Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Divots?

Go down 
+10
tronos
Elbry
Jliang
weesern
Roystonnn
clarencekim
Technospaz
G_Man
mUAr_cHEe
Khorkar
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Do you take Divots?
Yes
Divots? I_vote_lcap67%Divots? I_vote_rcap
 67% [ 6 ]
No
Divots? I_vote_lcap33%Divots? I_vote_rcap
 33% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 7:52 am

Recently, I had the tendencies to take Divot more often than not. Wondering if it is the case as you progress into this game.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:30 am

It is very normal for me to take divots. If i do not take divots, my shots more often than not turns out to be really weird.
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:48 am

I dont really take divots... if I dom chances are my shots will come up short...
the lack of divots is the results of evolution. I once did, but ass time passed, my body adjusted to not taking divots so that I dont have to bend over to sand fill them...

to each his own la...
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:39 am

GMan, you remind me of my friend. He whack his shots and strong hitter but he doesnt take divots. Sometime, you got to be amazed with this game. Different people different approach and style.
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:39 am

lazy bugger... no wonder ass so big.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 am

ha ha ha, MC, you jealous of his asset izit..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 am

I typically take divots with the shorter irons. Longer irons, I'm not doing so as much though it happens from time to time.
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:56 am

mUAr_cHEe wrote:
lazy bugger... no wonder ass so big.

well... what can I say... whatever!!!

heh, when we going to Osama Siaw8 again???
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 am

hahahaha...

We can do a game mid august?

Sat morning marina bay again?
Back to top Go down
clarencekim
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
clarencekim

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 am

Me used to take divots with irons all the time and hit 'fat' many times.

I found that the more I practice on driving ranges with mats (especially those hard & thin ones), the less I seem to take divots whenever I am on a golf course.

It may have something to do with my avoiding hitting bay mats at the practice ranges as it can make my left wrist painful (or injured) over a long period of time. To help prevent this, I now tee the range balls for woods & irons unless I am practicing chipping or pitching strokes.

I go to Turf City driving range with its real (cow) grass hitting surface whenever possible (used to go to Seletar army base driving range until it closed) but it is far from where I stay in the Serangoon area.

Toa Payoh & Bishan are nearest to where I stay, but they both use articficial hitting surfaces (mats).

CK
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:12 am

clarencekim wrote:
Me used to take divots with irons all the time and hit 'fat' many times.

I found that the more I practice on driving ranges with mats (especially those hard & thin ones), the less I seem to take divots whenever I am on a golf course.

It may have something to do with my avoiding hitting bay mats at the practice ranges as it can make my left wrist painful (or injured) over a long period of time. To help prevent this, I now tee the range balls for woods & irons unless I am practicing chipping or pitching strokes.

I go to Turf City driving range whenever possible (used to go to Seletar army base driving range until it closed) but it is far from where I stay in the Serangoon area.

Toa Payoh & Bishan are nearest to where I stay, but they both use articficial hitting surfaces (mats).

CK

I agree with CK on this. Some ranges use mats which are relatively padded. I think MBGC is not too bad. However, the Pelangi driving range uses way-overused mats that at times, I might as well be hitting off a thin carpet. In those situations, I tend to avoid taking divots for fear of wrecking my wrists. And to some extent, this translates to whether or not I take divots on a course.
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:17 am

in the past I do, but now don't really.
I don't know why either. Perhaps, due to changed swing tempo.

Then for my woods, in the past I don't take divot but now there is.
Really dono why leh..
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 11:49 am

last time no, now most of the time... somehow when I try to take a divot my shots seems better or consistent
Back to top Go down
Jliang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 12:08 pm

For the short-mid irons.. in order to properly compress the ball and to hit the ball on a downward strike.. it's almost impossible to do that without taking a divot.. feels more controlled if i compresses the ball.. if not it feels kinda weird.. and PAIN.. when i topped the ball..
Back to top Go down
Elbry
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Elbry

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 1:42 pm

I find that when I practise at driving range too much, I have a tendency to not do a divot, afraid of hitting the mat and hurting myself :/

When I go to an actual golf course, my coach will then scold me, why are you so afraid of making a divot in the ground???

