Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?

Go down 
+13
dreamwaters
Golfish
haragolfer
raylowwl
jB15
flashpacker
pocketace
toonified
Rafj
fatmax
yaozza07
TaylorMadeKL
rsenal
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? Empty
PostSubject: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 4:48 pm

For those who have switched from steel shaft to graphite shaft in their irons set, what have been your favorite and how has the changed help your game?

personally, I made the switch about 18 months ago and never looked back. Coming from KBS, NS Pro (SR to R flex) previously, I had a chance to try out some graphite shaft. 

Due to commitments and added workload, practicing became less and less and gold became a weekend thing to look forward to. Thus, needed something that was less demanding to enjoy the game.

Firstly, tried the roddio shaft (i8) in SR flex and MCi 80 Regular Flex. Still have both and currently sticking with the roddio. Love the kick and tight dispersion that it capable of. It demand less on myself as well to survive the whole 18 holes.

To other hackers, how has your switch helped your game? and What shafts have you tried out?
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Same case here... Combination of old age, work commitments and injuries made me switch from steel to graphite.

I used DG S300s at first... Loved the consistency and solid feel for me. Then switched to KBS C-tapers and to NS Pros... Finally gave in and installed a set of Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara Tour Spec shaft from Japan market... Love at first swing... Still had the consistency (almost) of the DG and its way lighter... Also way less harshness compared to the steel shafts... But I have to admit, I still have a set of irons on NS Pros just in case I miss them...

At one point, I even had steel shafts on my hybrids and fairways... Contemplated the driver but felt it might be way too garang...
Back to top Go down
yaozza07
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 9:17 am

I like the Steelfibers, i use KBS now but if i were to switch, it it will be them.
Back to top Go down
fatmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fatmax

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 2:40 pm

For guys whom have switched... may I ask... whats the difference in terms of tempo? 

I always feel I require some effort to swing the steelies for a crisp contact, if I do a smooth tempo-ed swing, it seems like I cannot load the steelies properly, ending in a poor contact shot.

Did I just described a "feeling" that graphites may be more suited for me?
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 5:26 pm

Same for me, because of old age, went from DG to Project X, to PXi and finally made the switch to Steelfiber i95 and now on Steelfiber J78.

My tempo has become smoother with a slightly slower swing speed but am getting better distance and much better trajectory and control......
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 7:09 pm

UST recoils. 

It just feels so stable and shot after shot it's just so predictable. 

Experience coming from nspro to steelfibre and finally to recoils.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 11:33 am

Can you share the difference in feel between Steelfiber and Recoil please?

I had SF in the past and didnt really like them. They tends to play firm to flex. 

I heard a lot about recoil. Curious how they are like. 

Now I exclusively play graphite shafts (both stock or after market - fujikura EXS) for my both sets of irons
The benefits listed in the above posts resonate with me.
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 8:59 pm

I used to play Honma 2star shafts.
Good memories.
Back to top Go down
jB15
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jB15

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 6:14 pm

I got my hands on Razr X Black Jv Spec stock R flex 65g shaft and loved it more than my US Spec 75g R flex, pity I couldn't find a set of those. Whippy and light to swing for a newbie like me.
Back to top Go down
raylowwl
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Have been using steelfiber.....now using MCI 70s.....MCI better control n dispersion better than steelfiber in my opinion .....will love to try roddio
Back to top Go down
fatmax
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
fatmax

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 8:55 pm

pocketace wrote:

I had SF in the past and didnt really like them. They tends to play firm to flex. 

Now I exclusively play graphite shafts (both stock or after market - fujikura EXS) for my both sets of irons
POCKETACE...

Seriously... Is there a difference between stock and after-market graphite shafts??? Does the stock graphites play inferior to after markets?  Or it's just a marketing hype???Question
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Mid iron shafts don't affect my stamina too much these days I find.  Mostly hybrids and driver shafts that affect my pain after the game. But well my irons start from 6 and I use 5 hybrid from everywhere. So that's just me.

Hybrids must have graphite for me, don't dare to try( read not strong enough) for steel on hybrids. Stock matrix shafts from Taylor made works so far.
Back to top Go down
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 1:59 pm

I think basileus iron shafts are superb but high price is an issue.
Back to top Go down
dreamwaters
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dreamwaters

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 11:28 pm

Like TS, I have played Kbs tour V and due to lack of time I have recently downgraded to graphite. Now with my tour ad 75R, I have gotten back my feel and tempo. It's so smooth.
Back to top Go down
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 10:15 am

Dreamwaters: did you have a big issue with the weight? Coming from KBS Tour to Tour AD 75r seems to be a big jump in weight. Whatever works I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Noriki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Noriki

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 am

Is nice to change your iron into your favourite shaft but is so expensive to do that, just imagine you change all your iron into Tour AD shaft ?
Back to top Go down
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Yes agreed, graphite shafts tend to be more pricey. Then again that has got to do with the materials and technology that it incorporates. Its your own coin and choice. 

