was mentioned, alot of the japanese and korean players are not big in size but yet they drive as far or even further than alot of guys... But pls, dun misunderstand that i am against going to gym becoz i am not.. what i am trying to say is, focus on your technique... and not brute strength... u can talk to lostsoul about this if you dun believe:)
Back to top Go down
ultraman
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ultraman

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:54 pm

digdug888 wrote:
for the long hitters out there,

can anyone share their 'secret' to wacking the ball to > 220m ?

Q1: when hitting driver , should we hit it on the downswing / upswing /level ? 'angle of attack' preferably on the up swing (for drivers only) to optimise the launch angle but then again some golfers hit on level / down swing to optimise their launch angle based on driver loft, ball spin rate & ball speed

Q2: % of left / right hand to control club on the start of downswing - might be too difficult to control left hand X% and right hand Y%, thought it will be easier to maintain the 'triangle' for the arms at address & impact

some tips for the amatuer player out there .. THANKS ! - just my few cents, hope it works for u Smile

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:30 pm

siaw8 wrote:
what i am trying to say is, focus on your technique... and not brute strength... u can talk to lostsoul about this if you dun believe:)

Bro, I sense the Pot calling the kettle black. Smile
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 11:34 pm

siaw8 wrote:
what i am trying to say is, focus on your technique... and not brute strength... u can talk to lostsoul about this if you dun believe:)

Bro, honestly i think LS has better potential lei. Most of us dun even dare to rip it. As long as he slows down his swing, and with his putting, we may have to play even with him very soon.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 am

to maximise ur distance off driver.... does that include direction??

I think most of us can swing out of our sock hit contact with the ball. if we do not take into account which direction the ball goes...

if direction is taken into consideration, then the fastest you can swing and get the ball to go straight, you are already maximising your distance.

if the techique is correct to get the ball to go far and straight, then strength training will come into play. but dun expect to double the distance.

From one of TW's clinic, he talk about swinging as fast as you can and able to keep you balance on the finish. and most times the tour pro swing at only abt 80% of the max. I believe they only swing at 80% of their max is becoz the ball is more under control than to swing at 100%.

pls correct me if i'm wrong.... a beginner here tat can only drive 181m...
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:17 am

S70B,

Why not share with us how u hit it soooooooo long?? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:20 am

I agree with you... many of my friends who are single h'cap players here advocate swinging within yourself to hold for a balance finish rather than rip it drive every-time... its ok not being able to drive 250 to 280m as long as you're on the fairway even if it a 181m drive... No one is afraid of long hitters but only of those with a super sharp short game... sorry for my 2 cents... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:22 am

weesern wrote:
S70B,

He practically grew up in a golf course... his dad sent to to the golf course to stay out of trouble.. Laughing
but he is now giving some of us here 'trouble' with his super A game... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 am

Lamts18 wrote:
I agree with you... many of my friends who are single h'cap players here advocate swinging within yourself to hold for a balance finish rather than rip it drive every-time... its ok not being able to drive 250 to 280m as long as you're on the fairway even if it a 181m drive... No one is afraid of long hitters but only of those with a super sharp short game... sorry for my 2 cents... Very Happy

totally agree!!!

if you have a short game to die for, why bother Embarassed

i think I OT again.... sorry
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 1:29 am

Come to think of it, all of us should follow SS's game... hit 180m and still achieve 77.

With 77, sure make money wan!
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 2:00 am

weesern wrote:
S70B,

WS,

I dun hit it long. Avg 220-240M carry only. Thats enuff for me to scrap ard a typical golf course.

A few lessons I learnt in golf:

- No matter how long you think you are, there is always someone longer. I learnt that after being constantly outdriven by a 50+yr old over an 18 hole round in Australia (who incidently shot a 3 under 69) and also a 14yr old playing in a practice round at the Callaway World Junior in US (who shot -4 over nine holes at Riverwalk). Why stress yourself? Enjoy the game.

- Trying all your might to train and hit the long ball will take a toll on the short game. I mentioned it before: my money clubs have the most wear on them.

- I find more excitement hitting my iron shots close and holing putts for birdies.

- Watching Tiger and Bubba rip drives last year made me realise the enormous gap in talent (or lack of from me) so I wun bother to push myself to try and hit those 300yders anymore.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 am

weesern wrote:
S70B,

he been playing golf since he was a kid, and now he is a grown man. u say leh? hahahaha.

besides he do not look like he puts efforts or strength in his drives. he is our sillyporean of Big Easy.

African Ang Moh Beng with Cheena Stomach driving a machiam-zhng boy racer car singing.. 'lekuasimi.... your car win me but my car still more swee...'
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 10:04 am

MC....

Le Kua Si mi?

Buay Song ah?!!!!!??!!!

Lai la!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to maximise distance off the Driver ?   how to maximise distance off the Driver ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to maximise distance off the Driver ?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next