Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf

Go down 
+19
Joelwong
Nam Flog
MPA
chiajinhon
uncleP
Gymrat76
milos9680
slinger
Turbo
Gofnut
vinjess
zhian
scottycollector
Kaii
Sean76
bomby
pocketace
Chunky Munky
flashpacker
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf Empty
PostSubject: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 10:54 am

Since the other thread is about losing friends after playing good golf.

I fear I may start losing some friends after playing slow golf.

Here's my routine:
1) Check direction, check wind
2) 2-3 free swings.
3) 5-6s pause before initiating swing

For putting:
1) Go to the opposite side of ball to check slope
2) Go to 50% mark to check slope
3) Free swing 3-4 times
4) After 5s pause, start to putt

Some low handicap friends are getting impatient with me.

I can understand as I have played with golfers who take ages to play their ball, look for lost balls, daydream, don't pick up their ball after shooting double par, etc.
Playing a round can sometimes stretch more than 5 hours for 4 balls.
But then, golf is a game of patience isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Chunky Munky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Chunky Munky

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 11:06 am

Read the following points and try to implement them. You will speed up your play and stop annoying your friends in the process:

http://mag.thegcw.co.uk/issues/4-Colsaerts/speed-up-your-game.html
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 11:36 am

Chunky Munky wrote:
Read the following points and try to implement them. You will speed up your play and stop annoying your friends in the process:

http://mag.thegcw.co.uk/issues/4-Colsaerts/speed-up-your-game.html
Super funny article!

Thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 11:43 am

wah...

5-6s pause before swing or putt.. that is a loooonnnnnng time. And this coupled with you checking the wind.. direction and what clubs to choose and what shot to make.. 

Its not about whether the game is of patience.. its about disrupting the pace of play for some. A four ball should complete with 4 1/2 hrs.
Back to top Go down
Sean76
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Sean76

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 11:48 am

Fishing is a patience game, golf is a gentlemen game. You must respect the game, rules and other players on the course.

No issue to do free swings, it will/should increase your confidence but try not have too much swing thoughts which result in otherwise during execution. 

Final, enjoy the game and company with khakis are most important.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 12:27 pm

flashpacker wrote:

Here's my routine:
2) 2-3 free swings.

For putting:
3) Free swing 3-4 times

I can understand as I have played with golfers who take ages to play their ball, look for lost balls, daydream, don't pick up their ball after shooting double par, etc.

there's nothing intrinsically wrong with this routine and it doesnt necessarily have to hold up play

just make sure you do all that prep while others are playing their shots. once it comes to your turn, you should at most take 1 or 2 practice swings and go.

it's all about playing ready golf. If you do this, then on the rare occasion when you need to take a bit more time, either because its a difficult green, or your ball is in a bad spot, i'm sure your playing partners will understand.

I agree with Sean76 that it is important to respect other players and their time. What annoys me are players with a damn long preshot routine, who will either be daydreaming, looking for free balls in the hazard, talking on the phone etc rather than taking the time to get ready for their next shot.
Back to top Go down
zhian
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 pm

When you are on the green, whilst your friends are sizing up their putts, you should also be doing likewise. Its not necessary to wait till your turn to putt before you do your routine. This will save you some time on slow play.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 1:22 pm

scottycollector wrote:
flashpacker wrote:

Here's my routine:
2) 2-3 free swings.

For putting:
3) Free swing 3-4 times

there's nothing intrinsically wrong with this routine and it doesnt necessarily have to hold up play

just make sure you do all that prep while others are playing their shots. once it comes to your turn, you should at most take 1 or 2 practice swings and go.

it's all about playing ready golf. If you do this, then on the rare occasion when you need to take a bit more time, either because its a difficult green, or your ball is in a bad spot, i'm sure your playing partners will understand.

I agree with Sean76 that it is important to respect other players and their time. What annoys me are players with a damn long preshot routine, who will either be daydreaming, looking for free balls in the hazard, talking on the phone etc rather than taking the time to get ready for their next shot.

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Feels vindicated for my routine.
Also like what some bros say, to execute it in between plays eg while waiting for turn and play READY GOLF
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 4:11 pm

In anyway, whether play good golf or play bad golf, you will still lose your friends cos some wanna remain with certain group of same level to just enjoy the company and some would like to play with better players to improve their game.

