Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story

Go down 
+9
DGman
mUAr_cHEe
Duval_S
sunny
missmoon
freedrop
Lamts18
Technospaz
yusuf.hamid
13 posters
AuthorMessage
yusuf.hamid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story Empty
PostSubject: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Hello local golfers,

Yusuf here, reporter with Straits Times Life!

I'm not a golfer, but I'm working on a piece that details the various credit-card promotions that allow cardholders varying degrees of access into some local golf-courses, without having to be a member.

Good luck that I came across this community, so i'm looking to speak to a couple of golfers for my story.

If you're interested to have a chance to speak your mind on this topic, please email me at yhamid@sph.com.sg or call my line at 63195196.

I'm looking for
a) Members of Jurong Country Club (where Amex has an existing promotion)
b) Golfers who use credit-card privileges to play at local clubs, without being a member.

Please get in touch with me real soon!

Thanks,
Yusuf
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Welcome to the Golf Republic, Yusuf. I'm glad that you found us and hope that you'll visit us on a social basis too (and give golf a try while you're at it).

Unfortunately, I'm neither (a) nor (b). I have (b) privileges but haven't used them. Doh!

Anyway, I hope you find suitable candidates and that your story will be a good one!
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:01 pm

I have used VISA Infinite Golf services only at Bali but not here in Singapore yet..
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:32 pm

I have used Amex platinum card ofr golf bookings, but frankly speaking, the benefits are almost zero. Most golf courses who have joint promotions with Amex or Visa platinum are accessible by any visitors at the same rates.

The T&C imposed by Amex and Visa are the main incoveniece in such bookings. Example : 8 days in advance of booking; card member must bring 2 or 3 paying guests etc.

So at the end, I seldom use their service anyway.
Back to top Go down
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:33 pm

I tried to call the call center from the credit card company once. I have problem understanding their English vice versa, and it took me great effort to communicate with them..

in the end, i gave up~
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:42 pm

the paying guest problem is also an issue. The paying guest cannot be members or if members are there, the rest of the users are not allowed to use member's guest rates. So in the end, the saving is insignificant or may not be there. I guess it is only good for golfers to try a course where they have no friends who are members.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:42 pm

I have never used any golfing privelleges (so call) becos I think it is just a marketing gimmick. There is this charge card....only allow one cardmember to use the golfing privelleges but the other 3 balls must pay full fare.....walau!!!!!! realistically how often that can happen...

I seriously think hor...that I prefer to sign-up with a card company if they are serious in golfing privelleges .....that does away with all these fee related gimmicks but just promised me that they can get me the desired tee time .....that i think is good enough for me....let's start from the basic....

PS: Hope the card company is listening...and what I stated above could be becos I am just a platinum carrier...not more than that.

Thanks..DS
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:05 pm

Calling Tomcat....
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:25 pm

missmoon wrote:
I tried to call the call center from the credit card company once. I have problem understanding their English vice versa, and it took me great effort to communicate with them..

in the end, i gave up~

e calli centar r usualli ovarsears e.g. India... so haver speaker slowlii fur tham to understandi you...
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:26 pm

i got no credit card...
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
yusuf.hamid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi guys,

Great to hear responses from you Smile Those who 'qualify' in my categories for information, would you mind getting in touch with me through email at yhamid@sph.com.sg, so we can discuss a little more? Or feel free to call my DID at 63195196. Thanks mates!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:28 pm

DGman wrote:
i got no credit card...

Wah Bro....that is the BEST 'card' liao.... CASH !!!.....I usually started with that till 8th of the month...then bo pian liao....Card ....
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:28 pm

DGman wrote:
i got no credit card...

you dont need to.....
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Duval_S wrote:
I have never used any golfing privelleges (so call) becos I think it is just a marketing gimmick. There is this charge card....only allow one cardmember to use the golfing privelleges but the other 3 balls must pay full fare.....walau!!!!!! realistically how often that can happen...

I seriously think hor...that I prefer to sign-up with a card company if they are serious in golfing privelleges .....that does away with all these fee related gimmicks but just promised me that they can get me the desired tee time .....that i think is good enough for me....let's start from the basic....

PS: Hope the card company is listening...and what I stated above could be becos I am just a platinum carrier...not more than that.

Thanks..DS

Absolutely agree with what Duval said. The golf privilege offered by credit card companies are pure marketing gimmicks, come with all kinds of absurd conditions.

I didn't sign up the cards because of golfing benefits, because I know there is none realistically. That's perhaps the reason why there is no more golf concierge to take calls, because there is no interests from card member to use this golf privilege (so called)
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:54 pm

Actually, it is not surprising lah... imagine if someone just sign up a credit card to use the golf course... and only use such cc to pay for the games book... how much is the cc going to earn?... Morale of the story, if something is too gd to be true, it is never real...rem there is no free lunch...
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 4:17 pm

I am entitled as an OCBC MasterCard Platinum/Titanium member to play in their quarterly golf tournaments for S$99--the two previous ones were at Sentosa (Tanjong Course) and Tanah Merah's Tampines Course. The next is at Ria Bintan.

There are some restrictions like if U play in one game already you are not qualified to play again this year and members must have spent at least S$800 on their OCBC MC (Pi/Ti) card the month prior to registering.

They also have FCFS booking system, so if U don't book early the one-week registration period, you may not get a slot.

BTW, I am uneligible to participate in any SPH-related content.

I am just describing this for the members here who might be considering joining one of their S$99 golf games.

CK
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 4:20 pm

that is good...i wouldn't mind participating for 99 in sentosa
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
katherinechiok
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
katherinechiok

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 5:06 pm

i signed up the OCBC MasterCard Platinum/Titanium for the golf privileges too.. but.. after that i got so lost.. dunno how and too lazy to find out more.. so i seldom use it liao.. White Flag
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 5:23 pm

www.ocbc.com/Golf

31 July 09 (Registration week past oledi--1 - 7 July)

The last event OCBC Golf Privilege Cardmember Challenge for 2009 will be at Laguna Nat'l CC at the end of November, so you have to register (* and had spent S$800 on the Pi/Ti credit card in Oct) the first week of the same month to try to get a slot.

*Terms and conditions apply.

CK
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 7:57 pm

clarencekim wrote:
www.ocbc.com/Golf

31 July 09 (Registration week past oledi--1 - 7 July)

The last event OCBC Golf Privilege Cardmember Challenge for 2009 will be at Laguna Nat'l CC at the end of November, so you have to register (* and had spent S$800 on the Pi/Ti credit card in Oct) the first week of the same month to try to get a slot.

*Terms and conditions apply.

CK

Well I have to say that OCBC is fairer and practical .....resulting in more transparency than the cards which I have.

Alamak...just realize I charge by insurance premium to my non-OCBC card......let me quickly apply and see if can change.....ahhhhh
Back to top Go down
pratat
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm

ermm i did use the Amex golf privileges once at sembangwa CC

advance booking in 4 days...
Book with amex operator and a 3 party golf company will call u back to confirm the booking. When confirm, charge to your credit card...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story   Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for Golfers for Straits Times story
Page 1 of 1