Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wedges' Shafts

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fengz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Wedges' Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Wedges' Shafts   Wedges' Shafts I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi all. First of all, thanks for all the information shared in this forum. It is nice to have a golf forum with a local flavour.

To the question proper, I am currently using the Nike SV wedges 52 and 60 in S300 shaft. I am also using the Nike VR 56 wedge in S400. My irons are NSPRO 950GH in R flex. My irons are adjusted abt 1/2" longer than the orginal stock offerings. Is it necessary to change the shafts of my wedges to make them longer and uniform (kickpt??) with the rest of the irons? Any feedback is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Wedges' Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges' Shafts   Wedges' Shafts I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 5:02 pm

Question to yourself will be:

How am I hitting my irons compared to my wedges? Better or worse?

Your lengthened shafts - Were you properly fitted for it or it just came that way?

There are many different schools of thought. Some prefer stiffer shafts in the wedges compared to their irons because those are the accuracy clubs and they want to minimise dispersion. Others prefer a softer feel because most shots hit with the wedges are 'feel' shots so they will opt for a softer shaft.

No right or wrong. Its what you prefer. However, your shaft setup looks to be really too varied. S400 to me is pretty darn stiff and heavy for the avg individual. Thats looking at your R flex Nippons.

I have wedges in all sorts of configurations - DGS300, S300 hardstepped, X100, S400, KBS S. They all play differently to me. If I feel like I'm starting to hit the ball a little higher than I like, I check my lofts and switch out to the stiffer shafts. If I feel like the wedge shots are starting to be a littler off centre on hits, I switch back to the softer ones. I do not have a pref for soft or harder shafts and can play them pretty much the way they are.

My irons down to PW are 1/4" longer than std. However, I play std length wedges. I choke down for most shots anyway so there wasn't a real requirement for me to lengthen them. Just make sure the lie and swing weight is correct.
Back to top Go down
fengz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Wedges' Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges' Shafts   Wedges' Shafts I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks for your reply. My irons were fitted when i first bought my nickents 3DX (fitting comes with it). My 52 and 60 wedges' swing weight are D3 while the 56 is indeed a bit heavier at D5. Looks like i need to find a fitter to put in a S300. Hmmm, do we need to adjust lie on wedges since we open the club face according to different turf conditions?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Wedges' Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges' Shafts   Wedges' Shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:04 am

I find that lie angles on the wedges are equally as impt to me than my iron set as I use them as much, if not more often to hit 3/4 shots or pitches than laying them open for flops.

Not difficult to find a fitter who can do a decent job since its a readily available shaft. If you are ard central Singapore like Bukit Merah, Big Fish Golf is good. They have a branch in OCC too in the North. If you are in the west, can go to Raymond in Hub21. East can try Mark Higgs in Ubi or Torque Golf at Laguna.

Changing of lies is also a simple, quick n inexpensive procedure. I hope you get a quote on how much it is before you decide to do it at a certain place.
Back to top Go down
fengz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Wedges' Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges' Shafts   Wedges' Shafts I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Okie got it. Will visit one of the fitter one of these days to get the wedges sorted out. Thanks for the information. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wedges' Shafts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wedges' Shafts   Wedges' Shafts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wedges' Shafts
Page 1 of 1