Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ping G10 Driver

Go down 
+4
tronos
shotah
Lamts18
Technospaz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 10:57 pm

Folks, can anyone please share their thoughts on the Ping G10 driver? Just wanted some feedback. I tested it not too long ago and found it pretty decent and relatively forgiving. TIA!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:00 pm

I have the G10.. its quite a good driver , forgiving too... though my R9 with the kajiki has less dispersion. distance wise, i think the G10 is a little longer but not as straight..
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:04 pm

Dear Mr Lam, i am starting to realise that you will always have the latest models of golf clubs. Salute!!!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:07 pm

No lah.... a lot of stuffs i don't have... recently sold some old ones... so trying out new stuffs... looking at the Adams new Speedline drivers.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shotah
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
shotah

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:11 pm

hehe..... but the new adams driver really looks cool and the review is solid.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:15 pm

Yes.. but the shape kinda odd... they say its more aerodynamic ...
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:43 pm

dying to know the FR for a Adams 9015D (dont think the 9032LS is out yet), dont know anyone that is willing to spend $399 on one of these.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 11:46 pm

The 9032LS is out aly and retailing for US$369.99 , still checking out and reading more info before deciding..
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:03 am

Had a G10 but I think it's the most overrated driver. I know many would say that it's one of the best but not for me. To each his own.

I am playing the Cobra L4V 10 degree right now. At first people balk at me playing something with a 10 degree loft. But this baby redefined the phrase "hang time" for me. The ball stays in the air very long before it starts its descent. I have managed to shape a draw or a fade out of it. Tall face makes this club really forgiving, which is what I really need. (Btw, Cobra Speed is a different story altogether.)

Lamts: May I know what are you looking out for? Distance? Shot shaping? Consistency? As far as I understand, you already have an R9, which is long and forgiving. The Ping G10 has been there for sometime. And it has been confirmed that the new model is coming out soon. Apologies but I don't know where to find lefty models for the L4V or L5V.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:18 am

I have the L5V too and its not too bad... only the sound is a bit clanky.. I just want a forgiving driver , good distance (don't we all..) thats put me on the fairway.. Thanks Rocky.. buy you kopi next time we meet... have not had the pleasure of meeting you yet... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:20 am

Rocky, what your take on the Adams 9032LS ?
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:54 am

Lamts:

We met before at Eric's. I was checking out his prototype stocks, remember? In fact, I have also seen your swing and it looks smooth and rhythmic.

I haven't got a chance to try any Adams products. Adams never came into my radar until Tom Watson during the British Open. That was where I found out that Adams Golf make really good hybrids. On hindsight, coach did mention to me about Adams but I never really bothered. I understand that Golf House carries them but I need to try them out at a range.

If I ever get my hands on a 9032LS I will try and let you know. I believe Adams products are under rated.

For forgiveness, I tend to think that tall face equates to added forgiveness. That's where L4V stands out (63mm). The L5V stands at 60mm. Another driver with a tall face (65mm) is the TM R7 Superquad. I tried one at Eric's and I felt that it is also very forgiving. (All specs from GolfDigest.com).

If you don't mind I would like to suggest an alternative to forgiveness - Square heads. Due to the square design of the head, the power distribution is more uniform throughout the club face. This is in comparison with traditional heads where the power distribution is concentrated in the centre of the club face.
Therefore, the percentage of hitting a straight shot with a square head driver is higher. The drawback is that bad shots will become straight pulls or straight push, instead of a hook or a slice. I also read that square drivers launch higher and are generally shorter than traditional shaped drivers. But if I were in your situation, I would sacrifice the distance for the extra forgiveness. 10m - 20m more off the tee makes little difference as compared when you are in the drink or in the sand.

Drivers that are square head include:
Nike SQ2 5900
Nike Dymo2
Callaway FT-i
Callaway FT-iQ
Adams Insight XTD

Seriously, if you are considering the G10, why not also consider the Rapture?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 7:24 am

I went from the Nike SQ to the Ping G10.

The G10 gave me easily 10 metres more at least compared to the SQ. I was hitting more fairways too. i would actually credit it more to the shaft/head combination. I got the Gralloy ProLaunch Red the last time.

To put it on figures, the Nike SQ gave me 250m, the G10 was at least 260m. Flat and no wind conditions.

since then, I have switched to...

Titty 909D3
Cobra S9.1 Pro S
TM R9

Started to like the R9/Kajiki combination. Now it is the problem of working out the new swing.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 8:33 am

Thanks folks. Great feedback. I spotted a decent offer for a used G10 so was keen but may step back a little and wait for the G15.

I thought of the Rapture V2 but think that it's overrated as well.

I tested the L5V and S9-1 recently. I liked them both though I didn't quite take to the L5V's sound.

Overall, the R9 is still tops on my list and I'll wait to see if there are any good offers at the Isetan sale.

Cheers, all. You guys rock!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 11:13 am

rocky wrote:
Lamts:

We met before at Eric's. I was checking out his prototype stocks, remember? In fact, I have also seen your swing and it looks smooth and rhythmic.

I haven't got a chance to try any Adams products. Adams never came into my radar until Tom Watson during the British Open. That was where I found out that Adams Golf make really good hybrids. On hindsight, coach did mention to me about Adams but I never really bothered. I understand that Golf House carries them but I need to try them out at a range.

