Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Value for money balls

Go down 
+15
kwannick
ranctor
pug
Turbo
Kaii
mengteck71
s-killer
Denmeister
golferx
TDO
Winston
18underPar
TaylorMadeKL
chiajinhon
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chiajinhon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Value for money balls Empty
PostSubject: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello gents, 

I've been doing some research regarding brand new balls that are value for money for the past few days.

What I notice is there are two very broad categories (without going into the core construction and cover material): distance balls that spin less, and premium balls that allow more control on the greens. Of course, premium balls are premium priced. But I do notice that there are some that supposedly perform very well in terms of feel and spin, while costing only a fraction of premium price.

Which are some of the good budget performance (in terms of control on the greens) balls you are using? I just got a dozen of strata tour advanced balls today and it feels nice and soft. I've also taken some interest in Callaway hex chrome.
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 11:33 pm

Srixon soft feel, noodles..
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2014 11:42 pm

Feel that golf balls are somewhat subjective...

For me, I have been experimenting and my favourite is the Srixon AD333. Feel that it has a nice blend of distance and spin. I have tried the Srixon Soft Feel as well but still prefer the AD333.

Other balls I have tried - Taylormade Noodle Long and Soft (feels quite like the AD333 but a little harder, quite worth buying when Isetan/Taka sales comes along as they were sold at $39 for 45 balls. Currently gaming the Pinnacle Gold and still yet to make any conclusions as I have only played one game with those.

If u like really soft balls (compression below 40), try the Wilson Duo or Callaway Supersoft. They live up to their name but I still prefer a slightly harder ball, especially during putting.

Titleist Pro V1s are solid... I know it's not a value ball but the dozen I had was FOC so it's technically the best value ball for me!
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
18underPar

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 2:46 am

I've been playing Titleist PRO V1's for the longest time, but this year, I've been making the transition to the Taylormade TOUR PREFERRED X golf ball--these are more premium, so not really a value ball...

In terms of value for the money, you should definitely try out the Taylormade PROJECT A's - some industry background, the designer of the PROJECT A's is actually the designer of the original PRO V1. You're basically getting PRO V1 quality golf ball for about $30 - $35 CDN/dozen.

It's soft and spins a lot--a very very nice golf ball! Try out a sleeve Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 4:27 am

Tried many. TM, Wilson, Callaway, Srixon, Titlelist. Both new and used.

Srixon Soft feel seems to work the best for me. Dont know why but it just seems that way to me....

And I guess it helps that they are quite cheap here in Vietnam.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 8:31 am

I like Pro V1 and Sirxon Soft Feel. Use both but I use Srixon more as it's less expensive. And I don't buy new balls. Used balls are just as good considering the level of my game. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
golferx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golferx

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 9:21 am

What's about Volvik balls ? I heard some positive feedback from friends and price is reasonable too.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 9:31 am

Is Volvik made in South Korea? Have not heard much review about this brand but hearsay it's quite good. I have tried once or twice many moons ago but cannot remember how the feel is like.
Back to top Go down
golferx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golferx

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 9:33 am

TDO wrote:
Is Volvik made in South Korea? Have not heard much review about this brand but hearsay it's quite good. I have tried once or twice many moons ago but cannot remember how the feel is like.

Yes, it is S.Korea products.  I saw Pan-west is selling it.
Back to top Go down
chiajinhon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 10:00 am

TDO wrote:
Any particular model of Volvik that people are recommending?

I can only remember Volvik balls being quite hard (but dunno which model) and being very colourful like candy. when you tee it up, it doesn't look too different from a plus sized chuppa chup haha
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 10:02 am

I am a Pro V1x user. But I buy them used. So to me, that's value for money!

Contrary to the popular belief that used/pond drenched balls have compromised quality, I have been using these balls for more than 5 years and have never experienced balls disintegrate on me.  Distance wise, nope, they are just as long and just as soft as new balls.  Maybe it's because I am not very sensitive to that extra one or two yards difference.

If I manage to keep the ball for 4 games, then I will retire it into my chipping bag. Hahaaha.

Pro Vs are by far the best when attacking greens as they tend not to roll much at all. I still remember a 5i shot into a small green that actually dropped and just rolled one feet! No other balls will be able to do that.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 10:29 am

I have been using Srizon Z-Star and Volvik for the past 1 year.

They are so durable that 1 ball can last for 2 or more games without much scratches. PRO-V1/V1X will always be scratched after less than 9 holes.

I am getting about the same driving distance between Srixon, Volvik, PRO-V1/V1X. For the short game around the green, i feel that Volvik gives the shortest roll among them.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 10:33 am

golferx wrote:
TDO wrote:

Yes, it is S.Korea products.  I saw Pan-west is selling it.

Volvik Crystal Coloured are very good. Quite long and able to check on green with wedges. 3-piece ball and quite durable. Now Pan-West selling buy 1 get 1 free.  1 box retail at about $60
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 10:44 am

most 2 pc balls r about the same . a dollar or less for new
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 10:52 am

Denmeister wrote:

... Pro Vs are by far the best when attacking greens as they tend not to roll much at all. I still remember a 5i shot into a small green that actually dropped and just rolled one feet! No other balls will be able to do that
What is your take on ProV1 versus ProV1x?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 11:00 am

Turbo wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

... Pro Vs are by far the best when attacking greens as they tend not to roll much at all. I still remember a 5i shot into a small green that actually dropped and just rolled one feet! No other balls will be able to do that

Pro V1 tends to be shorter in terms of distance.  It bites more on approach n chips though.