Personally, I have tinkered way too much with various shafts offerings (steel & graphite) and at this stage, the graphites just suits my needs.
Back to top Go down
dreamwaters
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dreamwaters

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 12:21 pm

rsenal: it was a tough decision, coz I used to play steel all the way. But the game has been so frustrating for the past few months, my PRO told me, your swing speed is not fast anymore. It was so ego hurting till I told myself I need to bring it back. Steel or graphite don't matter, as long as I play well.
Back to top Go down
dreamwaters
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
dreamwaters

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Noriki wrote:
Is nice to change your iron into your favourite shaft but is so expensive to do that, just imagine you change all your iron into Tour AD shaft ?
I got a good price from Spencer, and the satisfaction is really worth it!

I do like the Tour AD MT Colour (Yellow)!
Back to top Go down
Noriki
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Noriki

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 2:55 pm

dreamwaters wrote:
Noriki wrote:
I got a good price from Spencer, and the satisfaction is really worth it!

I do like the Tour AD MT Colour (Yellow)!

How good? Mind to share the damage or pm me.
Back to top Go down
Atiqidris
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Atiqidris

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share the success story that we have had for Graphite Shafts for irons. Many golfers seem to find the long irons are harder to launch (3 & 4 iron especially). 

So what we advise is the long irons can be fitted with a lighter shaft and soft butt / tip profile.

We have a lot of the Tour AD irons mainly to help golfers perform better with the longer irons.

Feel free to come over to try some of the Tour AD / Graphite shafts that can work well. Also, we can compare the numbers using Trackman / Flightscope / K-Vest / Boditrak for detailed numbers.

Among the colors that we have are Yellow MJ, Orange DI / DJ, Blue, Baby Blue, Black, Pink (50g, 65g, 75g, 85g).

Lastly, if the graphite shafts tend to be a tad soft, we can gear up the irons with Steelfiber Shafts (a composite of Steel + Graphite) in 68g, 78g, 88g, 108g.

Let us know how we can be of any help and for the testing of shafts, they are complimentary for GR friends Smile 

Cheers everyone... Atiq (Big Fish Golf International - Bukit Merah Central)
Back to top Go down
rsenal
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
rsenal

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks Atiq for the offer.

I can relate to the ease of launch with graphite and I suppose that would relate to the certain flex points of the shaft.

Could you also confirm whether a graphite shaft could also help with dispersion albeit playing / feeling soft compared to steel shaft.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Atiqidris
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Atiqidris

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 3:29 pm

rsenal wrote:
Thanks Atiq for the offer.

I can relate to the ease of launch with graphite and I suppose that would relate to the certain flex points of the shaft.

Could you also confirm whether a graphite shaft could also help with dispersion albeit playing / feeling soft compared to steel shaft.

Thanks in advance.
Hey there rsenal,

Thanks for the question.

Every shaft has a bend profile, the dispersion factor comes in depending on how robust and how low the torque the specific shaft is. We do not want the shaft to be too low torque either, for irons, we do want a nice high and soft land into the green.

With that being said, it does not mean that graphite shafts will determine a wide spread or narrow dispersion, it boils down to how fast the swing speed, smash factor and efficiency of the golfers shot.

The best scenario is we let the golfers try both steel and graphite, then the results will show, how much that particular shaft (let it be steel or graphite) will affect the club path (due to weight).

On an important note, golf coaching does take time but its also rewarding to have better swing mechanics. Our part as a fitter, can help that extra yardage and performance through 18 holes.. not getting tired early (with lighter clubs)... ball keeps going right (shaft may be too stiff) ... ball goes left (shaft may be too soft)... 

It really depends Smile 

but one thing for sure, we will do what ever it takes.. to help optimise every golfers game..

* Atiq *
Back to top Go down
toonified
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 5:25 pm

pocketace wrote:

Very predictable flight, tight control and dispersion. Very stable. 
I'm not good with words/description, but I feel much more in control than when using SF. 

To quote a buddy of mine: as long as your swing don't go haywire, shot after shot it's like a carbon copy.
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 10:09 pm

IMHO,

although the Steelfibers are lighter, i personally feel that they have a much tighter dispersion when compared to the NS Pro shafts that i used to play in the past.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?   Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Graphite shaft (irons) users: whats your favourite?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next