Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Groove Sharpener

Go down 
+5
angyongshen
Fatboy
Technospaz
peace2903
swine
9 posters
AuthorMessage
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 15, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi All,
Anyone use groove sharpener before? and feedback?

Where can I buy one in Singapore?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 am

I would like to know also. Anyone?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 6:40 am

I've used it before and found it to be good. I don't know how effective it was but it did keep my grooves clean and likely sharpened it as well. No complaints with it.

I got it from a GR'er (BT) who I don't see very often here anymore.
Back to top Go down
Fatboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Fatboy

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 6:51 am

Got it when I bought some clubs from US.

Used it form my forged wedges and found it to be good.

Loan it to friend to use on his 2nd forged irons, he is pleased with the result.

Don't think you can buy it locally.
Back to top Go down
http://www.permatex.com
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 8:39 am

I have searched the malls and some shops at FESC, nobody carries this.
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 10:33 am

I think you got to get it from GolfSmith. Got it with the help a friend. Using the one with the handle, mainly to cleans the groove only (my wedges didn't stay in bag long enough to wear out). Local condition quite hard to wear out, unless you really hitting down and place on sandy conditions often. Mud and grass are more gentle on the wedge.

For now and the year 2014, I will hope to use it to sharpen the groove. *fingers crossed*

Bottomline is that it works as advertised and you can remove material (dirt/steel) with ease (relatively). Note that if you are into conforming equipment, i don't think use this will keep it conforming.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 am

Come to think of it, does the club face really wear off that much for the groove to require sharpening? I might be making a wild guess but if it do wear off, the clubs must have been used for at least 20 years basing on a once a week game.  scratch 

If the purpose of using this tool is to clean the grooves in the club face, wouldn't a "stiff" toothbrush surfice? I would think it is more economical besides doing less harm to the club face. All you need to do is  soak the club face in water and brush away the dirt.

Last edited by TDO on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Yup, agreed. Guess this is good for anyone who wants to build a ball shredder. Or one who really compresses the ball instead of using pick and throw method or bump and run. Or have the opportunity to play from very fluffy and fine sand bunkers. 

Be warned. The smell of raw iron is quite addictive.... *sniff* *sniff*.
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 1:48 pm

its all over ebay I think.   do the groovess rust faster after using them?
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 2:09 pm

I would think that using this tool should promote rust however I have not notice any extensive rusting after using on them. I am just not really going at it that much. Maybe someone who has done it extensively can advice on the rust possibility.

Btw, if there is substantial material lost, sufficient to justify for a regroove. I guess its time to change the wedge also. Haha.
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 4:24 pm

"I would think that using this tool should promote rust however I have not notice any extensive rusting after using on them. I am just not really going at it that much. Maybe someone who has done it extensively can advice on the rust possibility."

Actually it depends on the type of clubhead you have. Mine is stainless steel so it won't rust. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Fatboy
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Fatboy

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 am

It is non-conforming but I don't care as I am a social golfer with high hcp.

It does helps me for my forged wedges as I can feel that some area of the groove are dented a little through games.

Using the sharpener, it helps to get the grooves 'back' on shape somehow.

I use it with some oil on the grooves similar to sharpening a knives in the kitchen.

My clubs have no rust or rust coming back as it is forged (not too high end ones).

I use it once a while only and not after every games or every month; I do not play on green often like once every 2 mths but goes to range once every 1 - 2 weeks.

Try it and feel if the effect is expected from you or not.

For cleaning of the grooves, best way for me is to use Silicone Spray Lub and a toothbrush to clean the groove area for my clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.permatex.com
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 9:24 am

angyongshen wrote:
Bottomline is that it works as advertised and you can remove material (dirt/steel) with ease (relatively). Note that if you are into conforming equipment, i don't think use this will keep it conforming.

So that's why the PGA rejected me! And I was going to be a good mascot too!
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 1:54 pm

those dirt remain in the groove can be remove by brush. thats what I did normally after a game. wet the club face and scrub it with brush.
Back to top Go down
cglim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cglim

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Normallly I just clean my wedges using the pressurized air + water hose right after playing. At home I'll just apply some metal polish/cleaner to ensure no dirt will remain in the grooves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Groove Sharpener Empty
PostSubject: Re: Groove Sharpener   Groove Sharpener I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Groove Sharpener
Page 1 of 1