Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…

Go down 
+18
olivewine
enwee
mloy
timlim
haragolfer
GooGie
blee67
Technospaz
EastCoastHack
flashpacker
weesern
asahi
richarccctan
willytan
swine
meia07656
chien
Nam Flog
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… Empty
PostSubject: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 10:58 pm

Nothing annoys the average golf more than a slow round. I play the vast majority of my golf on popular public courses and thus am certainly no stranger to 5 hour + rounds.
One of the biggest problems with a “slow” group of golfers is that unless they’re really proactively paying attention to their own pace of play they can be playing incredibly slow without feeling like their actually playing slow and holding up the whole course. This is because slow play usually boils down to each player taking just a few more seconds than they should for each shot. On their own those few extra seconds go unnoticed, but across every swing in a foursome over 18 holes those seconds add up quickly.
Consider a foursome of average weekend golfers where every player takes on average just 9 extra seconds per shot. Assuming each player takes 100 strokes in a round the math is as follows:
9 seconds x 100 strokes x 4 players = 3,600 extra seconds or 1 extra hour per round!
9 extra seconds is not having your club chosen while waiting for others to hit their shot. 9 extra seconds is not discretely reading your putt while others are putting.
Obviously the above calculation is a bit of a simplification of the issue, but the point remains that playing ‘ready golf’ and shaving literally just a few seconds here and there is really all it takes to speed up play in most cases. Now convincing everyone on a course to do that… that’s a whole different ballgame!

http://www.golfdiary.net/blog/my-golf-philosophy/
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… Empty
PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Haha..

You must have had a 6 hours round today mate….   HELP
Back to top Go down
meia07656
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 7:32 am

Excellent post. Keep up with the group in front. 
Another thing, if you can't drive 200m, you sure as hell ain't hitting a wood or hybrid 250+m.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 8:02 am

Also be honest to yourself that you are not good enough to play from blue tee box. You enjoy the game more playing off white.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 8:55 am

I am considering integrating a rangefinder and also Aimpoint into my golf game.

Both will definitely add more than 9 seconds per shot to my play. So have to find some other ways to keep the game fast and chase the group in front.

Any people who use either or both find that they take longer each shot? How do you overcome it.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 9:10 am

I just started using range finder and I dun use it every hole; only for certain location where I need to check its exact distance. I will use it while my buggy buddy is playing a shot or I will drive up to my shot which is usually a few meters away to prepare for my shot. 

As long as u dun keep on using your rangefinder on every shot trying to pin each and every hazard or bunker, u will be completing the game within time.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 am

Doesn't matter whether you are using aimpoint or any other green reading methods, dun expect to 1 putt from all corners of the green; anywhere within 1.5 putter length is a good putt for a social golfer who dun play regularly nor practice on the putting green.

IMHO, putting is about estimating the line, good putting tempo and good strength control so that your ball will roll into the hole with some speed and even if it misses, it will still be within a simple tap in.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:39 am

Nam Flog wrote:
I am considering integrating a rangefinder and also Aimpoint into my golf game.

Both will definitely add more than 9 seconds per shot to my play. So have to find some other ways to keep the game fast and chase the group in front.

Any people who use either or both find that they take longer each shot? How do you overcome it.

Hey mate

I strongly encourage you to get a range finder. ..
I think it is one of the most under rated equipment. 

Why?  There's a lot of difference between 70 m and 80 m. Many times when you estimate a 110m to pin. It may only be 100m.  And because of the inaccuracy you shoot over the green, maybe into the rough or hazards.. You have to take another shot. . Maybe so unfortunate you duff it and another shot again etc etc.. Instead of spending an extra 30 second getting the correct distance on the range finder and shooting at the pin you may end up taking another extra 5 minutes due to hazards etc....

Thus it may actually be faster using a range finder compared to not using one. ..

We don't see it often but the fact is even Pro rely heavily on range finders. . Not just during their games but even on the range! 

