Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?

Go down 
+6
Golf noob
TimLai
angyongshen
slinger
Turbo
billcoke
10 posters
AuthorMessage
billcoke
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? Empty
PostSubject: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 10:21 am

If I practice golf at 2nd floor of OCC driving range and the ball reach 100m mark, what is that equivalent distance at ground level? 90m?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 am

Use a Rangefinder with slope/elevation features ...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 11:02 am

TS.... u do realise that the compression of range ball is different from actual golf ball

what u hit at driving range may not be the same as on the golf course... even at level elevation

please factor that in....
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 11:38 am

At the driving range, just practise ball strike. For distance, I think better to judge on course or maybe even simulator might help with that.
Back to top Go down
TimLai
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 5:05 pm

Read once range ball is  of different quality.e wise man told me  Practice crafting instead of going for distance.
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 7:55 pm

OCC balls won't fly far one,practice ball striking and short game pitching better..Marina Bay n punggol range have better balls maybe 5-8% differential IMHO..it also varies on what kind of bullets(balls) u used when on battlefield ..
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 11:42 am

It also depends on how well you can compress the range balls. Some ppl will complain that they can't hit their 4,5,6 irons pass 160m.

the purpose of range practice shouldn't be focused on distances, but to build muscle memory through practice. Developing consistency, accuracy and tempo. Go to the range with a specific intention. Hitting hundreds of balls with the wrong swing may just reinforce bad habits that will be hard to get rid of in future.

Observe better golfers on the range and watch what they do. Pick out specific targets and treat it like you're actually playing a hole. like a par 5 so you can hit 3 shots. i.e Wood->iron->wedge.

To practice consistency and tempo, i'd line up just 3-5 balls and hit one after another with a smooth swing. dun care how far the ball goes. most important is that they all go in the same direction and trajectory. Never forcing any shots.

To practice accuracy, I'd hit driver... if drive goes left.. i'd pick out a target on the right. depending on which iron I wanna work on.. eg, 7 iron to a right pin at 140-150m. then let's say I miss right.. i'd pitch to a target on the left.  

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 2:15 pm

I rarely use the range for distances. As mentioned, it's difficult to get a good assessment of distance. What I typically do is to accept that with range balls, I'm losing about 10% of distance. You can figure out the maths backwards from there.

As for tee'ing off from a high floor, I think it's even more difficult to assess distance here. In such situations, I rarely ever use my shots as a calculator for distance. From high(er) floors, I'm more interested in making sure I can hit the ball straight. And, that alone, takes up more time than trying to figure out how far I hit the ball.
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 9:44 pm

From my recent experience, hit 6 iron on 2nd floor and it landed on 150m target... actual distance i hit on green is 160m...  so for me it is 10m shorter for range ball.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 10:12 pm

There's a way and i believe the only. Arrow
Used your own branded balls be it Slazanger, Dunlop, Srixon, Volvik, titleist etc. Wink
Can be a used ball.
But again, one must be able to strike it clear/well inorder to justify the more accurate distances.Cool
Otherwise just work on to achieve a proper/correct swing.Surprised
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 10:23 pm

hillgreen wrote:
From my recent experience, hit 6 iron on 2nd floor and it landed on 150m target... actual distance i hit on green is 160m...  so for me it is 10m shorter for range ball.

The difference could be more than 10m for some range balls depending which range as range ball is of very low compression and don't forget u hit from 2nd level. Your distance using range ball might be 140m if you hit from ground level ... Some range balls are of 1-piece construction only ... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?   How to determine the actual distance at the driving range? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to determine the actual distance at the driving range?
Page 1 of 1