Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?

Go down 
+8
tronos
Birdman
weesern
hoelwill
daveaha
golf_snowman
mUAr_cHEe
watermyforrest
12 posters
AuthorMessage
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? Empty
PostSubject: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Had a game at MBGC recently and realised that all of my bad shots came from hitting at elevation. Those undulating fairways successfully killed my swing.

Tried all methods like moving the ball positions and center of gravity but only 50% success rate.

Any GRians faced and overcame this problem? Pls share how and where do you train these shots.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:32 pm

dropping another ball and hit again. that is what I do to train.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Hmmm... OJT (On the Job Training). Provided flight mate and marshals not rushing, i might try this. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi,

I have come across one training material about hitting on undulating lies (sorry couldn't rememeber which one) and the key point is to try to ensure setup or address are perpendicular to the lie..that to say, if it's a up slope, (if you are a right hander) you can feel more weight on your right leg and relatively setting up ur club to be perpendicular to the up slope ground, and you will find your body slightly tilted and on parallel to up slope lie.

the same theory apply to downslope as well.

there are mention of club selection as well, but sorry, i couldn't remember much in detail.

snowman[left]
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:59 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
dropping another ball and hit again. that is what I do to train.

At Marina Bay ? Almost impossible...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
hoelwill
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
hoelwill

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Dave, V-golf....
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm

how many mulligan do they allow?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 5:32 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
Hi,

I have come across one training material about hitting on undulating lies (sorry couldn't rememeber which one) and the key point is to try to ensure setup or address are perpendicular to the lie..that to say, if it's a up slope, (if you are a right hander) you can feel more weight on your right leg and relatively setting up ur club to be perpendicular to the up slope ground, and you will find your body slightly tilted and on parallel to up slope lie.

there are mention of club selection as well, but sorry, i couldn't remember much in detail.

snowman[left]

From what I recall, it is as what golf snowman said, align your stance such that you are always perpendicular to the slope with the ball position further back to ensure you catch the ball first. Minimal head movement is very important. Cut back on the backswing and don't muscle the shot. Maintain tempo and rhythm while keeping the lower body quiet for good balance. Upslope, compensate your aim for a draw shot and downslope compensate for fade. The previous tip also applies to ball above your feet and ball below your feet. For upslope, club up one more, and downslope club down one. The rest is practice.

And there really isn't any proper place in Singapore to practice from an uneven lie. The best way is to practice such shots during a round. There is no better simulation of course conditions than the real thing. Of course I say this with due consideration to others on the course. Should only be done on a quiet course with no visible flights behind or in front of you, which is probably during a weekday (best is Monday) on a JB course.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Turf City...some of the bays are on sloping grounds...not so severe as MBGC course but its sloping and its grass (mostly grass anyway.... dont use ur black nickel/raw wedge there, it will wear all the coating/scratch in only one session)
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:11 pm

shorthitter... do u still have that training tool for the uneven lie?
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:12 pm

@birdman & golf-snowman: these are the 50%-rate-of-success-shots that i mentioned earlier. I suppose this is due to lack of practice

@tronos: thanks, i will try to visit there one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Watermyforest, that's why balance, tempo, rhythm, and staying down on the shot is all important. Muscling the ball from such a lie is also definitely not an option. Direction and good contact is more important than distance here.
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Toa Payoh Golf Range 2nd Level.

The damn place slopes from the back to the front.

Good for training slight downhill lies.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:01 pm

chemicalpro wrote:
Toa Payoh Golf Range 2nd Level.

The damn place slopes from the back to the front.

Good for training slight downhill lies.

Same with Green Fairways top level. Was wondering why at first I was topping all my balls from driver down to wedge. Took me awhile to adjust, it was good training for keeping the head down and extension through the ball. Found I had better contact when I went for a game after that, sadly, the good contact was only temporary.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Birdman wrote:
golf_snowman wrote:
Hi,

snowman[left]

From what I recall, it is as what golf snowman said, align your stance such that you are always perpendicular to the slope with the ball position further back to ensure you catch the ball first. Minimal head movement is very important. Cut back on the backswing and don't muscle the shot. Maintain tempo and rhythm while keeping the lower body quiet for good balance. Upslope, compensate your aim for a draw shot and downslope compensate for fade. The previous tip also applies to ball above your feet and ball below your feet. For upslope, club up one more, and downslope club down one. The rest is practice.

