Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lob wedge... a must have.

Go down 
+7
m0i
BT
Technospaz
Gray
jaketang
Ssquirrel
watermyforrest
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

Lob wedge... a must have. Empty
PostSubject: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:14 pm

Bought Titleist 60deg with 8deg bounce for $99 from Pan West sometimes after one of the bros mentioned the sale.

All I can say is... love it, love it, love it.

After practising in the TP Range for 2 Saturdays, I had a chance to use it not just once but twice in our very own Marina Bay Golf Course green bunkers. Previously with my Titleist SM 56deg wedge I either have to open the club really really wide (still 80% chance that the ball will hit the wall and roll back) or take my bitter medicine and hit to the lowest lip of the bunkers and faced with difficult chip afterwards. But with this lob wedge, I just have to open a little bit and hit it hard. The bounce took care of the sand and the loft took care of the height for 2 marvelous sand saves.

I can now sleep easy for I am no longer daunted by those gargantuan green bunkers.

Note: tried it on the rough as well but ended up skulling the ball pig I guess I have to stick with my trusty old 56deg to tackle the rough.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:30 pm

If you practise enough, can open your 5i clubface and still get the ball out of the Marina Bay bunker... Smile

Hehhee; kidding with you hor...

congrats on your new wedge... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm

rough sometimes make yr ball nearer to you then on fairway, so need to grip shorter...

they will bite yr club face too and coz skull...thus need to hold firm and commit....

this is wat i read.....
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:37 pm

60 deg is a difficult club to use.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Gray wrote:
60 deg is a difficult club to use.

Bro, I read about this so many times but if I aim to sweep the ball (i.e. aim to slot the clubface between the ball and the turf or matt if you are in the range) without trying to scoop up the ball, I find that it is relatively easy club to use.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:45 pm

jaketang wrote:
rough sometimes make yr ball nearer to you then on fairway, so need to grip shorter...

they will bite yr club face too and coz skull...thus need to hold firm and commit....

Ah I see, thanks for the pointer. I suppose that was what happened to me. So must grip shorter and whack harder.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:50 pm

I also love my 60˚ wedge. I agree with gray that it's not an easy club to use and requires practice (to build confidence and the swing) but once you pick it up, it's a life saver. It gives me a lot of control over the ball. I think it's a great club to have and would recommend it. While it's tough at first, work at it and I'm sure it'll bring you benefits Smile
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 4:06 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
jaketang wrote:

Ah I see, thanks for the pointer. I suppose that was what happened to me. So must grip shorter and whack harder.

bro, i believe is not really whack harder but firmer... hahaha i oso duno wat's the diff...

anyway i am using a 64..... not becoz i am good but it is off the shelve at discounted price..... not easy to use....
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 4:23 pm

jaketang wrote:

anyway i am using a 64..... not becoz i am good but it is off the shelve at discounted price..... not easy to use....

Whoa... Is your SW is 58deg? How far do you hit both 58deg & 64deg on full swing (just out-of-curiousity)?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 4:32 pm

i m playing with a 64, 58, 50, and a 45 pitching wedge... (think i bought the 58 n 50 sala liao...thinking of bending it to 51 n 57 to shorten the gaps)

under optimum conditions n solid hit (which is rare),

64 - 40-50m
58 - 60-70m
50 - 80-95m
P - 95-110m
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm

jaketang wrote:
thinking of bending it to 51 n 57 to shorten the gaps)

If I am not mistaken, Titleist wedges can't be bended since it is cast iron.
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 4:38 pm

sigh.... then forget it loh.... boh pian... i m left hander..buy clubs difficult.. sometimes juz buy when i see one tht's not bad...
Back to top Go down
BT
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BT

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:00 pm

I love my Lob wedge.

I was at Kranji yesterday and hit short of the green into the sand slope of a deep bunker, next to the wall closest to the green. The wall was about my height. It landed really hard and was 80% buried. Only 2cm circle of ball around the Titleist logo visable.

I took out my 60 degree dunlop solution (cheapest club in my life, $10 or something like that from Kmart) and gripped down.

My stance was on the slope, had to struggle to get a firm footing.

Opened the club a little, took a really hard swing and got a face full of sand but the ball popped up almost straight and landed on the fringe and rolled onto the green.

Of course, don't tell people I ended up in the bunker because of a underhit lob wedge out of the rough that was short of the green.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:16 pm

BT wrote:
I love my Lob wedge.

I was at Kranji yesterday and hit short of the green into the sand slope of a deep bunker, next to the wall closest to the green. The wall was about my height. It landed really hard and was 80% buried. Only 2cm circle of ball around the Titleist logo visable.

I took out my 60 degree dunlop solution (cheapest club in my life, $10 or something like that from Kmart) and gripped down.

My stance was on the slope, had to struggle to get a firm footing.

Opened the club a little, took a really hard swing and got a face full of sand but the ball popped up almost straight and landed on the fringe and rolled onto the green.

Of course, don't tell people I ended up in the bunker because of a underhit lob wedge out of the rough that was short of the green.

Wow... I thought you need to hit it steep with plugged balls, even in the bunker... where did you aim to hit? The usual 1 inch behind the visible part of the ball?

Btw... do we have K-Mart in Singapore????
Back to top Go down
m0i
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
m0i

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
If you practise enough, can open your 5i clubface and still get the ball out of the Marina Bay bunker... Smile

Hehhee; kidding with you hor...

congrats on your new wedge... Very Happy

True. Hit the wall and bounce back. Razz
Back to top Go down
BT
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
BT

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:43 pm

watermyforrest wrote:

Wow... I thought you need to hit it steep with plugged balls, even in the bunker... where did you aim to hit? The usual 1 inch behind the visible part of the ball?

Yeah, I hindged by wrists and let it fly. I aimed at where i estimated the bottom of the ball should be, about 1.5 inch behind cause its on a slope.

Not sure if thats the correct theory but it worked.

K-mart Sydney
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 pm

watermyforrest wrote:

what do u need?
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:55 pm

we need some $10 wedges?... hahaha
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 7:03 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:

what do u need?

Nothing in particular actually (at least not yet), but if there is, just like to look and see the Giant/Carefour equivalent. bounce
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 7:15 pm

oki doks.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 7:51 pm

cheapest new wedge i have seen are those Perry Gear selling at $49 at Isetan (maybe cheaper this weekend). Looks nice from far......
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:09 pm

tronos wrote:
cheapest new wedge i have seen are those Perry Gear selling at $49 at Isetan (maybe cheaper this weekend). Looks nice from far......

Err... looks can be deceiving?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:16 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
jaketang wrote:
thinking of bending it to 51 n 57 to shorten the gaps)

If I am not mistaken, Titleist wedges can't be bended since it is cast iron.

Vokeys can be bent....... (add bit.... no guarantee)!!!! lol! But I have bent mine at least twice.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Technospaz wrote:
tronos wrote:

Err... looks can be deceiving?

Lob wedge... a must have. PD-golf-1754w

if looks is enough.......
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Just saw the new conforming Japanese wedges at BFG today... me and LS helped DGMan to open the box and we feasted on the new beauties inside.... very very nice.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lob wedge... a must have.   Lob wedge... a must have. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lob wedge... a must have.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next