Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.

Go down 
+12
bogeyman
TDO
chip_munkie
vinjess
chuangyee
Birdman
Derek
Mep
Kaii
Vrooooom2
shimizu.toruk
Golfish
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  Empty
PostSubject: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 11:16 am

Hi guys, 

Am in the market lately for a set of really good 95-100g iron shafts. 
Thus, like to hear from fellow GRians what's the best out there based on what you hear-say, you played and experienced. Much appreciated bros Smile 

Good day all!
Back to top Go down
shimizu.toruk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
shimizu.toruk

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 11:17 am

Aerotech SteelFiber is pretty hard to beat IMO
Back to top Go down
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 am

my 2 cents worth. ns pro 950 (steel) is up there...
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 12:05 pm

perhaps a matter of suitability rather than which is the best
Back to top Go down
Mep
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Mep

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 12:27 pm

UST Mamiya steel fibre, Zelos steel, tour ad graphite, fubuki alpha graphite.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Food for thought ... in general, for golf equipment, one man's meat can be another man's poison

all any of us can respond to your question, is what we felt is the best shaft for us, specific to our own swing and in most cases our own feel ...

Also, considering that in the standard trial and error process, it will take you a few times to find something you like, once you consider reshafting costs, grip costs, loss from reselling, time involved ... etc etc ... don't you think it is more efficient to go and consult a trained professional fitter?  Not to mention, the weight of the clubs heads and what it is designed to do also has an interactive effect of the shaft

Even if you have concerns that the fitter has a commercial agenda, you would arguably get better advice from someone whose livelihood depends on making good recommendations and repeat business than from the rest of us here who play golf for fun ... for whom the vast majority have never come close to breaking 80, much less be qualified to comment about what shaft fits your particular swing characteristics.

Finally, if you do decide to go for an iron shaft fitting, keep an open mind with regards to the weight of the shaft.  For all you know, your optimal shaft might be lighter (or heavier) than what you are looking for currently.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 1:14 pm

For me at least, Project X 95 Flighted trumps NS Pro 950 in my opinion, not that the latter isn't a great shaft.

Tried both on the same set of irons and the PX95 (weighs 101gm, not 95gm) felt like it unloaded uniformly without a boardy feel on the downswing and had a very solid thump at impact. The NSPro 950 felt like it had more of a whip coming down and I could feel the shaft vibrate through impact.

Ball flight wise, I preferred the PX95's more penetrating trajectory and gentle curve towards the target. The higher launching NSPro 950 had more of a J shaped flight, the ball suddenly tailing off in a small curve to the left for me.

Derek's made some great points, each person's swing is unique unto themselves where all the measurable numbers are concerned.

I always thought a lighter shaft would work better for me, but I ended up going from an 82gm graphite shaft to a 101gm steel shaft. The added 19gms let me feel the club through the takeaway and kept my elbows from breaking down at the top of my backswing.

Definitely keep an open mind.  Very Happy

Last edited by Birdman on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
chuangyee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 1:18 pm

My favourite is .... Ping CFS!
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Individual preference. For me from NS Pro 950 to current set KBS C-Taper Tour 95. End of day is the "feel" of the player Smile
Back to top Go down
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 2:23 pm

thanks bros. agreed that end of the day its always individual feel.
however, just like to hear some reviews of the different options although that particular review may only applies to that particular individual only. Still good to hear excitement/disappointment from GRians here with regard to the shafts they have tried.

Personally i have played Nspro (very high launching, plays a little softer than flex stated), Nspro modus 3 (mid launching, stable, little spin, but weighs too much), KBS C Taper 95 stiff (stable and lively but weighs too much),tour ad graphite (good kick and versatile), steelfiber (plays much stiffer but close to steel while able to dampen vibration like graphite, not too high launching),....

So many others i have not played so seeking opinions here lor....
eg, recoil, ozil program, fubuki series........ etc...

Hoping to discover what i have been missing man Smile
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Fujikura MCI irons reviews were pretty solid as well. I've played NS pro and felt the ball flight was a tad too high, px95 is awesome and currently using PXi shaft and like the ball flight, feedback and trajectory.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 3:03 pm

PXi was the stock shaft on my clubs; I loved the feel, unfortunately my swing wasn't up to the shaft as the trajectory was way too low.