If I ever get my hands on a 9032LS I will try and let you know. I believe Adams products are under rated.

For forgiveness, I tend to think that tall face equates to added forgiveness. That's where L4V stands out (63mm). The L5V stands at 60mm. Another driver with a tall face (65mm) is the TM R7 Superquad. I tried one at Eric's and I felt that it is also very forgiving. (All specs from GolfDigest.com).

If you don't mind I would like to suggest an alternative to forgiveness - Square heads. Due to the square design of the head, the power distribution is more uniform throughout the club face. This is in comparison with traditional heads where the power distribution is concentrated in the centre of the club face.
Therefore, the percentage of hitting a straight shot with a square head driver is higher. The drawback is that bad shots will become straight pulls or straight push, instead of a hook or a slice. I also read that square drivers launch higher and are generally shorter than traditional shaped drivers. But if I were in your situation, I would sacrifice the distance for the extra forgiveness. 10m - 20m more off the tee makes little difference as compared when you are in the drink or in the sand.

Drivers that are square head include:
Nike SQ2 5900
Nike Dymo2
Callaway FT-i
Callaway FT-iQ
Adams Insight XTD

Seriously, if you are considering the G10, why not also consider the Rapture?

Oh Yes... Sorry Rocky, my bad.. i remembered.. we met at BFG once.. sorry again... old man here and memory is failing... i bought the Ping Rapture from the US and could not hit it (could be the shaft)
so i sold it and bought the G10.. Thanks for your inputs and will take a look at your recommendations. last night wanted to order the Adams 9032LS and Rife putter but the shipping cost alone is US144/- so i put it off to search for cheaper place to buy...
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Lamts: MY BAD! I had actually thought you were the one looking for G10. Only to realise that Techno was the one who started the thread! Razz
I've done some shipping before and my estimate is about SGD$1200 in total for these 2 babies. Which Rife you looking at? Btw, my friend, you have good taste.

Techno: Coming back to topic. Exactly what are you looking for in the driver? As mentioned I think the G10 is over-rated.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:34 pm

rocky wrote:
Lamts: MY BAD! I had actually thought you were the one looking for G10. Only to realise that Techno was the one who started the thread! Razz
I've done some shipping before and my estimate is about SGD$1200 in total for these 2 babies. Which Rife you looking at? Btw, my friend, you have good taste.

Techno: Coming back to topic. Exactly what are you looking for in the driver? As mentioned I think the G10 is over-rated.

No worries Sir, For me, i only able to look at the Rife 2 bar Hybrid mallet.. Checked with S70B and he said quite a good things about it... yes you're right it slightly than 1200 for these 2 including shipping.. but the shipping alone is USD145/- quite ex... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 pm

Rocky,
Out of curiosity why you think it is over-rated? Not too worry, just shoot yr honest views, I am not a G10 owner.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 4:16 pm

rocky wrote:

Hey Rocky, thanks for bringing this back to topic.

Anyway, I was looking for an alternative to my Burner. I was quite keen on the R9 but tested the G10 recently and quite liked it. That said, I may have had a couple of good swings which caused me to like it. I wonder if it is forgiving overall and I guess that's what I'm looking for ultimately.
Back to top Go down
rocky
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
rocky

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Khorkar:
Players who play the G10 will say that it is forgiving, easy to hit and gives a lot of distance. For me, it is the opposite. My bad shots were low left to right shots that did not have any air time at all. I could not feel where the head was when I am coming into impact, and that made me inconsistent. The most difficult part using the driver was lining up the half moon. I could never tell where the centre is. Had it for about a month or so and never had a good drive so I gave it up. Lost a couple hundred bucks from the sale too. But it was also because of that where I found my current L4V. Smile

Techno:
Burner? You mean the 07 or the 09 version? If it's the 07 version I would stick to it. I've tried both the Burners and in my opinion the 07 one is better.

If you refer to my previous reply, I mentioned about forgiveness deriving from tall faces . My personal feel is that tall faces allow more room for error, and ultimately become more forgiving. Tall faced drivers include L4V, L5V, R7 Superquad.
Square drivers are also very forgiving, so long as you can get past the stigma of square head drivers.
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:27 pm

bro Lamts18,

Have you considered using Borderlinx to ship back the 2 items? It is definitely cheaper than USD 144.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:41 pm

rocky wrote:
Techno:
Burner? You mean the 07 or the 09 version? If it's the 07 version I would stick to it. I've tried both the Burners and in my opinion the 07 one is better.

If you refer to my previous reply, I mentioned about forgiveness deriving from tall faces . My personal feel is that tall faces allow more room for error, and ultimately become more forgiving. Tall faced drivers include L4V, L5V, R7 Superquad.
Square drivers are also very forgiving, so long as you can get past the stigma of square head drivers.

Thanks again, rocky. I'm using the 09 Burner.

As for the tall faced driver, I'll consider your options and will test drive a few. As I mentioned, I tried the L5V and liked it. I appreciate your great feedback and help Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ping G10 Driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G10 Driver   Ping G10 Driver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ping G10 Driver
Page 1 of 1