I personally cut down at least 5 strokes since I started using one... And I play a round under 4 hours when there's no flight in front. .

cheers
Back to top Go down
richarccctan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 11:48 am

Nam Flog wrote:

i also use rangefinder during the game.  I usually walk faster, get ready before my turn, once done with my turn, drive off the buggy with the club still in my hand to the next hole, then keep the last used club and get the next club ready while waiting for my turn  flower
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:14 pm

chien wrote:

Hey mate

Why?  There's a lot of difference between 70 m and 80 m. Many times when you estimate a 110m to pin. It may only be 100m.  And because of the inaccuracy you shoot over the green, maybe into the rough or hazards.. You have to take another shot. . Maybe so unfortunate you duff it and another shot again etc etc.. Instead of spending an extra 30 second getting the correct distance on the range finder and shooting at the pin you may end up taking another extra 5 minutes due to hazards etc....

Thus it may actually be faster using a range finder compared to not using one. ..

We don't see it often but the fact is even Pro rely heavily on range finders. . Not just during their games but even on the range! 

I personally cut down at least 5 strokes since I started using one... And I play a round under 4 hours when there's no flight in front. .

cheers
Good stuff.

Waiting for my coll to go US in July. Planning to get a cheap one to start and try. Maybe Medalist.

What are the chances of losing it on the course? You walk to your ball from the cart path, shoot laser, put it down beside you and take your shot, then walk back to cart?? I have lost clubs in this manner before.

If walking with trolley then will be much safer.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:25 pm

I am a bit iffy on rangefinder here.

Have seen a few golfers taking so much time fiddling with the object....no wonder the round takes so long. 

To cut short on time taken, play ready golf.....always be ready when it's your turn to hit.
Back to top Go down
willytan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
willytan

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Forgetting the rangefinder;

I usually pull out my RF then go to my ball and pin my target, then walk back to the cart while my buddy is taking his shot all within a min; all the while going thru my mind what club to chose n what shot to play.

If not, I will just shoot n put my RF into my pocket b4 playing the shot as I tend to be a little absent minded and totally forget abt it. I left my golfbuddy voice on the buggy the other time at NSRCC changi as my frd was rushing me. 

But has to be a blessing in disguise so that I can buy myself a RF to replace my GB voice.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 3:03 pm

take maybe 3 clubs and walk over to the ball... one of them should give u the correct distance
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 3:58 pm

richarccctan wrote:
Nam Flog wrote:

i also use rangefinder during the game.  I usually walk faster, get ready before my turn, once done with my turn, drive off the buggy with the club still in my hand to the next hole, then keep the last used club and get the next club ready while waiting for my turn  flower

Good tip to shorten the time! cheers
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
chien wrote:

Hey mate

cheers
Good stuff.

Waiting for my coll to go US in July. Planning to get a cheap one to start and try. Maybe Medalist.

What are the chances of losing it on the course? You walk to your ball from the cart path, shoot laser, put it down beside you and take your shot, then walk back to cart?? I have lost clubs in this manner before.

My stand is still, take your time to get the correct distance and play your shot when ready.. I have seen many beginners in a rush to hit the ball.. In the end, they have to take more shots than necessary and thus wasting more time.. Just watch the Pro, they take a detailed pre shot routine, but their round is no more than 4 hours…

IMHO, dont rush in taking the shot even though we would like to play a fast round.. Rather take lesser shot if possible ….   cheers
Back to top Go down
richarccctan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Nam Flog wrote:

The RF comes with a pouch / casing, which you can loop it onto your belt.  It will always be with you. Use it, put it back into the pouch / casing, hit the ball, walk fast to the buggy, then drive off to the next hole  cheers
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 7:49 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
chien wrote:

Hey mate

cheers
Good stuff.

