Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round

Go down 
+10
TaylorMadeKL
blanketz
garethgjw
bomby
nrafee
blackpool_04
beehome
antGolf
chip_munkie
oldie-newbie
14 posters
AuthorMessage
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round Empty
PostSubject: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 9:54 am

hi all,

Am an old fogie (40s) just took up golf. having lessons at MBGC and on my 6th lesson now. Can swing and get the ball airborne, did some chipping and wedge use so am slightly confident can try a course.

anyone here (my age group best) willing to let me join their flight, local or bintan / batam / JB? Have no PC or handicap so guess choices are very limited. SHould be getting my PC in 2 to 3 weeks, coach say no problem.

Must be patient one hor, coz i simi also dunno and balls may fly all over the shop one. Should I start with 9 holes first? Old man wait go 18 holes heart attack. As it is, body damn stiff and cannot turn properly . . .been aching for past 2 weeks le.

MGBC also can I go take a swing test.

can do anytime (take leave lah).
Back to top Go down
chip_munkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
chip_munkie

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 10:10 am

Haha welcome to the forum oldie-newbie.. You can start out trying on the par3 executive courses which are 9 holes, you can get a feel of playing on green and it's only 9hole so u can test water on your stamina.. For 18h, they require either a handicap or at least a PC card and or swing test before allowing you on the green. Best is Malaysia for weekdays (less busy) and generally the pace is more relax.. SG courses can be quite intimidating to some where marshals will hurry you along to keep up with the pace of play.

Enjoy the game!
Back to top Go down
antGolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 am

You can try out the Jurong Country Club Exectuive course. 5 holes x 2 round. Score card cannot be used to submit for handicap. The course is wide and good for practicing.
Back to top Go down
beehome
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
beehome

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 10:24 am

Hi old fogie, Welcome to GR! The best place for everything related to golf and more Smile

I started golf in my 40s too so I feel ur pain but no worries. It is good that u started with a coach. Learn the proper swing and as a result minimise injuries. The normal aching pain will slowly go away as you become fitter provided u don't put back after the game with beer and more food haha.....

Enjoy the journey and make plenty of friends!  cheers 
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 10:31 am

hmm . . .wow all so fast response. no need to work ah !?!?1  Very Happy 

For NSRCC and Jurong, both need membership for the executive course? they have flights or just play alone? Sorry noob questions hopefully not stupid.

Both no need PC or handicap? I give them a call see how.

If can play alone will be good also, self reflection time haha
Back to top Go down
blackpool_04
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 11:06 am

for the NSRCC par 3 executive course (at changi), don't need membership, PC or handicap, but you'll need to take a swing test. no flights per se, so you can just walk in, pay, take swing test and play on your own....
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 11:37 am

hmmm . . . I spoke to a lady at NSRCC, need minimum PC for the Par 3 course.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 12:03 pm

oldie-newbie wrote:
Hi, quite certain you can do a swing test at the range. 
Unless they have changed the rules.
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 12:18 pm

oldie-newbie wrote:

Not that I know of... just go to the range and do a swing test which will last for 6 months I think.

But its a par 3 course. I would suggest you go Mandai or Champion on weekday to try out, at least they have par 4 and 5. And generally ppl are more relax there Else if you want to go full 18h in SG.. then u need to know when to stop. Sometimes in SG, ppl here quite impatient..

i.e. if you are already playing double par.. pick up and go. 
If your ball is lost.. just drop one and go.. 
only take one provisional ball.. and move on. 
Play your most trusted iron for 2nd shot.. dun try to go for the green, this way you will have the highest chance to advance the ball forward.. be realistic
Be ready to play when its your turn.. and keep up with the flight in front.

If you dun want to be rushed... go JB or Bintan/Batam.
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 2:45 pm

thanks for all the responses, been really helpful.

I'll try the NSRCC one of these days, maybe the girl anyhow tell me one. I go down personally and verify.

Looks like i have to wait a few more weeks to get my PC then can play at MBGC. 

Anyone playing pleaseeeee jio (in 2.5 weeks time)  Razz
Back to top Go down
garethgjw
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
garethgjw

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi bro oldie-newbie, welcome to GR!

From what i remember for NSRCC, if you do not have a PC, you only need to take a swing test. The course conditions are pretty good so it's a nice place to start off.

Conditions are not too good for Mandai (imho) so personally I avoid. But still ok to play if you stay nearby.

All in all, enjoy the game as much as we GRians do and maybe if you're up for it we can have a friendly game together soon!
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 21, 2014 4:40 pm

garethgjw wrote:
Hi bro oldie-newbie, welcome to GR!

From what i remember for NSRCC, if you do not have a PC, you only need to take a swing test. The course conditions are pretty good so it's a nice place to start off.

Conditions are not too good for Mandai (imho) so personally I avoid. But still ok to play if you stay nearby.