And there really isn't any proper place in Singapore to practice from an uneven lie. The best way is to practice such shots during a round. There is no better simulation of course conditions than the real thing. Of course I say this with due consideration to others on the course. Should only be done on a quiet course with no visible flights behind or in front of you, which is probably during a weekday (best is Monday) on a JB course.

Birdman, Thanks for the tip, do we need to choke down on our grip or change the face angle of our club or do a open stance or close stance or posture be more upright or bend more for those uphill , downhill, ball below and ball above feet ????? Please enlighten us, Thanks
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:12 pm

For me, I don train .......just take the medicine......ie punch the bloody ball and if ball can move or crawl to better lie....happy like bird liao.

What I am most focussing on is how to max out when given when ball is good lie around 100m range........where for this, I am currently undergoing theory training via watching golf channel..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chemicalpro
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
chemicalpro

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:19 pm

@Birdman, architecture fail? Actually I wouldn't mind, or at least with my irons, if it was sloping the other way i.e. front to back, giving a slight uphill lie shot. Would give me better compression and hopefully more distance so that I won't embarass myself Mad

@Duval, ya man I know what you mean. Most of the time we like to hit hero shots from horrid lies still trying to knock down pins Laughing sometimes must punch out to the fairway also Embarassed
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:14 pm

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
shorthitter... do u still have that training tool for the uneven lie?

Yes my man sure do.. can take an "uneven lie lesson or rent it for 1/2 - 1 hour to use on your own, is very good....

How come ur nick change colour?
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:35 am

shorthitter wrote:
How come ur nick change colour?

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:42 am

and68low wrote:

Birdman, Thanks for the tip, do we need to choke down on our grip or change the face angle of our club or do a open stance or close stance or posture be more upright or bend more for those uphill , downhill, ball below and ball above feet ????? Please enlighten us, Thanks

I am not some guru that can enlighten and show the path and68low.

ROFL
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 am

@ChemPro, unless I'm mistaken, methinks it's more of a drainage issue, so water will flow off after rain. Like the bathroom floor is always uneven lor. I just thought of it as a built in training aid.
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:41 am

Birdman wrote:
and68low wrote:

I am not some guru that can enlighten and show the path and68low.

ROFL

Hi again..

i still have to go back to what i can recall about uneven lie..

I think basically there are 4 scenario on uneven lie

i'm using Right Hander as an example, if you are a left hander, it will be the opposite side

The 4 possible scene are

1. Up slope lie : when you stand on the slope, you left foot will be higher than your right foot
2. Down slope : reverse, left foot lower than your right foot
3. facing upslope on even lie : the ball is higher than both your foot
4. facing downslope on even lie : ball is lower than both your foot

for scene #1 and #2, focus on address and ensure your shoulder is parallel to the upslope or downslode lie, ensure your club is setup perpendicular to the ground, so that you maintain your club face and loft. Therefore, relatively speaking, it is like hitting on even lie. Focus on good ball strike, full swing not require and do not force on it and maintain tempo.

For scene #3, the ball is relatively higher because it is above both of your feet, therefore, you need to choke down on your club and a straighter stance. If the slope is on the right side of fairway, your left shoulder pointing to target, beware the slope will encourage draw. If slope is on the left side of fairway, your right shoulder point to target, this slope will encourage a fade. Either case, you need to compensate on your alignment accordingly

For scene #4, the ball is relatively lower than both your feet, you would need to hold your club longer or bend your knee more. You would need to take note of your alignment too as it will encourage a fade or draw depending on which side of the slope the ball is.

Personally, in any one of these cases, i would not try to muscle it but just to get the ball air born straight to a better even lie for better play. The worse possible case is a combination of these scene such as upslope lie with ball above both feet etc etc....

hope that could help..enjoy the game...

snowman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?   How and where to train hitting from uneven lie? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How and where to train hitting from uneven lie?
Page 1 of 1