Will I improve faster by playing one game on the golf course each week or going to the driving range twice a week instead?

hmmm
Back to top Go down
G_Man
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
G_Man

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Jliang wrote:
For the short-mid irons.. in order to properly compress the ball and to hit the ball on a downward strike.. it's almost impossible to do that without taking a divot.. feels more controlled if i compresses the ball.. if not it feels kinda weird.. and PAIN.. when i topped the ball..

Sorry, but I tend to disagree on the above comments. I would say that this comes down to a matter of personal preference. I for one, do no actively take divots, passively if a divot occurs, so does a bad shot. I am doubtful that a good golf swing requires a divot to be taken.

IMO, the best golf swing is a swing that can be repeated over and over again with a high level of consistency...
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 2:57 pm

G_Man wrote:
Jliang wrote:

Sorry, but I tend to disagree on the above comments. I would say that this comes down to a matter of personal preference. I for one, do no actively take divots, passively if a divot occurs, so does a bad shot. I am doubtful that a good golf swing requires a divot to be taken.

IMO, the best golf swing is a swing that can be repeated over and over again with a high level of consistency...

But if you top the ball over and over again with a high level of consistency, that doesn't help either Razz

I would agree that a divot isn't required for all shots. Some shots require a divot, particularly those where ball/spin control is needed and typically, these are the short irons. It doesn't mean that you'll hit a bad shot if not divot is made. It just means that if you want greater control with spin, then you'll likely see a divot after your swing.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:37 pm

i find it easier to take a divot than a clean sweep when using shorter irons. Due to the different slope and lie conditions, i find it harder to get it so accurate under the ball. Plus even with a terrible swing (dig a hole instead or a divot), i can still get a decent shot, even when i dig the club into the ground and it stayed there Embarassed . sometime will still top the ball but when i try to sweep the ball, I will almost always top it....very bad for those delicate 50m shots

the funny thing is if i aim to take a divot, instead of sweeping it with my wood or long irons, i get more accurate hit (low and straight...no slices and almost killing another golfer), instead of the ball rolling 30-40m. My best 3 wood hit is with a divot (travel 170-180m and on the green!!!!)

Maybe its just my bad swing....
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:56 pm

Technospaz wrote:

I would agree that a divot isn't required for all shots. Some shots require a divot, particularly those where ball/spin control is needed and typically, these are the short irons. It doesn't mean that you'll hit a bad shot if not divot is made. It just means that if you want greater control with spin, then you'll likely see a divot after your swing.

Why cannot spin without taking a divot?? Question
Back to top Go down
jaketang
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 5:20 pm

well from watching the pro's play, i think divots are important in golf swing. Of course we are talking about short irons or even sometimes cut shot for longer irons / even FW.

even the pro's (i think almost all?) took divots with their short irons....

but end of the day, it is where you took your divot...i ever hear b4...

Beginners / amatuer - takes divot few inches b4 the ball
Mid Hcp - takes divot close but still b4 the ball
Low / scratch - takes divot juz under or after the ball
Pro's - can even take divot 1-2 inches after the ball
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 5:56 pm

Ssquirrel wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

Why cannot spin without taking a divot?? Question

Of course can. As I said, you'll likely see a divot if you want greater control with spin. You don't have to see a divot.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 8:45 pm

For the average player, if you are trying to hit irons well, learn to hit down on the ball and take divots.

If you are more skilled and need a wider array of shots, then learn how to pick the ball clean. (watch Geoff Ogilvy hit balls or Jack Nicklaus with Paul Casey at Memorial Clinic re-runs on The Golf Channel).

Either way, you will know if you hit it flush from the sound at impact. Don't try and be cute with your strikes if you haven't perfected a standard shot. A standard divot according to the old croonie Johnny Miller on Golf Digest is about the size of a US $1 bill. Not too deep though.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:02 pm

A standard divot according to the old croonie Johnny Miller on Golf Digest is about the size of a US $1 bill. Not too deep though.[/quote]

not true, should be size of a $100 dollar bill lah, $1 bill is for........places like pink pony type
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:16 pm

Tomorrow I gota go change USDollar bill n try. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Lately, I tend to take divots (abt 1 dollar note size), from Wood to iron shots. I felt that I hit flush when with divot and have slightly extra distance from normal distance especially on short irons. Ball flight tends to be straight with slight draw.

Was in doubt if it is something which is the normal for everyone when they are progressing with their game or it is something wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Divots? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Divots?   Divots? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Divots?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next