All in all, enjoy the game as much as we GRians do and maybe if you're up for it we can have a friendly game together soon!

Yep, have decided to go down to the NSRCC EC this friday morning. See ow it goes. Not sure what is the process like. Hopefulyl not crowded.

Play I sure up one, only thing is no PC, no handicap . . no nothing. sianz . . .
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 11:59 am

ok went to NSRCC Par 3 Executive course yesterday. 9am and I was the only one. Very nice course and wonderful walk though the uphills etc is killing my legs. Lost a few balls mostly into water.

Confirm no need PC / handicap. Just take a swing test (range guy gave me 4 balls) and as long as can launch they ok. Issued a card valid for 6 months.

Will go there again next week. I think its a good practive ground for short game and for those tryign to gain course experience.
Back to top Go down
blanketz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 pm

oldie-newbie wrote:
ok went to NSRCC Par 3 Executive course yesterday. 9am and I was the only one. Very nice course and wonderful walk though the uphills etc is killing my legs. Lost a few balls mostly into water.

Confirm no need PC / handicap. Just take a swing test (range guy gave me 4 balls) and as long as can launch they ok. Issued a card valid for 6 months.

Will go there again next week. I think its a good practive ground for short game and for those tryign to gain course experience.
 HI!  cheers 

I think I saw you behind me yesterday at the Par 3 Executive course. I was the lady in front with my coach. hahaha....

I am equally noob. Lost a few balls here and there also. But I was quite impressed how nice the course it. 

The 1st time I went, I didn't rent the trolley and I had to carry my bag. Very xiong. With the trolley this time, it is much better. hahaha...
Back to top Go down
TaylorMadeKL
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TaylorMadeKL

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi oldie-newbie,

I also dont have PC or HC... been playing for slightly more than a year but nvr really got formal lessons. Learnt from a friend who was a PGA coach when he was in the states...

Anyway, I mostly play Mandai and Champions... Quite nice also... For full courses, I usually go to Bintan or Batam... consider those as my holiday too...

Anyway, welcome to the golfing fraternity and happy swinging!
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 2:13 pm

oldie-newbie wrote:

Hmm, I thought the NSRCC Executive and AirForce course was being closed?? When are they open until?

Another place you can try is Mandai executive, go weekday not too bad, get a feel of a 'rough' course (as opposed to a 'nice' course like NSRCC Par 3) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 4:03 pm

I heard end of this year closing. 

I looking for people to go with me to an actual 18 hole sometime. Anyone got games coming up and dun mind bring uncle and can tahan me holding up the game let me know k, but I no PC or handicap Swing test I can pass no problem so MBGC also can.
Back to top Go down
Kaii
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 4:13 pm

I am still very old school,

what my coach said - hit 10,000 balls or till u hit it well before u go in the course

I did hit more than 10k , 500 a night for months and yet I couldn't handle the course.

I still try to go the range once a week
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
paul@golf

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 4:40 pm

hi guys, why not join us & support our GR game @ Palm Springs? with those caddies there, u will be enjoying yur virgin 18 holes while making new friends in no time! check tis out; http://www.golfrepublic.org/t28152p45-gr-game-at-palm-springs-batam-16th-august-saturday#434215
Back to top Go down
oldie-newbie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 pm

paul@golf wrote:
hi guys, why not join us & support our GR game @ Palm Springs? with those caddies there, u will be enjoying yur virgin 18 holes while making new friends in no time! check tis out; http://www.golfrepublic.org/t28152p45-gr-game-at-palm-springs-batam-16th-august-saturday#434215

Thanks Paul. Need handicap? I don't mind joining if if guys ok for a beginner to join if still got slot
Back to top Go down
paul@golf
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
paul@golf

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 pm

bro, as u mentioned u can get pass @ mbgc, u can golf @ palm springs for sure, wi caddy assistance & bring a few more balls too  Wink

u guys can form a flight & as 1 of our gd bro EW said, wi mloy our organiser, who dare ask for hcp?!  lol!
Back to top Go down
Gymrat76
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 6:24 pm

Palm Springs have never asked for handicap all the times I've been there. In fact outside of Singapore, nobody has asked to see my handicap card at all!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2014 6:51 pm

paul@golf wrote:
bro, as u mentioned u can get pass @ mbgc, u can golf @ palm springs for sure, wi caddy assistance & bring a few more balls too  Wink

u guys can form a flight & as 1 of our gd bro EW said, wi mloy our organiser, who dare ask for hcp?!  lol!
Paul, u never heard, losing your virginity must give her 7-7 first game with her. ROFL 

Anyway, nowadays seldom heard clubs even local wanna see hcp??? Guess they knew even bo, they'll tell u have. As long as the player got a decent pace of play. Then it's ok.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round   Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello - Beginner looking for my virgin round
Page 1 of 1