Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf GPS for Iphone

Go down 
+17
pug
peterpur
Edwin
golf_snowman
sunny
peter.golfer
qtd
D_Iceman
red
LinLauPeh
JawereZ
ghoonk
first_timerz
Seiko
publica
eiji
monsterlonester
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
monsterlonester
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf GPS for Iphone Empty
PostSubject: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Is anyone using a golf GPS for iphone? I need a recommendation on which software to get.

Interested in courses like MBGC, NSRCC, Palm Resort and Horizon Hills.

Important functions are the calculation of yardages and scorecard. Additional features such as fairways %, shot distance/carry and GIR are bonus.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 3:06 pm

golf logix quite a popular software, but its base on annual subscription rates. you can also check to see if the courses u are interested in is listed there. there's a free trial
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
publica
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
publica

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 4:52 pm

I use Freecaddie. It's free. It has all the course you listed above except for Horizon hills.
I just started using it last month and use it at sembawang....it's good.
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

publica wrote:
I use Freecaddie. It's free. It has all the course you listed above except for Horizon hills.

Hi! Where u d/l this Freecaddie? from App Store?
Back to top Go down
publica
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
publica

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 5:40 pm

yes. from app store.
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 7:06 pm

publica wrote:

i got the free caddie...
but , i dun noe how to use lei..
can teach?
Back to top Go down
publica
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
publica

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm

download the course into the freecaddie.....via the download function on the program.
Then load the course by selecting load and choose the course.
Then select the hole that you are in. So let's say , you are at the first hole.
You will notice that there is 3 numbers there.

The first number is the distance between where you are standing and to the middle of the green of the first hole. The other 2 numbers is for distance to the front of the green and the other for the distance to the back of the green.

Normally here is what I do.
Before the start of the game. I load the course first. and select hole 1 (if I am starting at hole 1). Unless it is par 3, I do not look at the freecaddie when driving of the tee. At the fairway, esp for approach shot then I will look at the freecaddie prog to see what is the distance to the middle of the tee and select my clubs accordingly.
Back to top Go down
first_timerz
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2009 10:26 pm

publica wrote:
download the course into the freecaddie.....via the download function on the program.

The first number is the distance between where you are standing and to the middle of the green of the first hole. The other 2 numbers is for distance to the front of the green and the other for the distance to the back of the green.

Before the start of the game. I load the course first. and select hole 1 (if I am starting at hole 1). Unless it is par 3, I do not look at the freecaddie when driving of the tee. At the fairway, esp for approach shot then I will look at the freecaddie prog to see what is the distance to the middle of the tee and select my clubs accordingly.

oh... ok..
i will try it when i go MBGC tis coming friday...
What a Face
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 9:35 am

publica wrote:

Wow! So pro..does it really make u golf better in term of distance judgement?
Back to top Go down
publica
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
publica

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 9:58 am

Haa haa..I do not use for every hole actually but those distances that I am not so sure but more like what the distance marker say and my gut feel say is different. I use it to confirm if my gut or the distance marker is wrong.

It did help my game esp on the approach....my GIR has increase abit.....still very low but better than last time. SInce it is free , I have no complains.
Disclaimer : I use it so far on Sembawang only....will try out RCC next friday.

Please take note esp in sembawang....I think the gps is point to point distance and does not take into account the hilly nature of the course.
Back to top Go down
Seiko
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Seiko

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2009 10:01 am

Does it have this additional function to indicate where your ball flight, direction n landed? I always cant see my ball after hitting. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 4:05 pm

guys, if you are looking to get a golf GPS software for your iPhone, please note that it works MUCH better on the 3GS than the 3G. This is because 3GS has assisted-GPS which results in MUCH faster fix) while the 3G only has GPS. On my 3G, getting a fix takes almost a minute, sometimes more.

There are 2 schools of thought when choosing between GPS and laser RFs. The latter is more accurate (esp since it does not depend on pin position, whereas GPS ones assume pin position), but some will argue that most amateur aren't all that accurate from 150m out anyway (I'm one of them Razz) Smile
Back to top Go down
JawereZ
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JawereZ

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 5:57 pm

Cool, I like the freecaddie , no complaints !

thumbs UP !
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 pm

Not bad not bad... didn't know Iphone is such a powerful gadget.

Have downloaded the software and will try it out this fri at Warren.. hehe... Golf GPS for Iphone 518126
Back to top Go down
red
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:49 pm

Is there an option to get the distance reading in meters?
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:54 pm

red wrote:

Yes.. key in the distance in yards to your spreadsheet and multiply by 0.909 to get metres. Golf GPS for Iphone 793680

Just kidding... dun think there's option though I've yet to explore.
Back to top Go down
D_Iceman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
D_Iceman

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 8:18 am

Just a note on those using Golf Logix overseas, you need a data connection which can be quite costly.
Back to top Go down
publica
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
publica

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 am

red wrote:

Mine is in metres. Although I do not see any options to change it to yards or metres.....hmmm
Back to top Go down
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 9:22 am

Hey, I juz found out u can change yards to metres.
After u download e software, go to settings, freecaddie.
U can change frm there.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 9:25 am

D_Iceman wrote:
Just a note on those using Golf Logix overseas, you need a data connection which can be quite costly.

If I am not wrong, all the GPS apps for the iPhone require a data connection, so something to be careful of when playing overseas -- data roaming charges are expensive!
Back to top Go down
qtd
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:50 am

yes, i realised this after i saw my month-end phone bills. =..(
Back to top Go down
red
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 11:31 pm

LinLauPeh wrote:
Hey, I juz found out u can change yards to metres.
After u download e software, go to settings, freecaddie.
U can change frm there.

Thanks! Didn't realized there was a setting to adjust there. Managed to try Freecaddie at NSRCC par 3 today. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
peter.golfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
peter.golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 am

Cool! does it work on iPhone non-3S?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:33 am

3G yes. 2g no.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
LinLauPeh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
LinLauPeh

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:56 am

I tried it during our charity game last friday.

Pretty accurate if you minus 10m off the readings from the GPS. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf GPS for Iphone   Golf GPS for Iphone I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf GPS for Iphone
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next