That's when I hunted down the PX95s hoping to better match the shaft's performance to my swing while keeping the feel of the PXis. Now I'm a happy camper.

Different strokes for different folks indeed.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 3:11 pm

any one with experience playing the Fujikura Pro 95i?
looks really sharp man....
http://www.fujikuragolf.com/shaft/pro-irons
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 4:07 pm

One man's meat is another man's poison and I agree with Derek. That's all I can say.  Rolling Eyes I am using NS Pro 950 for my Mizuno Royal irons and Dynamic Gold Dynalite for my Dynacraft irons. And both serve me well when my game is hot. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

I have tried a few iron shafts and these are wat I have experienced based on my wimpy swing(playing off a 12 hcp):

Nspro950(Reg)- this shaft for me, shot up like a moon ball. Believe this has a pretty low kick point and I had problem when it's a head-on wind.  Easy launching thou, for those looking for height.

Nspro1050(Reg)- very nice feel indeed and this has a noticeably lower ball flight. Not too heavy static weight too for me. Much different feel compared to its more common cousin, the nspro950.

Kbs tour 90(reg)- this is oso one of the nicer feeling shafts I have tried. Not heavy(much akin to Nspro950), but had a slight tad lower ball flight for me compared to nspro950. Still a bit on the high side thou IMO. 

Kbs Tour(stiff) & Kbs Tour-V(stiff)- these for me, felt waaaaay too heavy(am kinda small frame). I believe I actually lost some distance instead. Ball flight was rather nice and penetrating thou, dats if I do hit it sweet. But way too much work needed for me. 

Aerotech Steelfiber i80reg- these shafts was indeed as wat many in GR would attest to, dat is that they are indeed pretty stable shafts and you wouldn't really know its a graphite shaft except for its weight. When hit sweet, it really does provide some bit of distance increase for me. The only thing I didn't like abt it was dat it was a tad too light for me.

Aerotech Steelfiber i110(x-stiff)- I fitted this shaft on my 6 iron juz out of curiosity to see if I could actually handle this shaft. Frankly speaking, I didn't find the weight to be much of a problem, but I found the flex a bit too stout for me. I could still launch the ball but it took too much effort and I seem to feel like I lost probably 5-8m compared to the other shafts. So no go for me.....

Dynamic Gold Superlites(R300)- I got to say, this shaft was exactly wat I was looking for. The weight of these was juz nice for me at slightly more than 100g, and yet they had the properties of the big brother, the Dynamic Gold series, without having to have Tiger Woods biceps to swing these. These had a high kick point(I can actually feel the diff compared to the rest) and it had a penetrating ball flight too. 

Sorry for loh-soh-ness, juz like to add dat above are all based on my own trial & error. I got my buddy(similar hcp) to try the i110 and DGSL shafts and he was unable to launch the ball unless he adjusted his swing to consciously hit it high. He's using nspro950 for his own shovels. To cut it short short, basically it's to each his own. Either u have access to all the diff shafts or simplest and most effective way would be to go to a reputable club fitter where u dun have to go thru blind and expensive buying and testing. 

Juz my 1 penny worth.....
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 10:35 pm

bogeyman wrote:
I have tried a few iron shafts and these are wat I have experienced based on my wimpy swing(playing off a 12 hcp):

Nspro950(Reg)- this shaft for me, shot up like a moon ball. Believe this has a pretty low kick point and I had problem when it's a head-on wind.  Easy launching thou, for those looking for height.

Nspro1050(Reg)- very nice feel indeed and this has a noticeably lower ball flight. Not too heavy static weight too for me. Much different feel compared to its more common cousin, the nspro950.

Kbs tour 90(reg)- this is oso one of the nicer feeling shafts I have tried. Not heavy(much akin to Nspro950), but had a slight tad lower ball flight for me compared to nspro950. Still a bit on the high side thou IMO. 

Kbs Tour(stiff) & Kbs Tour-V(stiff)- these for me, felt waaaaay too heavy(am kinda small frame). I believe I actually lost some distance instead. Ball flight was rather nice and penetrating thou, dats if I do hit it sweet. But way too much work needed for me. 

