Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How soft is soft?

Go down 
+12
enwee
Nam Flog
Technospaz
nutty88
goh.YF.52
akhild
neutralgolfer
asahi
stickman
pocketace
Batman
leobody
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
leobody
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 8:35 am

How soft is soft when comparing with forged and cast?
When I have a good compression on the golf ball with my cast iron.. it feels soft.. so will the forge be even softer?
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 am

I guess before we come to that, we should evaluate how often one gets "good compression"
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 9:00 am

Some forged irons may feel a bit 'clicky' at impact at sweet spot, not necessarily 'buttery soft' kinda feeling. 

It really depends on the design and type of forging

Given how well clubs are designed and made these days, I don't deny sweet spot hits even on cast can also feel 'soft'

I guess it's all about feedback and feel (both pretty subjective IMHO) you get from forged irons which some claim is absent from cast clubs. Of course we all know forged irons are more easy to bend for lie and loft to custom fit to individual swing and physique.

If your current irons are not delivering the results (distance, trajectory, feel, shot shaping etc) you desire, then it's time to cure the itch!  cheers
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 9:08 am

Hi, Thought I share this youtube that I came across. It is from Mark Crissfield. Sorry, I don't know how to link the video directly to this tread, so the lonk is as below.

Title: Golf Video What is Feel AskGolfGuru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rs6896jkoM

Happy watching
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 9:09 am

No matter forged or cast irons, once you hit the sweet spot.
Feeling will be soft soft de.

But for most players, I feel the concern should be whether the shots are going where you intend them to, first And foremost. The feel part can come later.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 am

Cast irons are harder and forged irons are softer, in theory forged irons will definitely feel softer if everything else remain constant, same hit spot, same golf ball. etc.
Back to top Go down
akhild
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
akhild

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 10:08 am

embedding for the bro..

Back to top Go down
leobody
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 2:08 pm

I'm using a TM burner 1.0 with steel fiber I80. 
Most of my shots on range will have the soft feeling with no 'clicking' sound. The sound is kinda sweet.
I'm not a full swinger type of golfer.

Guess I have to try a forge iron to compare with.
Back to top Go down
goh.YF.52
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
goh.YF.52

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 2:28 pm

For me i buy forged irons so that i can bent them without fearing to break them. Cast irons are said to be more prone to breaking. But it is good to use standard specs GI or 'distance' or forgiving irons to cut some strokes, however most are cast.
Back to top Go down
leobody
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 6:04 pm

So are the mizuno 's softer than most forged?
Let's say talking about the MP Series.
how about the AP2 compare with MP? 
Anyone can share?
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 6:40 pm

If you hit it sweet, it will feel soft regardless of forge or cast.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 6:50 pm

nutty88 wrote:
If you hit it sweet, it will feel soft regardless of forge or cast.

I have to agree. I've played with cast irons and when I hit the sweet spot, it feels just as good as a forged iron. With forged irons, however, missing the sweet spot slightly will still give you a nice feeling. But hitting it pure will be heavenly.

Seriously, forged or cast... if you don't hit it right, feel amounts to nothing. If anything, you'll just feel frustrated.
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 8:29 pm

If go back to the manufacturing process, casting means making stainless steel into a liquid and then pouring it into a mould. In-expensive and economical process. Think about making ice in a freezer. There will be tiny microscopic bubbles trapped inside the molten steel, no matter how carefully you pour it. These bubbles hinder in transmitting the "feel" back up into your hands. They also cause inconsistencies when the ball hits exactly the same spot on the club face. To add on, stainless steel is typically harder than carbon steel.

Forging means heating the carbon steel until it is malleable enough to be hammered and pressed into the intended shape. No bubbles. The structure is very tight and consistent. All the molecules are packed so closely together, the vibrations from impact are fed back into your hands in a very pure and dense manner. Carbon steel is typically softer than stainless steel. Together, these create the "soft" feeling.