However, If you are jabbing at your chips, the softest balls in the world won't stop either.  I have a friend who hits miles, but around the greens, his pro V's will just roll past the hole.  Learning how to create the spin is very important to harness the powers of this ball.
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 11:19 am

I was told that the spin is dependent on the material used for the cover. Specifically, the ProV1 and ProV1x have the same spin on the green. The ProV1x has more spin for driver and long irons.

For cheap and good, I recommend the Wilson Duo. GH selling 3 dozens for $60. These are soft and lots of stopping power on the green. It gives more distance as well for the first time I used these balls, my approach shots went beyond the greens.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 12:06 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

Pro V1 tends to be shorter in terms of distance.  It bites more on approach n chips though.

However, If you are jabbing at your chips, the softest balls in the world won't stop either.  I have a friend who hits miles, but around the greens, his pro V's will just roll past the hole.  Learning how to create the spin is very important to harness the powers of this ball.
Someone from another forum has this to say about ProV1 and ProV1x -

"The V1 has more spin off the driver, but less spin on wedge shots.  I'm not saying that it won't check up nicely on approaches and chips, or that you can't spin it back.  I'm just saying that the V1x has lower long game spin and more short game spin."

Hence, when you said V1 tends to give shorter distance maybe true but you need to compress the V1x really well in order to see significant distance between these two types of balls ...
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Turbo wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

Someone from another forum has this to say about ProV1 and ProV1x -

"The V1 has more spin off the driver, but less spin on wedge shots.  I'm not saying that it won't check up nicely on approaches and chips, or that you can't spin it back.  I'm just saying that the V1x has lower long game spin and more short game spin."

Hence, when you said V1 tends to give shorter distance maybe true but you need to compress the V1x really well in order to see significant distance between these two types of balls ...

I personally know that the 1x gives me longer distance than the 1.

Around the green, I am very used to the spin characteristics of the 1x.  But when I am playing at certain courses where I need the extra bite, I would switch to the 1 to achieve that.

Maybe it is just the way I swing that the 1x is giving me such results.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2014 11:04 pm

Denmeister wrote:
Quote :
I personally know that the 1x gives me longer distance than the 1.

Around the green, I am very used to the spin characteristics of the 1x.  But when I am playing at certain courses where I need the extra bite, I would switch to the 1 to achieve that.

Maybe it is just the way I swing that the 1x is giving me such results.

The Titleist folks claimed that ProV1x has compression of 100 whilst the ProV1 has compression in the high 80s ... However, the Golfsmith.com Pro said Titleist balls are not measured in compression ... scratch
Back to top Go down
18underPar
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
18underPar

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 1:55 am

Have to agree with all the comments above--same experiences with me.

With the PRO V1, it's softer and a lot more control around the greens, but doesn't go as far.
With the PRO V1X, it's a bit harder feeling, goes farther, but not as much control around the greens.

For those still playing the PRO V1/V1X, I recommend you consider trying out the TMAG Tour Preferred X golf ball - it sits in between the PRO V1 and PRO V1X. Soft, great around the greens and distance seems to have improved a little over the PRO V1.
Back to top Go down
http://www.EighteenUnderPar.com
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 7:18 am

18underPar wrote:
Have to agree with all the comments above--same experiences with me.

With the PRO V1, it's softer and a lot more control around the greens, but doesn't go as far.
With the PRO V1X, it's a bit harder feeling, goes farther, but not as much control around the greens.

For those still playing the PRO V1/V1X, I recommend you consider trying out the TMAG Tour Preferred X golf ball - it sits in between the PRO V1 and PRO V1X. Soft, great around the greens and distance seems to have improved a little over the PRO V1.

Bro -18,
The used ball market may not have this TM ball readily available yet as it is relatively new and not many people are using it.  So these balls may not be easily found in ponds and OB areas..... hahahahaa.

However, I will ask my "pimp" to look out for them.

Buying them new will go against the title of this thread. Hahahaa.
Back to top Go down
ranctor
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ranctor

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 10:08 am

s-killer wrote:
I have been using Srizon Z-Star and Volvik for the past 1 year.

They are so durable that 1 ball can last for 2 or more games without much scratches. PRO-V1/V1X will always be scratched after less than 9 holes.

I am getting about the same driving distance between Srixon, Volvik, PRO-V1/V1X. For the short game around the green, i feel that Volvik gives the shortest roll among them.
We are using the same Volvik ball but your score is definitely better. Please show me how to hit this ball properly.
Back to top Go down
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
kwannick

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 12:28 pm

pug wrote:
For cheap and good, I recommend the Wilson Duo. GH selling 3 dozens for $60. These are soft and lots of stopping power on the green. It gives more distance as well for the first time I used these balls, my approach shots went beyond the greens.

Wilson Duo is good...v soft and good feel
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't remember the answer but is better for a slower swing speed, the Pro V1 or Pro V1x?  I know titleist will say swing speed doesn't matter but I wonder what the general sentiment is....I use Pro V1 with a 91mph driver swing speed.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Value for money balls   Value for money balls I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Value for money balls
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next