Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Europe Trip

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Europe Trip Empty
PostSubject: Europe Trip   Europe Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 8:56 am

Gents, anyone went to 5 Star for a Europe trip ? I'm looking at a 12 days Paris/Italy/Switzerland Package. Comments ???
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

Europe Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe Trip   Europe Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:41 am

ironstarz wrote:
Gents, anyone went to 5 Star for a Europe trip ? I'm looking at a 12 days Paris/Italy/Switzerland Package. Comments ???

My GOD ! Last Dec I took this package with my family and had the worst holiday in my life. They sub out to a free lance guide and she screwed up the whole holiday, not only for us but the whole group. After we came back, THE WHOLE GROUP went to their office to complaint. Beware, a lot of the sight seeing are optional tours. Let me tell you how they pay this freelance guides. They don't pay them any salary and she depends on the income from all this optional tours. So you will know how much this guide charged as their allowances comes only from this optional tours. From part of the entrance fees and from commissions they earned from things you buy when they bring you to so call 'recommended' shops. You judge it for yourself. In the end they refund us $150 per person because the guide overcharged us for nearly every optional tours. You better make sure if you have signed up already, asked clearly what the optional tour charges are and if agreeable with you, have it on Black and White and make sure you take down the names of the person who gives you the cost. Find out the local cost thru internet, example, if you stay in a local hotel, they offer day trips. From there you can see th edifference how much they charged. On our trip the prices differs from what was initially agreed during our pre trip briefing. You do your own maths. Mad

titu
Back to top Go down
vyeo
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Europe Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe Trip   Europe Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:28 am

My two cents: If you have the time, perhaps you could consider going free and easy. Although this would probably depend on who you're travelling with and how big your party is, travelling in Europe is really easy and by doing a free and easy, you would have much more scope to deviate and get a feel of the country you're visiting; no need to rush, no need to go to "preferred" souvenir stores and restaurants, and even the experience of getting lost in the streets could bring you unforgettable experiences like the small trattoria, gelataria etc. If its an adult group you're travelling with, all you need to cover the locations you listed is a train pass, which you can buy in Singapore. I believe you can get the same for the kids, if any, as well, and at a discounted rate. Hotels are easily researched on and booked online.

As for safety issues, I think you would be fine as long as you take the necessary precautions. There are "bad" people everywhere, and I think in general, its probably no more dangerous than in Singapore. I've done Europe three times in the last six years and I've never felt unsafe, even during a 40min walk through the Florence streets at near midnight after going to a far flung locals-only restaurant. When I was lost in a small German town, it was a group of tattooed skin heads on motorcycles who called a taxi for me and got me back to my hotel.

Finally, your proposed itinerary appears rather rushed and would probably only give you a sweeping impression of each place. For example, Italy itself could easily take up all 12 days just to cover Rome, Florence and Venice, including a couple of day trips to smaller towns like Siena and Pisa. And we've not even talked about going to the Naples ruins and Milan! But whatever you decide on, have fun! I'm sure you'll have a great time. Italy is just so rich in historical sites and culture, that one trip would not be enough.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Europe Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe Trip   Europe Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Tituman wrote:
ironstarz wrote:

My GOD ! Last Dec I took this package with my family and had the worst holiday in my life. They sub out to a free lance guide and she screwed up the whole holiday, not only for us but the whole group. After we came back, THE WHOLE GROUP went to their office to complaint. Beware, a lot of the sight seeing are optional tours. Let me tell you how they pay this freelance guides. They don't pay them any salary and she depends on the income from all this optional tours. So you will know how much this guide charged as their allowances comes only from this optional tours. From part of the entrance fees and from commissions they earned from things you buy when they bring you to so call 'recommended' shops. You judge it for yourself. In the end they refund us $150 per person because the guide overcharged us for nearly every optional tours. You better make sure if you have signed up already, asked clearly what the optional tour charges are and if agreeable with you, have it on Black and White and make sure you take down the names of the person who gives you the cost. Find out the local cost thru internet, example, if you stay in a local hotel, they offer day trips. From there you can see th edifference how much they charged. On our trip the prices differs from what was initially agreed during our pre trip briefing. You do your own maths. Mad

titu

Jesus Christ! I saw ur comments too late Sad I've already signed up with them already. They did told me some trips are optional tours and before we fly, there will be a briefing and all the cost will be made known to us, and we will decide how much we need to pay for different optional tours. Now just gotta pray for things to be better, i've travelled with 5 star a few times and so far so good. Hope this trip will be the same
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

Europe Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe Trip   Europe Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks for sharing, Titu.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

Europe Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe Trip   Europe Trip I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:50 pm

ironstarz wrote:
Tituman wrote:
ironstarz wrote:

titu

Jesus Christ! I saw ur comments too late Sad I've already signed up with them already. They did told me some trips are optional tours and before we fly, there will be a briefing and all the cost will be made known to us, and we will decide how much we need to pay for different optional tours. Now just gotta pray for things to be better, i've travelled with 5 star a few times and so far so good. Hope this trip will be the same

I have used 5 stars all the while too and have one of my best holiday in Hokaido with a very experienced guide. However, this last one really spoilt the whole holiday and its not cheap. We have 3 adults and 2 kids and spent about 18k . Its the irresponsible guide which spoilts the whole show. Like I said, best you go surf the net and find out the local tour prices for all this optional tours and then see how much 5 stars going to charge. If too excessive, make sure you voice it out. They can on the spot reduced the initial price proposed. Not kidding. Don't take everything shove down to you.

titu
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Europe Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe Trip   Europe Trip I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Tituman wrote:

I have used 5 stars all the while too and have one of my best holiday in Hokaido with a very experienced guide. However, this last one really spoilt the whole holiday and its not cheap. We have 3 adults and 2 kids and spent about 18k . Its the irresponsible guide which spoilts the whole show. Like I said, best you go surf the net and find out the local tour prices for all this optional tours and then see how much 5 stars going to charge. If too excessive, make sure you voice it out. They can on the spot reduced the initial price proposed. Not kidding. Don't take everything shove down to you.

titu

Sounds like a plan. Thats what i'm doing now computing the prices of different things to be done and see what they offer me . Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Europe Trip Empty
PostSubject: Re: Europe Trip   Europe Trip I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Europe Trip
Page 1 of 1