My stand is still, take your time to get the correct distance and play your shot when ready.. I have seen many beginners in a rush to hit the ball.. In the end, they have to take more shots than necessary and thus wasting more time.. Just watch the Pro, they take a detailed pre shot routine, but their round is no more than 4 hours…

Not sure how far your buggy is to the ball, if its like buggy on track, then it makes sense to take 3 clubs, the RF, and the sand bottle, walk to the ball, shoot the distance (just 5 seconds for this), pick the correct club and put the rest all together, practice swing, and put the ball where you want it.. 

IMHO, dont rush in taking the shot even though we would like to play a fast round.. Rather take lesser shot if possible ….   cheers
Back to top Go down
EastCoastHack
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
EastCoastHack

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 7:16 am

asahi wrote:

To cut short on time taken, play ready golf.....always be ready when it's your turn to hit.

+1. And if it is safe and your flightmates are OK with it, be ready to hit if no one else is to save time. Google "ready golf" for ideas.

And FWIW the rangefinder is also good tool to learn distances and train your eyes. You don't have to use it all the time. Sometimes mine stays in the bag for the whole round.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 1:25 pm

I like my rangefinder. I like how it tells me that I'm 112m to the flag only for me to embarrassingly shank my ball 30m to the right. I like how my flightmates fall over and laugh after I do so. And I like how I pound them to bits with my rangefinder thereafter.

"A ball will always come to rest halfway down a hill, unless there is sand or water at the bottom." Henry Beard
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Technospaz wrote:
I like my rangefinder. I like how it tells me that I'm 112m to the flag only for me to embarrassingly shank my ball 30m to the right. I like how my flightmates fall over and laugh after I do so. And I like how I pound them to bits with my rangefinder thereafter.

And thus my friend, you now know why I am so afraid to play with you...  What a Face
Back to top Go down
meia07656
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Now how to make the range finder alarm your flight mates who is 30m to your right to duck for cover?
Back to top Go down
GooGie
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
GooGie

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 2:29 pm

I tend to agree with Asahi that RF's more often than not slow the average golfer down

When it's someone's turn to play they should have already processed all the shot information you need (distance, wind and club selection etc.) and be starting their pre shot routine once the last played ball has come to a stop.

Far too many golfers begin the process of gathering and processing information only after it has become their turn to play. Then add the time needed for a pre shot routine and it can lead to a minute or more per shot whilst everyone is waiting for them to play.

I'm also not sure by taking more time you are likely to have a better score. Lets say your average score is 100 and it takes you say 1 minute to play each shot, that's 100 minutes of people waiting for you to hit. If you took 20 seconds longer per shot by thinking you would improve by 20 shots (a massive improvement from shooting 80 against your normal 100) it would add 6 minutes extra to the time people are waiting for you to hit during the round (80 shots x 80 seconds each)!! Conversely if you sped up and took 20 seconds less per shot and played a poor 120, you could save everyone 20 minutes of waiting!
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:11 pm

more likely, slowness is a result of making poor decisions.  I may suggest even, that clear simple decisions we make on line and target that we can commit to will result in faster golf.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t24743-hurry-hurry-hara-sale-matrix-shaft-50-adams-head-free#395807

"I have an army"

"we have a Hulk"
Back to top Go down
meia07656
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 3:46 pm

haragolfer wrote:
more likely, slowness is a result of making poor decisions.  I may suggest even, that clear simple decisions we make on line and target that we can commit to will result in faster golf.
That may be a factor but imho slowness is mainly caused by:
1)Checking email/ SMS
2)Sitting in buggy until front group leaves then get out to do routine.
3) Taking phone calls
4) Spend time cleaning your clubs instead of getting in and cleaning them when buggy mate hits.
This does not include everyone who waits so long because they think they hit like Tiger but in reality their swing speed should measured by a sundial.
Back to top Go down
timlim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2014 4:15 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned taking too long to look for lost balls in the bushes / rough / hazards etc...

Also, a 5-foot putt can take a lot longer to line up and hit than a 150m iron! Especially when there is some $$$ on the table Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…   The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot… I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The difference between a 4 hour round and 5 hour round is 9 seconds per shot…
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next