I'm glad to have a handful of kakis who enjoy company, learn n train together.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 6:10 pm

Was paired with another golfer at MBGC one Sunday pm. Two of us set off nicely and there wasn't any flight behind us. Once we were near the green, he paced the distance between the pin to his ball. Then he chipped his ball and it landed on and rolled out of the green. He then paced the distance from the pin to his ball again and .......... After repeating the routine for 3 holes, our two ball flight was holding up a three ball flight that started one hole clear from us. After the 4th hole, I dumped him to join the 3 ball flight instead. I was not prepared to pay and have a stressed out game with someone who did not give a damn about holding up others.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Bro Gofnut, if u need golf kaki, let me know and I shall try to make it. I may not be a single handicapper but am sure  I wouldn't slow play to hold up others or disrupt others game ... Smile
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 9:25 pm

I am quite ok with slow golfers...

allow time for me to farm on my clash of clans....
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 9:27 pm

Gofnut, my sympathies.
I can feel your frustration. 
I was like this when first starting out and now, 
I have also played with slow players like this too.
Game momentum is often lost.

Yes respect for the other players (same flight or behind) is important.
PM me if you need kakis. I promise I wont be that slow Very Happy
Back to top Go down
milos9680
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 9:34 pm

flashpacker wrote:
Here's my routine:
2) 2-3 free swings.

For putting:
3) Free swing 3-4 times
Hi Flashpacker,

maybe you can do the routine...prior to you turn to tee off?  I do play with somebody...who will.. F me if i play slow. So i kinda know how it feels like to be slow, and have modify my routine to play faster.

Putting wise.... the 5s pause...maybe it is a bit long... my opinion only...dont flame me on this.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 pm

milos9680 wrote:
flashpacker wrote:
Here's my routine:
2) 2-3 free swings.

For putting:
3) Free swing 3-4 times
Hi Flashpacker,

maybe you can do the routine...prior to you turn to tee off?  I do play with somebody...who will.. F me if i play slow. So i kinda know how it feels like to be slow, and have modify my routine to play faster.

Putting wise.... the 5s pause...maybe it is a bit long... my opinion only...dont flame me on this.

Hi Milos, 
Yes I'll be getting rid of those 5s pause too though there are people who stare at the ball for 20s (no kidding)
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 12:00 am

Pre-shot routine still not so bad. I really dislike golfers who sit in the cart on Facebook or something, and only when its their turn to tee off do they slowly get out, pull on gloves, saunter up to the tee the then start teeing off.

They really should respect everyone's time and be ready at the tee when the others are teeing off
Back to top Go down
uncleP
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 8:50 am

It is ok to do pre /prep .
Play with few kaki at the same pace.
As long as your behind group or course marshal dont bother with You.
Allow others to pass, dont hog the course.

It is the attitude that some drive me crazy:

Keep talking on the phone
Throw clubs
curse at every shot he make
dont help out
expected the flight mate to be his caddy

Lagi piss
keep asking "how far to the green"
using range finder, looking for few minutes like birdwatching.
zooming off while u take a back swing

Siam
bionic man that stand in the green while U are trying to attack green
blame u for not making the putt n loosing the hole

U would be most welcome if you are the "HENRY" of the group.
playing scratch with strong players, buying drinks and lunch.
U go around picking up ppl sending them home......

Go MBGC the scavengers will teach u HOW to avoid slow play
Back to top Go down
chiajinhon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 11:07 am

Speaking of bad attitude, I saw this guy playing in batam... After putting, put the ball on the green and whack the ball with his putter in frustration. Then, he asks his caddy to go collect the ball that has flown far far away.. disgusting
Back to top Go down
MPA
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 8:39 pm

I think it is ok to paused 5-6 seconds to ensure u get a good shots or putts rather than you rush and end up with a bad shots or putts. Instead of faster u r getting slower instead.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 9:54 pm

Please allow me to reveal the truth about the about flash's pre shot routine. 

The 5 to 6 seconds is spent doing the "Jason Dufner waggle".

Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2015 11:27 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
Please allow me to reveal the truth about the about flash's pre shot routine. 

The 5 to 6 seconds is spent doing the "Jason Dufner waggle".

Haha nice one bro cheers 
I think he is doing that for 10s.
Anyway I'm trying to get rid of this 5-6s pause/waggle
Back to top Go down
Joelwong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2015 4:54 pm

I think if PM flight, better play a bit faster, if not behind flight cannot finish 18 hole by dusk
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Played with low handicappers last week.
Game is not slow now, but ready.
We had time to practise chipping at tee box/ putting on the prev green.
Sweet. 3 balls done in 4hours from blue tee. 

Thanks all!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2015 4:55 pm

Give more strokes, you will win them back....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf   Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Started losing friends - after playing SLOW golf
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next