Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kid's Golf Start Age

Go down 
+9
tksoh
JonL_TK
weesern
LXWang
eiji
starchildten
Ssquirrel
shorthitter
whybel
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
whybel
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Kid's Golf Start Age Empty
PostSubject: Golf for Kids   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:58 pm

At what age should I sign my son up for Golfing? He is turning 5 this year.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Mine is 5 been golfing for a while..........

Kid's Golf Start Age Followthru
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:17 pm

shorthitter wrote:
Mine is 5 been golfing for a while..........

Kid's Golf Start Age Followthru
Saw you teaching 2 kids (was one your daughter?) at the chipping green yesterday Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:21 pm

Did ya mate, I nvr spy you........ Yes mine the noisy one.... the youngest I have is 4... (student not mine)
Back to top Go down
whybel
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:32 pm

thx, where would be a place to pick up golfing for a 5 year old?
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:37 pm

What area are you in?
Back to top Go down
whybel
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Am at Watten Estate, Off Dunearn Road.
Back to top Go down
starchildten
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
starchildten

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:41 pm

Once he can understand the instruction from the coach you can admit him. Most of the kids start from 6-8yr old.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:51 pm

I am at Laguna, but if that is to far Tanglin has good junior program.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:52 pm

tiger started at 2.5yr old
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
LXWang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Think it's very individual, it all depends on your kid's interest, I have seen kids as young as 2 yrs old in KinderGolf, they have trial class thats conducted together with the parents which may be good before you sign them up for the actual lessons.

Think it's about $40 for the trial.

Well, Tiger starts at 2 right?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:02 pm

when you want to start your child at such a young age, you have to set your expectation right.... sometimes you dun see any improvement until a year later... at such young age, some kids can understand but unable to perform coz mind and body still dun communicate well....
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:02 pm

whybel wrote:
Am at Watten Estate, Off Dunearn Road.
Kindergolf has a outlet at Horse City... They recently moved there from Jelita
Back to top Go down
LXWang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Discovering talent is one, but cultivate the interest is more important. For me, it's about sharing with my kid what I enjoy, the experience of spending time playing together is more important to me. So it all depends individual.

Just my 2 cents...
Back to top Go down
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:35 pm

the other concern is the clubs they used, kids really outgrow their clubs very fast, you will need to lengthen the clubs within a year and subsequently change the clubs/shaft entirely after 2 years.

I spend quite a bit to customise the clubs for my son but I recently change the clubs again. The old customise clubs are too light and not long enough.....lucky can trade in.

My advise if you want to get the clubs for beginner kids, either get old ones or just customise (1wd, 1xiron, 1xwedge + 1 putter).... but of course, if you have the $$$ and can see the potential... then separate story.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 2:37 pm

I think the other key factor is interest. There's little point in getting your child (or anyone for that matter) to start playing golf if he/she has no interest in the sport. Yes, interest can be cultivated but there needs to be at least some attraction to the game. If not, the lessons for the child (regardless of age) would be more painful and may even push him/her away from the game altogether.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 3:01 pm

shorthitter wrote:
I am at Laguna, but if that is to far Tanglin has good junior program.

I should say they have a junior program, I dont no how good it is.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Interest on the kids part is very impt. If interest is there, then me thinks best to start early. That's according to my pro coach.
Back to top Go down
rangereye
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
rangereye

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 3:49 pm

sorry, may be a bit OT.. dun gun me down.. White Flag

TKSoh, where you trade in your clubs? Me facing similar problem..
Back to top Go down
http://www.wizgolf.com.sg
whybel
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 3:59 pm

thx mate....appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Duplicate threads have been merged.

Whybel, please do not start 2 threads on the same topic. Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
whybel
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 pm

thanks for all your advise......my kid is currently not keen on any sports, except spending the whole day on the trampolin or bouncing castle....Smile so am trying to see if he will be ready and keen on golf.....apart from the plastic golf set at home.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:08 pm

I'd like to have my child start golfing as early as possible but it's not something I'd demand. Some kids take to golf better than others. Some love it. Others hate it.

At the end of the day, I believe that the sooner the child can learn the basics of the sport, the better. While age is key, it's not a total loss if the child picks up the sport later (see YE Yang).

What is important is that the child enjoys the game Smile
Back to top Go down
rangereye
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
rangereye

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Back to topic...

I will agree that it all depends on your kid's interest in picking up the game. I used to bring my kid (abt 3 yrs) to the range on weekend together with my sister's family and he would watch us practising whilst sitting in his pram.. soon, he got interested and wanted to play so I started him on his Kindergolf lesson (that's probably the one programme that a boy at the age can take up)..

He has been playing for close to a yr or has it been a yr (hmm.. ) and recently he has asked me to get him a driver, immediately after his teacher says he can progress to learn full swing and has been pestering me to bring him to the range to hit some balls after his lesson.. can see his pride and joy when he got his set and was happily showing off to every one at home his new golf set (previously he has only a 7 iron and a putter).

So, for my kid, its really all down to him seeing us adults and his elder cousins play that got him interested..

and you do need to watch your expectations on him.. as too much undue stress may turn him away if he feels that he has to leave up to certain expectations instead of having fun..

hope this helps..
Back to top Go down
http://www.wizgolf.com.sg
tksoh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
tksoh

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:40 pm

rangereye wrote:
sorry, may be a bit OT.. dun gun me down.. White Flag

TKSoh, where you trade in your clubs? Me facing similar problem..

I got the first set from HONSHIN (@NSRCC) and they are willing to trade the same clubs back. I hope I clarified myself here. I guess they won't take in other brands..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kid's Golf Start Age   Kid's Golf Start Age I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kid's Golf Start Age
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next