Aerotech Steelfiber i80reg- these shafts was indeed as wat many in GR would attest to, dat is that they are indeed pretty stable shafts and you wouldn't really know its a graphite shaft except for its weight. When hit sweet, it really does provide some bit of distance increase for me. The only thing I didn't like abt it was dat it was a tad too light for me.

Aerotech Steelfiber i110(x-stiff)- I fitted this shaft on my 6 iron juz out of curiosity to see if I could actually handle this shaft. Frankly speaking, I didn't find the weight to be much of a problem, but I found the flex a bit too stout for me. I could still launch the ball but it took too much effort and I seem to feel like I lost probably 5-8m compared to the other shafts. So no go for me.....

Dynamic Gold Superlites(R300)- I got to say, this shaft was exactly wat I was looking for. The weight of these was juz nice for me at slightly more than 100g, and yet they had the properties of the big brother, the Dynamic Gold series, without having to have Tiger Woods biceps to swing these. These had a high kick point(I can actually feel the diff compared to the rest) and it had a penetrating ball flight too. 

Sorry for loh-soh-ness, juz like to add dat above are all based on my own trial & error. I got my buddy(similar hcp) to try the i110 and DGSL shafts and he was unable to launch the ball unless he adjusted his swing to consciously hit it high. He's using nspro950 for his own shovels. To cut it short short, basically it's to each his own. Either u have access to all the diff shafts or simplest and most effective way would be to go to a reputable club fitter where u dun have to go thru blind and expensive buying and testing. 

Juz my 1 penny worth.....

Thanks bro... good info.... one question - ever tried the KBS C taper 90? What is your swing speed or distance (m) for the 7 iron. Always thought the Dynamic Gold are heavy and tough to play. Thanks again for all the great info as I am still searching for the shaft that would fit me.... : )
Back to top Go down
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 12:05 am

I ever considered the nspro 1050 stiff.
Checked the spec, it's 97g heavy which is about the same as nspro 950, but claims a lower ball flight which might just be right.
Nspro 950 does feel soft and easy to load and would be ideal if it does not balloon the ball. So sounds like nspro 1050 might just be "more ideal"??

Not expensive too so cheap and good??
Back to top Go down
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 12:06 am

Appreciate more feedback from bros here who play the nspro 1050.
Guess it's same price as nspro 950?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 10:47 am

My choice would be KBS Tour or PXi ...
Back to top Go down
bogeyman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
bogeyman

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 12:06 pm

@bro Ant- no, I have not tried the C-Tapers before but I have heard good things abt them too. Not too sure abt my swing spd but if I'm faced wif a 150m distance baring any wing conditions, I typically pull out my 7iron. 

Guess looking for the elusive perfect combo clubs is wat keeps many hooked on this game and always on the search for dat little smth to boost our own game. 

Good luck and may the force be wif Ü in your search!
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 pm

I am in the market too looking for shafts to replace the DG S200 which is too heavy for me. Some tips from my personal experience:

1. I realised that I can handle a heavier shaft for range and perhaps the first few holes. It starts to become a strain after 10-12 holes. Hence I am looking for something lighter. Getting old. In other words, the weight should be something that you can handle for all 18 holes. 

2. My irons are 0.355 taper tip. This means that I do not have much graphite shaft choices. Be aware of your iron tip size!
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Hey guys, just to share my experience on the KBS Tour 90.

The parallel tip ones comes with many options. For example a single flex can be broken down into 3 flex types. These will affect the launch and feel of the shaft.

So if you're interested in a lightweight shaft and like the KBS line, this will probably be a good option! If you want to find out more, Torque Golf at punggol offers many of these shafts to test with.
Back to top Go down
yanhaotiong
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Just just to add my personal experience. When I was going through a complete swing overhaul and swinging my 7i at around 86mph, I was playing a KBS Tour 90 regular flex. And theses didn't balloon out on me at all.

So when fitted correctly you can find the perfect weight, flex and feel combination and get your desired ball flight at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.    What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's the best 95-100g iron shaft around? Both steel and graphite.
Page 1 of 1