But there is a chance all this theory and knowledge could lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy. E.g. you pick up a forged iron for the very 1st time, knowing that it is a purer, more expensive, better manufactured piece of club. Then you hit one on the sweet spot and immediately "Wow that feels so much better than my cast irons at home!". Anyway "feel" is like satisfaction, there are no units of measurement and hence can be very very subjective.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 8:43 pm

Buy buy buy buy buy!!!!
Mai tu Liao!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2014 11:57 pm

Nam Flog wrote:
If go back to the manufacturing process, casting means making stainless steel into a liquid and then pouring it into a mould. In-expensive and economical process. Think about making ice in a freezer. There will be tiny microscopic bubbles trapped inside the molten steel, no matter how carefully you pour it. These bubbles hinder in transmitting the "feel" back up into your hands. They also cause inconsistencies when the ball hits exactly the same spot on the club face. To add on, stainless steel is typically harder than carbon steel.

Forging means heating the carbon steel until it is malleable enough to be hammered and pressed into the intended shape. No bubbles. The structure is very tight and consistent. All the molecules are packed so closely together, the vibrations from impact are fed back into your hands in a very pure and dense manner. Carbon steel is typically softer than stainless steel. Together, these create the "soft" feeling.

But there is a chance all this theory and knowledge could lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy. E.g. you pick up a forged iron for the very 1st time, knowing that it is a purer, more expensive, better manufactured piece of club. Then you hit one on the sweet spot and immediately "Wow that feels so much better than my cast irons at home!". Anyway "feel" is like satisfaction, there are no units of measurement and hence can be very very subjective.
Great explanation. Bro nam flog must be some engineer. Material engineer ?
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 7:45 am

pocketace wrote:
Buy buy buy buy buy!!!!
Mai tu Liao!!!!!!
Cannot go shopping with this guy.....
Back to top Go down
Nam Flog
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 7:49 am

enwee wrote:
Great explanation. Bro nam flog must be some engineer. Material engineer ?
Enwee,

It's what I remember about science in secondary school. Solid, liquid and gases? And how they change from one state to another? Lol some things just stick inside your head and some things just don't.

But yes I was an engineer in discipline. Mechanical.

Cannot make money one leh.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
leobody
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 am

Nam Flog wrote:
pocketace wrote:
Buy buy buy buy buy!!!!
Mai tu Liao!!!!!!
Cannot go shopping with this guy.....
Haha... definitely agree.. confirm hole in the pocket
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 9:02 am

My view is more on design than material. Cast can be moulded to game improving irons but forged are mostly with thinner top line or sole because harder to make big cavity back. if you have the same design irons with both cast and forged, i bet you cant tell the difference.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 am

Just buy lah, guys

It is an emotional purchase, let's not get too scientific 

Unless its meant to justify investing on another set of irons

Just go with the heart, not the head

Deep down you wanted that set of forged irons in the bag

C'mon you really wanna... Just do it!

If it doesn't work out, just post in the Marketplace lor!
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 9:39 am

pocketace wrote:
Just buy lah, guys

It is an emotional purchase, let's not get too scientific 

Unless its meant to justify investing on another set of irons

Just go with the heart, not the head

Deep down you wanted that set of forged irons in the bag

C'mon you really wanna... Just do it!

If it doesn't work out, just post in the Marketplace lor!

+1
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 9:54 am

odyssey23 wrote:
My view is more on design than material. Cast can be moulded to game improving irons but forged are mostly with thinner top line or sole because harder to make big cavity back. if you have the same design irons with both cast and forged, i bet you cant tell the difference.

I can actually even though I am not a pro ... The feel of cast is harsh and not so shiok even when hit on the sweet spot, at least for me ...  Laughing 

The feel of Cavity Back iron to me is less punchy versus muscle-backed blade ... I switched from blade to cavity and then back to blade again ...  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 10:01 am

What I can add to this thread (aside from my earlier rattling) is that once you're on a forged set, it's difficult to go back to cast iron Smile

I re-started my golfing on the Callaway X-20s. Got poisoned by the GRians here. Moved to the Mizuno MX300s and haven't looked back since. I'm now on my Fish Sticks and they are heavenly Smile
Back to top Go down
leobody
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 10:05 am

Damn.. This thread is getting poisonous. .
Forged to blade to fishy sticks..
find me a hole.. haha..

guess my first up wil be to forged.. at least have the fun of testing all types..
r the AP2 friendly? Saw a bro selling his AP2 with SF I 80.
Back to top Go down
odyssey23
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
odyssey23

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 am

Ok, lousy player like me normally cant feel a thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How soft is soft? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How soft is soft?   How soft is soft? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How soft is soft?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next