Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Swing Thoughts...

Go down 
+2
duffader
alvin7379
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

My Swing Thoughts... Empty
PostSubject: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:15 am

Not sure if I am doing things the right way, so would like to share my swing thoughts with fellow GRians and please feel free to comment, advise or share your own... Very Happy

I was told by many, who has seen my swing, that I have a slower than usual looking upswing follow by an effortless looking downswing. Personally I prefer to concentrate more on other aspects of the swing rather just just speed... but having said that, the swing speed should still be smooth enough to have a reasonable momentum to the full swing. If I were to make a list of priorities to my swing thoughts, it would be as follows:

1. momentum
2. balance
3. acceleration (btw is not = speed)
4. firm impact triangle (formed by the shoulder blades + 2 arms)
5. club head release
6. swing path
7. body weight distribution
8. head & eyes movement

Few things that I try to make sure that I don't commit during a swing are... dun over-swing, dun have too much lower body movements, dun force my arms to overtake the momentum of my shoulders, dun flip my wrist, dun be distracted by my PRC mei mei caddie(s)... keke... What a Face

My eyes are always on the back half of the ball and visualizing the down swing's in-out swing path. My head will only start to look up when it is being 'pull up' by the momentum of my shoulders towards the finishing of the swing.

And I ALWAYS make sure that I do a proper pre shot routine swing to have a feel of how the shot is going to be made. The pre shot practice swing should be done as closely to the actual swing and not just anyhow anyhow hit the grass without purpose.

Some other nitty gritty things such as stop breathing lah... scratching of the backside to ease the itch of blasting the ball hard lah... talking sweet nothings to the ball lah... tasting the wind speed and direction etc etc etc which I wouldn't go into...

My Swing Thoughts... do share yours!
cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:18 am

My swing thoughts......" Please.... DUn DUff....."
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 11:25 am

duffader wrote:
My swing thoughts......" Please.... DUn DUff....."

Well... that falls under the 'try do everything right and pray for the best' swing thoughts... Razz
Back to top Go down
hoelwill
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
hoelwill

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 pm

My swing thought : "Do i ....look fat?"
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Swing Thought : Grip And Rip It !!!
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Hoewill: My swing thought : "Do i ....look fat?"

That is a very dangerous question to answer if you are ask it by a female.

No win either way you answer.

Razz

CK
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 6:43 pm

If acceleration is not speed, than what is that?
How do you acclerate?
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 pm

seebayho wrote:

If acceleration is not speed, than what is that?
How do you acclerate?

When I refer to speed, I believe many would be thinking of wacking down on the ball as hard as possible to achieve the optimum clubhead speed, hence achieving maximum impact force on the ball allowing the ball to fly further (rule of physics... more force = higher speed = converting energy onto the ball to make it fly further blar blar blar)

So many of us... me including... is guilty of wanting to hit the ball as fast as possible and as hard as possible.

When I say acceleration, if you want to compare meaning of the english words, yes they may mean the same thing... but in my case, I was actually refering to the optimum rate of how fast should the club come down onto a ball... optimum rate not necessarily = the fastest speed.

A golfer can have a good swing momentum... the swing looks effortless, he does not look like he is squeezing the last ounce of his strength to hit the ball but with good acceleration of the club... he is able to hit the ball further than an average golfer.

I would perfer to associate acceleration with momentum rather than speed... not sure if my explaination is confusing you becos it is kind of my own theory... hehe....
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Alvin, I asked that because I am really impressed by your driving.
Now, how you do your acceleration? by way on hip?arms? wrist? or all?
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Actually I have not done a swing video analysis before... but I suspect I am a very arms and wrist person. I may be wrong but I think I swing my clubs alot using my arms... both woods and irons. (If you notice, my full swing looks like I am not turning my shoulders enough... because it is my arms doing all the work!)

And I think the advantage of arms is that 'acceleration' can be controlled more easily... while disadvantage is that I will tend to flip my wrist too quickly during impact, resulting in a bad bad hook.

I try to keep my lower body as still as possible.. so I don't think I use much energy generating from my hips and below... something I may want to look into to have better balance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Swing Thoughts...   My Swing Thoughts... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Swing Thoughts...
Page 1 of 1