Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which pros have you seen?

Go down 
+3
G_Man
shorthitter
The Golfing Machine
7 posters
AuthorMessage
The Golfing Machine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Which pros have you seen? Empty
PostSubject: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:13 am

Another subject that I thought would be interesting...
How about naming some of the instructors you have worked with?
I will start the ball rolling...

1) Chuck Evans - Golf Magazine Top 100 Teachers, former coach of Grant Waite
2) Ben Doyle - coach to Steve Elkington, Bobby Clampett and boyhood coach of Charles Howell III
3) Dana Dahlquist - coach to Rory Hie, PGA Tour coach
4) Mac O'Grady - mentors to Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett of Stack and Tilt fame
5) Dennis Alberts - former coach to Jay Haas
6) Gregg McHatton - 1963 USGA Junior champ, PGA Tour coach
7) Mal Tongue - former coach to Michael Campbell
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:51 am

2) Ben Doyle - coach to Steve Elkington, Bobby Clampett and boyhood coach of Charles Howell III
4) Mac O'Grady - mentors to Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett of Stack and Tilt fame
8) Alec Mercer- Steve Elkington
9) Dave Merriman- Brett Ogle. (Dave is still playing well on Senior Tour)
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:53 am

shorthitter wrote:
10) ShortHitter
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 8:56 am

G_Man wrote:
shorthitter wrote:
10) ShortHitter

Hehe Shorthitter for 30 minutes... not sure that a good advertisment after your post in "why not take lessons" lol!
Back to top Go down
benhogan
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:27 am

1) Poh Ah Hai
2) Poh Eng Wah
3) Phua Thin Kay
4) Greg Anketell
5) M Balraj
6) Lee Carrington

All good teachers, lousy student. That's why am still stuck with a bad grip and an over swing that reaches the knee.
And plays in the low 90s, I am happy to be able to play a round of golf. Wink
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:31 am

HAHAHAHA, well you know i take lessons, not regularly, but I do...
I actually call then tune ups.

When I went to see you, you know i came in with a specific fault I wanted fixed. That was all. The swing video was great... I spotted the cause and teh effects almost straight away.

In terms of the other post, I am referring more to the beginner just starting out learning. Thats a different animal. Most coaches just seem hell bent on sitting there watching a student hit golf balls... Adding in a "good "or a "yeah, thats the way" ever so often. This is so evident at most of the ranges I frequent. Student is tired and swinging the clubs in a wishy washy manner, and the coach says?? "Yeah, thats good" Students should squeeze in the knowledge, not the number of balls they can hit within the hour.

Its ironic that a few friends of mind are changing Pros as fast as they are changing Drivers. Now a certain friend that should not be named has a "Single-Plane-Stack-and-Pivot-Rightsided, Leftsided, Backsided" swing... Thanks to all the coaches, taking money from him has never been easier. This is a win-win situation. They win his money for lessons and I win his money on teh course.

And why do we name the Pros we have worked with? The point of it is??? If I got the right with the first coach, do I need to find another??? If I should, does that apply to marriage as well? Very Happy

Last edited by G_Man on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:39 am

No point, I think TGM was referring to "big name" coaches, of which I hardly qualify... and I agree there are many money making only coaches out there...

Makes it hard for the rest of us...... Smile
Back to top Go down
GolfMania
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
GolfMania

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:43 am

My coach is Mr. Richard Harris, one of the presenter of Golf Focus Wink
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:50 am

Coaches out there to make a quick buck without actually teaching well are the Norm, I have had coaches that charged me for the hour and stayed with me for 3 to 4 hours to work out the problems... You being one of them.

At least I know who I will go back to if I want to fix faults.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:13 am

G_Man wrote:

Its ironic that a few friends of mind are changing Pros as fast as they are changing Drivers. Now a certain friend that should not be named has a "Single-Plane-Stack-and-Pivot-Rightsided, Leftsided, Backsided" swing... Thanks to all the coaches, taking money from him has never been easier. This is a win-win situation. They win his money for lessons and I win his money on teh course.

And why do we name the Pros we have worked with? The point of it is??? If I got the right with the first coach, do I need to find another??? If I should, does that apply to marriage as well? Very Happy

I think it all depends on what you want out of your golf. Same reason why some golfers change equipment. It's not always to shoot a lower score, sometimes it's just because he/she justs wants to try something different or new.

Similarly, I do enjoy learning the many different ways to swing a golf club. Admittedly I might not be doing what the coach is trying to teach, but I do have fun trying to tweak my swing, from swing flatter to more upright, rightsided, leftsided, lopsided, TGM to TCM.

I can and do have fun on the golf course even if my scores suffers. Somedays I try out a new swing on the course, or try to hit towards the water hazard and then try to draw/hook the ball back, just to try to make things more exciting... 8)
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:15 am

G_Man wrote:

I like that. Many are out for a quick fix, some miracle cure to their swing which does not exist. You can not buy a golf swing and no magical shaft or expensive driver is gonna fix your over the top, reverse pivot swing. It takes hard work and work on the drills and faults that we all have. If it was a simple as throwing down some $$$ then we would all be on the US Tour. You need to find a coach and a swing model you think will work and stick to it over a long term. There are no such things as quick fixes or band aids IMO. Find out your fault, find the drills that will fix your fault and work on it for months, even years until you change it permanently. "If you do as you always do, you will get what you always got"
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:16 am

Ssquirrel wrote:

Somedays I try out a new swing on the course, or try to hit towards the water hazard and then try to draw/hook the ball back, just to try to make things more exciting... 8)

Bro BUAYA LA!!!!
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:18 am

Well Righ_sided_coach,
I am still proactively recommending this friend new and different Pros. Got to make the money off him somehow!!!!
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:15 pm

G_Man wrote:
Coaches out there to make a quick buck without actually teaching well are the Norm, I have had coaches that charged me for the hour and stayed with me for 3 to 4 hours to work out the problems... You being one of them.

At least I know who I will go back to if I want to fix faults.

Thank you... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which pros have you seen?   Which pros have you seen? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which pros have you seen?
Page 1 of 1