Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back to Golf after 10 years

Go down 
+2
kwannick
Maplelite
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Maplelite
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Back to Golf after 10 years Empty
PostSubject: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi all, I am on a project of refurbishing an old and worn 3-P,AW,SW pcs forged iron set pass down by my old man.

I would like to know which of the following finishing is recommended:

- Hard Nickel
- Melonite
- Black Boron

In case anyone is curious why I don't purchase another new set, I actually did look around and found a similar design set but the price is so  affraid 

Got itchy again after 2 round of golf overseas with my dad and brothers. So mission this year is to get back my swing and refurbish the heads this year.
Back to top Go down
kwannick
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
kwannick

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 12:26 pm

I suspect that you will grow tired of your set before too long if you are going to play more this year. My suggestion is to play with them until then. Whatever savings made on refurbishing the old clubs can be applied to your next set of clubs.
Back to top Go down
Maplelite
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Don't think so ba, I even went to look for the same design le. Most likely the saving made will be spent on fitting.

Thanks for your suggestion though.
Back to top Go down
kyleyann
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kyleyann

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2014 4:27 pm

In regards to re-furnishing, I would assume those old, worn, forged groves of your irons will be rendered worse in respect to impart spin on the ball due to the replating. You might want to find out more.
Back to top Go down
Maplelite
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 01, 2014 3:42 am

I am going to send to cnc shop to do some precise milling, sandblast and lastly plating/coating. I pretty troubled by the last part even though I did google quite a bit. 

High tensile strength and scratch resistance don't seem to exist together.
Back to top Go down
kentan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kentan

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 8:41 am

interesting project, how old are these clubs ?
Back to top Go down
eqtrend
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 10:45 am

it would be great to see old clubs restored, but CNC milling, sand blasting and  re plating sound very expensive... especially in Singapore.....

can you share before and after pix of you club when its done?

thx
eqtrend
Back to top Go down
Maplelite
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2014 5:11 pm

@kentan,
Definitly more than 10 years, Can't be exact with how old it is. Conductor Pro blade with orange wording(with "Maruman Sole" wording as well).

@egtrend, 
I didn't take any picture before I send for sandblasting so the pictures I could provide is after sandblasting to finished.

Milling for is only for badly worn groove of S wedge, the rest of the club only need some light sanding to ensure surface flatness(since I am doing plating, might as do it thoroughly). Plating/Plasma will cost a bit though unless you can gather some guys who wanted to do the same finish to share cost.
Back to top Go down
Joelwong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 10:19 am

Looking forward to see the pictures
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back to Golf after 10 years   Back to Golf after 10 years I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back to Golf after 10 years
Page 1 of 1